Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/21/2007, 12:16 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

plyle: i love the idea bud, i have a 30G SPS tank.... I first ran 2 tunze 6055's and i thought it was great bc they were both on controllers but then came to realize it was too much flow for my 24X18X17. The fish def hated me as well lol. I took one pump out and now the SPS are growing alot faster than they were with 2 6055's in my experience(which is not a lot lol) I think flow is more about position, and not amount. I always felt oh i am going to do such and such about of flow bc it is SPS but now i tend to lean more towards flow position. I have my rock work righ tin the middle of the tank and i point the return from the over flow to the left back part and the tunze 6055 to the front right side(dont know if i am making any sense lol) this way i have constant flow going around the front and rear of the tank, detritus still settles but its always in one lil corner where i can siphon it out easily

Loving the tank so far for sure looking forward to the rest!!
Old 12/28/2007, 07:50 PM
w3rd

Quote:
Originally posted by plyle02
I was thinking that 3 6025's modded might be a bit much as well, I can always pull one out if need be. I have them directed in a way that the flow to the center of the reef should be indirect. My goal is to alleviate any detritus from settling, which I think will be key in maintaining crystal clear water. I guess I will have to wait for now, no plans for corals for awhile. Thanks for the feedback.
i dont think 3 6025s modified would be too much. youre just going to have to find a way to position them. i have two modified 6025s and i know i still have a lot of deadspots. i have that and the hydor korlia #1 plus my return from my iwaki pump. id like to buy another 6025 though
Old 12/28/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nietzsche
i dont think 3 6025s modified would be too much. youre just going to have to find a way to position them. i have two modified 6025s and i know i still have a lot of deadspots. i have that and the hydor korlia #1 plus my return from my iwaki pump. id like to buy another 6025 though
I scaled back to 2 for now, and so far so good. They are modded, so I am still 100X plus turnover. I recently re-scaped my tank, and think the reef makes more functional sense. The bulk of my reef sits 10" under 250watt mh/ 20k bulb. I really like the design, this allows me to create more downward flow, pushing everything from the bottom into suspension. I will post some pics when I find the charger to my batteries of my camera.....bummer....
Old 12/28/2007, 09:17 PM
SPS Freak

I wouldn't use zip ties but instead use nylon screws/bolts. That way you know it won't bend or flex like a zip tie
Old 12/28/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
I wouldn't use zip ties but instead use nylon screws/bolts. That way you know it won't bend or flex like a zip tie
Nice look.... They are sitting under a 250 watt halide... The zip ties are drawn tight, and would hope wouldn't flex, but that suggestion would alleviate future heartache..... Thanks....
Old 12/28/2007, 09:49 PM
w3rd

i did mine with the nylon ones, and added some weldon to melt the brace the acrylic together because i was paranoid. mine came out really ugly but hey, no shadow

i noticed your sump was to the right of your dt, just like mine. do you plan on building a stand to enclose the sump?
Old 12/28/2007, 09:50 PM
SPS Freak

You will need a longer piece of acrylic though. But the nylon screws are white so it wouldn't look bad at all. In all honestly that center brace might not even be needed but it's always good to be safe. I would also drain the tank to 11" and then mark, drill, and bolt so the pressure is minimal on the brace.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Here are some updated pics of the re-scaping, the addition of 2 percula clowns, 2 green chromis, 18 astreala snails, 6 blue leg hermits, and 6 scarlett hermits. Thanks for looking....

Old 12/28/2007, 10:16 PM
SPS Freak

I really like the look of the tank. Nice and simple. I think some nice black sand would make that tank pop!
Old 12/28/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Thanks jay24k, still a work in progress... I am not sure about any substrate at this point, as long as nitrates are in check, I will remain totally bb. So far so good. I have added corals since the last set of pics, so here it goes, my vision taking place...... I appreciate all you guys checking out this thread, the feedback, and encouragement.....

Old 12/28/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Very nice setup Plyle

Love the rock arrangement, lots of space for light loving corals, as well as shadowed areas for lower light corals.

What are the dimensions of that tank?

waffleman
Old 12/28/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by belgian_waffleman
Very nice setup Plyle

Love the rock arrangement, lots of space for light loving corals, as well as shadowed areas for lower light corals.

