Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Will Porcelin Crab Go In A Bta?

hey guys i know porcelin crabs go into carpets so, therefore am just wondering if they do live within bta's? if they do and you personally have pics of yours can i see?

thanks lol i picked one up today and hes cute lol well ok i'll say gangsta lol hes wicked but the blue ones the caribbean ones so sick i love it...

thanks!
Old 12/23/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

I have one in my gbta. He's been there for about 15 months. I had to take the rock the nem was on out of the tank about a month ago and he fell out in the bucket. Then I picked him up and placed him on a rock next to the nem and the crab moved back into it. They are very neat. I don't have any pics. The crab is very cool I have held mine and sometimes I will poke it to get it to attack my finger. They will try to pinch you but they can't really. I have another in a rock anemone (E. crucifer) and it tries to push me away from it's nem. The white ones host nems, the blue ones don't.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

wow thats interesting well i will force mine to host it lol but yeah i couldnt get him into the tank he kept crawling up my hand and wouldnt let me get him in no matter what it took me like 2-3 minutes to get him off me lol
Old 12/23/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Ive never owned one but ive heard that they will iritate the anemone and stress it out
Old 12/23/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

I think they will stress out the anemone as they will take food off the anemone. They also wont let clowns host in them. Well you can give it a shot. Ill like to see a pics when they host each other
Old 12/23/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Here is mine:
[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/..._Anem_crab.JPG[/IMG]

It looks like he is guarding the BTA,"I dare you to come any closer" LOL

Mine does not steal food or irritate the nem. He is now in a LTA and has been for 8 months, both are doing great.
Aaron
Old 12/23/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I have two of them- one in a gbta for ~15 months and another in a rock anemone (E. crucifer) for about 3 months. There is no irritation whatsoever and they could care less about the food when I feed my nems. They just seem to sit there and filter out of the water column but if I hand them a piece of food they will take it from me, but they don't steal from my nems. I've a pair of Ocellaris with the porclein in the gbta. No problems.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

yeah i dont know how they would irritate the nem or steal food when they are a filter feeder mostly...but it'll be interesting to see if the blue one will actually host..thanks for all the posts and replies guys/girls
Old 12/23/2007, 02:21 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Porcelain crabs are filter feeders and do not take their food from anemones. They just use the anemone for protection and do not harm it. Anemones only host white porcelain crabs though. Do not force crabs for anemone to host, especially the blue ones, they may get eaten.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 12/23/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

The blue ones usually just stay hiding in the rocks filtering. They do not host anemeones.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

I used to have one in my gbta but when I got my clowns they chased him off. I rarely see him now.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:55 AM
Moved On

I have one with my RBTA and ocellaris. It was there first until the ocellaris came. The clowns really scared it off, but eventually it came back and the clowns dont even bother it anymore. I have a white one and it cleans around the anemone. Interesting creatures in my opinion.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Is this the kind of crab you have Tyler.L?

^^^That is a picture of mine^^^
She lives with my pom pom crab in a 24 gallon tank.

If it is the crab you have, these blue porcelain crabs don't host anemones