Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/17/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

How tough is it to build your own sump?

I have seen mostly all of Melevs DIY sumps and it seems to look easy enough to do. So my question is:

Has anyone made a custom sump by cutting acrylic pieces themselves and actually making the sump successfully who was a beginner? I'm asking because I have never glued/bonded or cut acrylic before and wanted to know if it is as simple as it sounds or should I rather have some professional make it for me?

And if you have what type of problems should I expect to run into if I do it myself?

Thanks!
Old 05/17/2007, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Another option is to use a glass tank and silicone in glass baffles. It might not look quite as pretty, but it can be just as functional. I used a glass tank so I would have a water tight box to begin with. Just less stress for a newbie like myself. JMO

Best of luck!
Old 05/17/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

I made my own as a beginner and although it was not perfect, I'm very happy with the results. The only problem I had was in not remembering to squeeze the air out of the weld-on applicator before inverting it for application. I ended up with a couple of spills on the surface that I was not too happy with. Other than that, it was fairly straight forward although I did a lot of reading on the subject first.

HTH

Mike
Old 05/17/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

You're right, it's not that difficult. I think that the main problem you would run into is just not having the proper tools to work with. If you've got most of the equipment you need then you'll be fine, but if you don't, it can get kind of pricey if you just intend to build one sump.

I guess the only problem I had during the actual construction was that one of my baffles didn't seal against the bottom of the sump perfectly. I actually used some of the scrap pieces from cutouts in the display's top to make the baffles and one ended up being not quite perfectly square.
Old 05/17/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

I used a 10gal aga with 1/4" plexiglass baffles, attached them with aqaurium silicone. Works great.
Old 05/17/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Like I said in the other thread you posted on this topic, Glass tanks are much easier if you don't have the proper tools to work with acrylic.
Old 05/17/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

my sump

I made my first with the glass tank and baffles. I now use a rubbermaid and it works fine for me.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05/17/2007, 11:40 PM
Moved On

has anybody seen the kits on ebay? looks like one can get their own 10 gallon aga and the kit supplies the rest. im thinking of doing that for mine. any thoughts?
Old 05/17/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

It's not that bad....
I'd say go for it.
As long as it doesn't have to be "pretty", you're going to make mistakes! So, plan it out ahead.
I made a $200 mistake with some 1/2" Acrylic pieces ordered in the wrong size.
But, on the bright side, I got what I needed(and exactly what I had space for.
I enjoyed it.
JR
Old 05/18/2007, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

I too am planning to build my own sump, I also read all of melev's site and finally seem to understand the physics of it all pretty well

I have to build my own due to size constraints which will result in a very small sump, even if the small size prevents the fuge from being worth while, at least it will hide my ugly heater
Old 05/18/2007, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Where do you get glass cut for baffles (I have a 20L for a sump)?

I bought Jager heaters from marine depot. Says: "completely waterproof, submersible heaters", which apparently means "completely waterproof and submersible, but only up to THIS LINE" - the *@$# things don't fit in a 20L standing upright very well...certainly can't get water up to the line.
Old 05/18/2007, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

Where do you get glass cut for baffles (I have a 20L for a sump)?

I bought Jager heaters from marine depot. Says: "completely waterproof, submersible heaters", which apparently means "completely waterproof and submersible, but only up to THIS LINE" - the *@$# things don't fit in a 20L standing upright very well...certainly can't get water up to the line.
Old 05/18/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Don't use glass for baffles, you will cut yourself. Acrylic and silicone work just fine in a glass tank. I lined the return area with acrylic to help protect it from the return pump. R
Old 05/18/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

I have glass baffles in a glass 75 gallon tank. I have no risk of cutting myself. The top of all my baffles are rounded. I got a glass company to cut my baffles for me and they then put a rounded edge on them for me. It is a very cheap way to do it.