What are the dimensions of that tank?

waffleman
24" long, 18 " deep, and 13" wide on sides and 15" in the middle, bowfront design... Thanks for looking.....
Old 12/28/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

This is an outstanding thread and tank!!
I have to be honest with you... I have been planning a 125-135g tank. I have moved and just sold my 46bow. So I'm tankless right now. It's probably going to be 6 or 8 months until I could gather all the equipment needed to set up that kind of tank. Plus, we're thinking of buying a new house in a couple years to accommodate the family we plan to start making. I can just imagine me setting up a 135g and then having to break it down and move it again... ugh!!

I think you just gave me an idea to start a nano tank!! Plus, this would be an outstanding way for me to dabble in some SPS which I have never done. I would love any advice or help that a first timer in SPS could get.

Thank you so much for the inspiration you have given me!!
Old 12/29/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

How do you like the Coralvue pendant?
You've got me hooked on this idea! I was looking at a 14k Hamilton Reefstar 250w for a 36g corner. What do you think?

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by FranktheTankTx; 12/29/2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the black sand idea... only problem is, you have to beef up your lights. I had an 18g viaaqua that won exhibitors choice in our club's show, and I think the black sand was a contributing factor. However, it was lit by 192 w of pc's (2x96w quads) Great tank, great growth, it was my best work I've ever done.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FranktheTankTx
How do you like the Coralvue pendant?
You've got me hooked on this idea! I was looking at a 14k Hamilton Reefstar 250w for a 36g corner. What do you think?

Any other suggestions?
I think that most would agree that a pendant w/ 250 watt should suffice. I think it would have more to do with the reef design, the tank depth, water clarity, and coral placement. I will probably move towards a 14k bulb, once the life my current bulb expires. I have not encountered any heat issues, my tank stays at 80 degrees or below during lit hours, and only drops to 79 during dark hours. IMO, I would take the time to envision the setup, draw it out on paper, and plan it out. I already had my aquascaping design, and coral species and placement mapped out before I even put a drop of water into the tank. Let me know if you need any help, shoot me a pm....
Perry
Old 12/29/2007, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ludwigia73
I agree with the black sand idea... only problem is, you have to beef up your lights. I had an 18g viaaqua that won exhibitors choice in our club's show, and I think the black sand was a contributing factor. However, it was lit by 192 w of pc's (2x96w quads) Great tank, great growth, it was my best work I've ever done.
Wow, another vote for the black sand, I tell you, I may have to consider.... I really don't want to add anymore light to the tank, I truly feel that a 250 watt pendant is more than sufficient for my purpose. The bulb is a 20k bulb, but I will probably switch to a 14k bulb next purchase.... Thanks for the feedback everyone....keep it comin.....
Old 12/29/2007, 11:37 PM
King of the Apes

sand schmand

With that skimmer on that tank + that powerful light, pay careful attention to your tissue/polyp color. If things start fading, start feeding more / add more fish.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:12 AM
SPS Freak

With that light, that sand wouldn't do much. Black does absorb light but it won't change the amount the corals are getting. I had it in my nano before I sold it and it really looked nice.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

hey perry,glad to see you are starting back up again.everything looks great so far and i cant wait to see how it turns out for you.i really like the little acro in pic 3 of this page,looks like it has alot of potential.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:32 PM
Patient Reefer

Looks great Perry. Think about a Green Slimer!
Old 12/30/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Very nice design! Good choice of lighting as well Looks great bb as well.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Thank you everyone, I am obviously very excited about this tank, and appreciate the feedback and comments.

Chris and Mike, thanks again..... Hope all is well in Tampa! Mike, have you added any corals to the 390?
Chris, I am sure your tank is still stunning as usual!
Old 12/30/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

ive had some nitrate and phosphate issues lately but this thread is about your tank what is the coral in pic 3?
Old 12/30/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by checkinhawk
ive had some nitrate and phosphate issues lately but this thread is about your tank what is the coral in pic 3?
Not sure.............
Maybe purple bonsai....No ID yet bro....
thanks again....
Perry