Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Water at top of tank is "cloudy"

I have a 45G bowfront setup with Starphire Aquatics HOB fuge and an Eheim Cannister filter. For flow I have 2 Hydor Koralias and a Maxijet 1200. When I look at the water at the top of my tank from below, it always appears cloudy...like there are a bunch of tiny particles sitting on top of the water. Is this because I'm not using an overflow which would constantly drain that water from the top, or is there some other reason? Anyway to get rid of this?
Old 01/04/2008, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Sounds like normal surface film. A skimmer will get rid of it if you're skimming from the surface, or you can point a powerhead at it to create surface agitation and hide it.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Myrddraal
Sounds like normal surface film. A skimmer will get rid of it if you're skimming from the surface, or you can point a powerhead at it to create surface agitation and hide it.
I might add:
The surface agitation will break it up. lt will then enter the water, where it will be removed by a skimmer. If the skimmer is insufficient, then this will just hide it.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I agree with m2434 I would put a power head closer to the top to get some agitation.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

For a temporary fix you can lay a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface and immediately pick it up, the layer of film will stick to the plastic.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Had the same problem recently. I bought a better protein skimmer.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

I tried the powerheads pointed at the surface, and the skimmer. My skimmer at the time was insufficient. So, I ended up installing a hang on the back over-flow and sump. This resolved the problem. I bent over backwards trying not to install that sump because of the occasional leak or increased possibility of one. The benefits seem to outway the disadvantages.