Here is a photo: http://www.masns.ca/forum/showthread...id=2326&page=4
Old 05/18/2007, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickh
Don't use glass for baffles, you will cut yourself. Acrylic and silicone work just fine in a glass tank. I lined the return area with acrylic to help protect it from the return pump. R
I was told you couldn't stick acrylic to glass...so I haven't even tried...
Old 05/18/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin James
The top of all my baffles are rounded. I got a glass company to cut my baffles for me and they then put a rounded edge on them for me. It is a very cheap way to do it.
Where do you locate a "glass company" who will do this sort of thing, and how much is "cheap"?

Thanks
-
Mike
Old 05/18/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

not trying to hijack your thread, but have a quick question for you guys with small sumps. what skimmers do you guys use that fits in a small sump? tank will be a 65gallon. thanks
Old 05/18/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Acrylic doesn't stick very well to glass with silicone but it will hold a bit.

You can find someone to get your glass from, get it cut, and round the top edges for you usually from window companies, but i've heard things about apple auto glass as well. I think that for 4 pieces to fit something like a 75 gallon tank will cost around $50.
Old 05/18/2007, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

The silicone will work on acrylic when there is minimal pressure from water. I used cheap picture glass bought from Home Depot for my baffles. I had to cut them a little, but it worked out well. If you are afraid of hurting yourself on the baffles ( it is sharp ), you can use some fine grit sandpaper to knock the edges off.

Quote:
Originally posted by reef'n_WV
not trying to hijack your thread, but have a quick question for you guys with small sumps. what skimmers do you guys use that fits in a small sump? tank will be a 65gallon. thanks
My sump is a standard 10g. I wanted an in-sump skimmer to minimize leaking, so I went with the AquaC Urchin. Rated to 75g ( I only have a 29g ) and a small footprint.
Old 05/18/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

I just finished up a 29g tank to be used as a sump. Had the local glass company cut 4 pieces of 1/4" glass and round the edges (ask for sanded edges, not polished, there's a BIG price difference). Total for 4 baffles was $18. Siliconed them in last night and today and am quite happy with the results. It was nice being able to customize each section to the size I needed it to be.
Old 05/18/2007, 10:11 PM
Have grits... will travel

Quote:
Originally posted by pikachusalad
Where do you locate a "glass company" who will do this sort of thing, and how much is "cheap"?
A few minutes and a 25 cent piece of medium-fine (150 grit) wet/dry sand paper will work wonders.

Remember, this is the DIY forum.

AMERICAN by birth... SOUTHERN by the Grace Of God!
Old 05/18/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I just made a sump and had no experience with acrylic before. I am very pleased with the end results. It sure wouldn't make a show tank but for a sump it looks great. I do have the tools, however, and have a fair amount of wood working experience. I was determined to try it myself just so I would know if I could do it. I modified the method a little and used weights along with some shims to improve my seams.
Old 05/21/2007, 02:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coyoteseven
A few minutes and a 25 cent piece of medium-fine (150 grit) wet/dry sand paper will work wonders.

Remember, this is the DIY forum.
OK, Coyote...you are right.

I bought 3 10" X 12" panes of glass for about 2 bucks each. I bought a glass cutter for about 3.50. Wasn't paying for a bottle of glass cutting oil (wth?) I used safflower oil

Never cut glass before. Apparently, a 3/16" X 10" cut isn't probably the first cut a noob should try... But the second and third pieces of glass both survived. And, it just so happens I had some sandpaper lying around - and it DID work wonders. I used a scrap piece of acrylic for the third baffle...flow should be pretty tame by that point I hope.

Anyway...my point is - less than $10
Old 05/21/2007, 06:01 AM
Pods are food NOT FRIENDS

pikachusalad,

Don't pay any attention to the "submersible to the line" crap on the Jagers. They are TOTALLY submersible.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisB

Don't pay any attention to the "submersible to the line" crap on the Jagers. They are TOTALLY submersible.
I keep hearing this - OK- I'll stick them in the water. They're on a GFCI circuit...and all I have in there now is a damsel and some crabs and snails...

I was pretty annoyed to see that line after specifically ordering "completely waterproof, submersible heaters".

That reminds me, I need to find an accurate thermometer...