Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 01:53 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
On the styrofoam under the tank - I'm confused as to what the purpose is? To absorb vibrations or ? I can't see it help keep the tank level as I would think it would just eventually become more compressed under the heaviest portion of the tank. I'm not sure what the idea is with regard to torsion?
Yes, the tank will level itself out somewhat as it 'squishes' into the styrofoam...and it also makes it less woobly under some conditions...

But it has to be the proper type of styrofoam or foam...and now I can't remember which is the good stuff...the high density is better though...

Still no reply to my question of how many boxer crabs I can fit in the RSM...but a poster left a very nice video of one of her crabs...you guys might enjoy it! It's under 'Other invertebrates'.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:57 PM
Genuine reef addict

GDESQUIRE: After your comments on hanging the light fixture, I'm thinking I might like to do that with the Current Orbit hood I have. I got a hanging kit with the Orbit but never even took it out of the box yet. How do you manage to get the mounts placed in the ceiling so that it's centered properly over the tank? Or is this something that really should be done when the tank is empty, so that the tank can be centered under the fixture? Do the ceiling mounts have to be screwed into a joist, or can molly screws or similar be used to keep them from pulling out of the ceiling and having the light crashing into the tank? ( The Orbit has an internal ballast and has a bit of weight to it). How is the hood "easily" raised & lowered - do those ceiling mounts in your gallery picture contain little retracting pulleys in them? Sorry about all the questions. I'd like to hang mine, but with my expertise I can picture getting it hung several inches off center!
Old 01/10/2008, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Lpsluver:

PM sent.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

That's What I thought, but I was just asking if anyone knew the Skimmer and pump(weather they are worth something for a cheap conversion, and upgrade as they fail), as these are the other two expensive items, and most sumps are 250 by themselves already designed. I know you could get them cheaper, but this is the average price.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:05 PM
Professional Obfuscator

...BTW...been thinking about my frag tank...am meeting with my 'designer' Tuesday

If I make it 30x12x10 that gives me close to 16g...if the 'sump' is another 8" deep, that adds 10g more - think 26g is close enough to the magical 30g to be worthwhile? Or should I continue to rethink the size...
Old 01/10/2008, 02:20 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Rue. I can't really answer the frag tank question, but I guess 26 g would be fine. It would seem to depend on how much room you have for it, how many frags you think you'd keep, etc., and maybe the cost is a factor too. Surely some others will have more knowlege than me that can give you a better answer.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:20 PM
Professional Obfuscator

...no...wait...my 25g is 12.5 inches wide...so 12.5 X 30 is stock sized right? (For lights)...so if I make it 10" tall (for max light strength for the babies) then that gives me 16.2 g...

I wonder if I can make the sump any size? Or are there 'stock size' considerations I need for that too?

I can't go any deeper than 22" in total (no more counter space)...
Old 01/10/2008, 02:22 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks Reefmack...

I'm just trying to have something workable in my own head, so when my designer makes suggestions I have something to compare against instead of sitting there going 'I dunno'...

I do know I don't want odd sizes for lights or other basic equipment...
Old 01/10/2008, 02:28 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
........... I do know I don't want odd sizes for lights or other basic equipment...
Good point Rue! Be sure the dimensions, at least the length across, will fit the standard sizes for light fixtures.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:01 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Well now! Power compacts come in 30" and T5s do not.

I'd rather stick with T5s...so then I have to go 24" or 36" and I don't have room for 36" unless I move the tank to my work-shop (I keep the cockroaches there, but still...it's tucked away in a corner of the basement and I'd rather have the frag tank beside the RSM where it's handier and in view).

And I just found out...both the 'baby' anemones that resulted as of my 'overflow incident' back in December survived and both are growing in their new homes! YAY!!!
Old 01/10/2008, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Wow this thread is really moving I cant miss a day Whoever asked about the pump mod and bubbles, no it does not eliminate the ubbles but will reduce them. Sunday chat sounds great Donna lets see who can make it hopefully me.
Reefmack; Com'on lead a chat!! kidding!
Old 01/10/2008, 04:38 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Speaking of bubbles...

Since I moved the carbon out of the powerhead chamber...

No more bubbles as long as the intake stays clean...
Old 01/10/2008, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Yes RUE that's the purpose of the idea....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
Yes, the tank will level itself out somewhat as it 'squishes' into the styrofoam...and it also makes it less wobbly under some conditions...
But it has to be the proper type of styrofoam or foam...and now I can't remember which is the good stuff...the high density is better though....
RUE , Reefmack, Y-DesygnGuy -
When Y-DesygnGuy posted the tragic RSM glass breakage, I felt it was likely due to 'torsional strain'. Now I am not a materials engineer, but on PAGE 6 of the RSM owner's manual it states:

TANK WEIGHT and SUPPORT -
"The tank weighs about 200kg / 440lbs when filled with water, reef base and live rock. If you choose NOT to use the MAX Totem Cabinet(that's my choice!), consider this weight when selecting an alternative aquarium support or stand. ....ensure that it can both withstand the weight and that it remains balanced and level.... The MAX, like all glass aquaria, may crack if subjected to sudden movement as a result of uneven water pressure on the glass walls."

