Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack - On the other hand... Those links don't want to play... Are they within this thread (that way I will be able to find them based on the page # in the link), or are they elsewhere?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:04 PM
Genuine reef addict

This thread moves so fast at times that what I (slowly) type is already old information by the time I send it!

GDESQUIRE - thanks. I found the directions for the Orbit hood. Due to weight it doesn't recommend hanging it from drywall. I may get out the stud finder soon ad see if I'm lucky enough to have a joist centered above the tank (probably not). If I do I may attach the cables to the hood and get on a ladder and hold up the plate to the ceiling with the cable straight & vertical to know where to put it. If there's no joist in the right place I'll drop the idea.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:07 PM
Genuine reef addict

Fishy Something - that is weird - they open from the email I have them saved in but not from here. Try these:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=3

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=8
Old 01/10/2008, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Also as the bulb "burns" in, I believe, it should get less blue.

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by GDESQUIRE
Y-DesynGuy The phoenix bulb will be brighter and slightly less blue with the new ballast. It's simply a matter of stripping the 3 internal wires from the cord that attaches to the existing ballast and attaching those to the new ballast. Seems like NaCl+H2O Fish has sent you directions.
ReefMack: The kit comes with both screws that must be screwed into a joist or you can use the molly bolts. Take a look at the directions and at that point I can walk you through the process.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack - That better - thanks. Not sure how/why it happened, but looking at the properties of the link, the first one appears exactly as it is on screen (abbreviated with the "..." in the middle), but the new link properties actually have the full link in them.

Cheers
Old 01/10/2008, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
NaCl+H2O - the styrofoam sounds like a bit of a shock absorber.
Reefmack - I think the styrofoam is more of a cushioned 'Leveler' as it is leak checked initially, particularly if the tank might be on a slightly uneven, rather than perfectly flat surface.
It may also serve as a shock absorber down the road... Just my opinion....
Old 01/10/2008, 07:15 PM
Genuine reef addict

Fishy - Weird, but I'm glad they worked - I opened them up from the email, then copied the link from the browser itself. That means that all the mod links I posted a while back may have been useless!Live & learn!

Marty - I think you're correct on that. I think maybe all types, even fluorescent, shift wavelenth towards the yellow side (less blue) as they age.

NaCl - that makes sense. Now get outta here & work on getting that tank set up
Old 01/10/2008, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Just Wondering...

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
Also as the bulb "burns" in, I believe, it should get less blue.

Marty
Good point Marty about 'burn in' and color change in bulbs...

I wanted to see photos posted in 'Your Gallery' and found none.... I would love to see what your doing!

What tank are you currently maintaining?

Regards......
Old 01/10/2008, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

wow i goto work come back and i have to read 2 pages gotta love it and ehre is some updated pics of my tank!

Old 01/10/2008, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Re: Just Wondering...

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
Good point Marty about 'burn in' and color change in bulbs...

I wanted to see photos posted in 'Your Gallery' and found none.... I would love to see what your doing!

What tank are you currently maintaining?

Regards......
None. Currently researching. I wanted an RSM but it doesn't meet my needs. I just love this thread.

Marty
Old 01/10/2008, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

stephensturman -- Wow your mini anemone looks a lot better than mine. Maybe another day or two to get used to the tank and he will get happier. He has only been in the tank for 24 hours now.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
stephensturman -- Wow your mini anemone looks a lot better than mine. Maybe another day or two to get used to the tank and he will get happier. He has only been in the tank for 24 hours now.
With your new light, we should discuss how you should acclimate your corals so they don't bleach out.

Marty
Old 01/10/2008, 08:22 PM
Genuine reef addict

Nice tank pics Stephen! I'm still not seeing eggs on one of those shrimp - you better put some soft music on for them during the night Are you sure that's a carpet anemone (3rd pic) and not a rainbow Ricordea yuma (unless some people call yumas carpets?). Does it attach itself? Very pretty whatever it is!
Old 01/10/2008, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

martinphillip03 -- Yep I read ahead of time about the lights and I actually was using some screen over the top of the tank to diffuse the light some. My friends here locally all warned me ahead time about that.

Reefmack -- The mini anenome is "supposed" to be this thing here

Mine is about the size of a quarter and from what I was told no fish can host in them either.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

reefmack! yes it attatches itself i puy a small rock in with the anemone when i acclamated it and it moved over onto the rock. i put it in my tank and it dissapered for a day and now it showed back up on the other side of the tank! well my cleaner shrimp are really going to town lol i moved some of my rock around tonight and everytime i stuck my hand in the tank here come the cleaners and i had to keep shaken them off of my hand lol!
Old 01/10/2008, 09:19 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy, Stephen - Thanks for the information on the carpet nem - the only thing I'd seen before that looked like that was a yuma, but now I'll add another critter to my memory. Are they supposed to stay small or can they get huge like other carpet nems?

Stephen - I usually feed my flake food by putting a pinch in by submersing it with my (clean) fingertips - to keep it from floating. Most of my fish are up grabbing it out of my fingers before I release it. Pretty cool, but the Foxface is now up there handfeeding as well. I realized tonight that I need to be careful he doesn't stick one of those venomous spines in me. "Don't sting the hand that feeds you".
Old 01/11/2008, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishy Something
Reefmack - That better - thanks. Not sure how/why it happened, but looking at the properties of the link, the first one appears exactly as it is on screen (abbreviated with the "..." in the middle), but the new link properties actually have the full link in them.

Cheers
Fishy...did you get what you need from those links? I thought I had an original idea but then found this thread. I used it to draw up my "bill of materials". I modified it as well. I made it a Durso to eliminate noise and made it adjustable so the level in the display could be controlled/adjusted. Once you put in a sump the self-contained system goes away and the gate no longer controls the water level. It is then controlled by the height of the overflow. This is what I used to make it adjustable. It attaches to the portion of the overflow that resides in the existing skimmer compartment. You cut a hunk of the pipe out and replace it with this. You just need to leave enough pipe to move up and down inside of it.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:29 AM
Genuine reef addict

Marty - when you get your tank don't forget about us - let us know your progress and if you start a build type post let us know! You should be pretty knowledgeable before you get there, and that's good. I think I read posts in here day & night for a while before I took the plunge. (I think I may have been spending a bit too much of my work day in here, but shhhhh!)
Old 01/11/2008, 10:58 AM
Professional Obfuscator

I'm still not remotely bored with any of this...I think the trick is to keep the interest high by doing 'new' things to the best of our ability...

...which is part why I'm trying the frag tank...I like having my corals grow all in a row so to speak! I enjoy watching new polyps pop! LOL...very different, to my mind, than the display tank!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

There's a good article on sumps here:
Sump 101

Fixed, try it now...

Last edited by Hodge; 01/11/2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Hodge -- The link wants to open up a email...
Old 01/11/2008, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

My not so local LFS has a few of these guys in stock and the wife really likes it. Hopefully they still have one in stock today and I can surprise the wife with her very own fish.

The ones in stock are a nice size (1.5") and a decent price compared to anywhere else I've seen.

Note* stock photo from the net.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Hodge -- Love those, ive looked at those a few times. They are quite a bit of money or i would ordered one. I hope you can get one, best of luck!!
Old 01/11/2008, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

I got my camera back today and I also went and got myself a new tri-pod/mono-pod. Of course I think my friend messed with some settings on my camera. I think everything looks blurry! But here are a few shots of the rics under the new Phx 14k bulb. I will try and get a tank shot later on today, for now im off to a photo shoot I really don't want to do!

I think the rics look 100% better than they did under the stock lighting honestly.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone have a plan\idea for a sump\refuge that will fit in RSM standard stand?