Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Question Heavy duty cleaning of an acrylic tank, please help!Pics! (lots of questions too)

Hey everyone, I am new to Reef Central but just thought I would post and see if anyone has any useful tips on how to clean this aquarium, or if anyone has any experience with Clarity Plus aquariums. Are they a good brand?
It's a 26 gallon acrylix hex tank.

I got it for free from my friend, it was sitting in his dad's basement for several years.

It looks like he just let the water evaporate and now it's left with lots of scale in it and minerals...gross.

I know this tank is pretty nice, I found it online for $209 new. I'd like to get it cleaned up and use it.

Does anyone know how to get rid of all these minerals and deposits in there?
Is vinegar and water too harsh? And what can I use that won't scratch the acrylic?

I'd like to just clean this baby out this week and then gradually plan to fill it and stock it over the next few months.

Freshwater, obviously. I'd like to use some Tahitian Moon sand as well but don't know if that meshes well with acrylic.

It also had a regular 20 watt flourescent bulb that has since burned out. Should I just get another regular bulb from the hardware store or is there a better looking fish bulb that I should use?

Any info about this tank would be appreciated! Thank you!

Here's the tank:
http://www.bestpetsupply.com/graphic...yplus/2236.asp

Sorry for the phone pics...

Last edited by john_matrix; 10/28/2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10/28/2007, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

I think i would fill it up and try to scrub it with your hand and just plain water at first. Take all the equipment and clean it with vinigar. You will be surpirsed how much of that stuff disapears from the tank when you fill it with water. You dont want to do any cleaning on dry acrylic.

If the tank is scratched, you will need to buff it out with Novus acrylic polishing compounds..
Old 10/28/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Thank you sir!

I was going to try vinegar.

So if I fill it up with water, can I just use a soft kitchen sponge on the acrylic parts?

I already cleaned the hood and the minerals came off pretty easily.
Old 10/28/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Fill it up, place the items in the tank, add 1 gal. of vinegar, let it sit overnight. Check for leaks, then drain it & clean it with a soft pad or an algae pad made for acrylic. I own an acrylic system & this method works well. The Novis products are great for removing scratches in acrylic. Take your time with them & you will get good results.

Good Luck & Enjoy !!

Steve 926
Old 10/28/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Yup i agree with Steve on this one and good luck! use a lil bit of elbow greese
Old 10/28/2007, 11:17 PM
Reefer

Muriatic acid will really clean it up nicely. However, you must be very careful when using it. Do not breath it in and use gloves. Fill the tank with water and pour in some of the acid and let it soak overnight. Put all the equipment into the tank to soak, except rubber items. In the morning, most of the grunge will simply sponge off. Try not to use a kitchen sponge impregnated with anti bacterial additives. Let the tank dry in the sun for a day or two, as the muriatic acid residue will evaporate.

As already noted, the Novus products work very well for scratches. It is a three part system, heavy scratches, light scratches and shine/bufffing (I think from memory).

I think you'd like one of the new t5 fixtures, as they are extremely energy efficient and the bulbs come in many great colors.

Joyce

Last edited by Macimage; 10/28/2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I used a gallon of vinegar and some hot water. I also bought an acrylic scrubber at petsmart for $2.99 and gently used it to break up the minerals in the tank. It looks good as new and the acrylic is scratch free:

Now I have to either build a stand or buy a used one, then start thinking about what I want in there. My goal is to have it fully up and running by around Christmas time.

Do you think Tahitian Moon sand is realistic to use in a freshwater tank? I'd like to use sand but I'm not sure if it's feasible.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Great job!!! I can't believe that's the same tank.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks!

Here's some update pics.

I now have two Bolivian Rams, two Guoramis, and two guppies.

Old 01/03/2008, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Nice clean up job.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Haha! You should have your own TV show!!

I would have never expected those results!!
Old 01/03/2008, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Well I guess it goes to show, acrylic is tougher than most people think. (at least in this case.)

And vinegar is pretty strong stuff!

All I did was let it sit overnight with hot water and the mineral deposits came right off.

The filter is still chugging away, working great as well.

All in all, it's turned out to be a great tank.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Wow that tank is back from the dead!!!!!!!!
Old 01/03/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I think that tank would have made a nice reef
Old 01/03/2008, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 07kar93
I think that tank would have made a nice reef
Yeah, but this was only my second tank, and it was on a budget... so no reef yet.

Maybe some day...