The styrofoam is 1/2" thick sheet like is used to protect "ready-to-assemble" furniture parts for shipping. Not quite as dense as a picnic cooler.... If for any reason the RSM is placed and filled on a surface that is NOT COMPLETELY FLAT then it may crack! The foam, like RUE stated will allow it to "SETTLE... dare I say NESTLE" into the foam compressing it as the weight increases.

What I thought unusual was that the RSM glass failure was installed on a stock stand!

I promise.... My last post on this subject!

Earning a living is cutting into my time needed for setup of my RSM!

Kent
Old 01/10/2008, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Holy Blue Batman!

Wow!

What a difference a bulb will make. I got my Phoenix 14k bulb in today and quickly put it into the fixture. WOW its like night and day, the tank is ultra blue! With the Actinic's on everything glows! I am not sure if its the ballast not able to power the new bulb enough or if the Phoenix bulb really is that blue. I am a little nervous about re-wiring the new ballast, but maybe with a little assistance I can get it.

Unfortunately I loaned my camera to a friend and wont have it back until this evening/morning, I will take pics then of how blue it is.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:24 PM
Professional Obfuscator

So having the 'blues' isn't necessarily a bad thing then???
Old 01/10/2008, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

not always a bad thing no!
Old 01/10/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Holy Blue Batman!

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
Wow!
I am a little nervous about re-wiring the new ballast, but maybe with a little assistance I can get it.
This isn't difficult PM me!
Old 01/10/2008, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

lpsluver - I suspect sending one of your overflow boxes to Oz is out of the question? ;-)

On a serious note I am reasonably handy so probably could knock one up - have you posted a description of it & mods required for the hood somewhere & I have missed it?

If not, would you be willing to point me in the direction of it if they exist, or are you happy to give me some guidance (via PM if you would prefer)?

I am getting a new hood for my RSM next week (still under warranty) as the timer has completely locked up & does not turn at all - I am managing lights manually - having the kids turn them on when they get home from school & turning them off when I go to bed which is a PITA & then about a week ago the fan started sounding a lot like a small aircraft taking off when the lights startup... :-(

My LFS said that he has about 5 hoods that have all come back in within the past 3 weeks - RS are replacing them all.

Cheers

James
Old 01/10/2008, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Re: Holy Blue Batman!

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
This isn't difficult PM me!
PM sent my friend!

GDESQUIRE has the same set up and has wired this I believe, im hoping he chimes in today as well.

Thanks!
Old 01/10/2008, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesynGuy The phoenix bulb will be brighter and slightly less blue with the new ballast. It's simply a matter of stripping the 3 internal wires from the cord that attaches to the existing ballast and attaching those to the new ballast. Seems like NaCl+H2O Fish has sent you directions.
ReefMack: The kit comes with both screws that must be screwed into a joist or you can use the molly bolts. Take a look at the directions and at that point I can walk you through the process.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Ballast...

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
PM sent my friend!Thanks!
Received it but I am unable to respond back because your PM mailbox comes back as full!...
Old 01/10/2008, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GDESQUIRE
Y-DesynGuy The phoenix bulb will be brighter and slightly less blue with the new ballast. It's simply a matter of stripping the 3 internal wires from the cord that attaches to the existing ballast and attaching those to the new ballast. Seems like NaCl+H2O Fish has sent you directions.
ReefMack: The kit comes with both screws that must be screwed into a joist or you can use the molly bolts. Take a look at the directions and at that point I can walk you through the process.
So you don't use the two blue wires at all? I have a total of 5 wires with this ARO ballast. 2 blues and it says those go to the bulb? Then a black and a white exposed end wires. I also have a green/yellow wire with an eyelet on the end of that. I take it I should remove the eyelet then and attach the wires to the matching colored wires?

Thanks!
Old 01/10/2008, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: Ballast...

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
Received it but I am unable to respond back because your PM mailbox comes back as full!...
I cleaned it out some, wow I had no idea I had so many!
Old 01/10/2008, 06:57 PM
Genuine reef addict

NaCl+H2O - the styrofoam sounds like a bit of a shock absorber.
Y-DesygnGuy - that's why I went to a 20,000k lamp - not excessively blue but much nicer than the stock 10,000k lamps that for some reaon usually ship with fixtures. When I first put the hood on I liked the increased lighting above that of the stock RSM, but the light looked too yellowish and in that regard I liked the blueness of the stock RSM better. Putting the 20,000k on took me right where I wanted to be - a lot of extra "snap" to the coral colors, and even the 20,000k blueness doesn't look artificially blue at all.
Fishy something - try these links on Lpsluver's overflow & fuge - there might be pages with some better pics, but this is all I have saved:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...25&pagenumber=3

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...25&pagenumber=8
Old 01/10/2008, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack - thanks for that!