Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/29/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

worms

i have something killing my mushrooms. they look like little white worms. it maks the mouth of the mushroom really big and then they rot/slime away. should i just take all my mushrooms out and give the a freshwater dip. or i do have lugol's solution & seachem reef dip
Old 09/29/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

well i just did a freshwater dip with a little reef dip for 10mins .
the worms are still moving a round their white and some look 1/4in long. but my mushrooms didnt like the dip they look like their dieing now slimming real bad and some are turning brown
Old 09/30/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

bump.. no one
Old 09/30/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your mushrooms. I don't know what the white worms are. Are they a flat worm or a round shaped worm? It seems strange that they would still be alive after dipping the mushrooms. Mushrooms do not handle FW or other dips very well. I have only dipped a mushroom one time and that is because when it was shipped to me, there were also red flatworms (planaria) in the bag with the mushroom. The mushroom slimed from its foot area a lot when I put it in the QT, but the next day it was fine and it is still doing well. So maybe some of yours will still pull through.
Old 09/30/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

no they wasnt flat worms they looked more like spaghetti real little always curling and would go in to the mouth of the mushroom making the mouth of the mushroom really big. i havent seen any pics online that looked anything like it. well anyways all the mushrooms have died. guess the didnt like the freashwater. i'm getting ready to make a water change my open brain isnt likeing all the death in the tank. just wish i new what the was so this woudnt happen again
Old 09/30/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

It sounds like your mushrooms were already dying before you dipped them. When they start to die and melt away, their mouth gapes open and sometimes they expel their insides which looks like white stringy stuff. That is what you may have thought was worms, but it wasn't.
Old 10/01/2007, 04:35 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Cristi is right. You were seeing a stress sign from the mushroom. They will expell their messinterial filaments (guts), but they usually recover as long as they are in a good tank. I worry about your water parameters and why they were stressed. It could be nothing, it could be something. How were they acclimated? Was anything picking on them?
Old 10/01/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

that makes since. i have some other things not looking to good to. i had took my water to the pet store last week and hade it tested. and they said it was grate nothing out of wack. but after that i still have done two 15% water changes. the only thing i have done in the last month was bring my gravity up from 1.022 too 1.024 and had been treating for zoo pox with furan-2. i would clean the zoos with old water before i put them back in the tank. so i dont think any or much at all of the furan-2 went back in the tank.
Old 10/01/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

oh and one more thing i did buy some new mushrooms this last month and one of them on the rock already had it's mouth open. and then with in 2 or so weeks is when they all looked bad. but my xenia is dieing to it was growing like a weed where i had to keep fraging it out. but now the arms and hands look real thin and some have died. the only test kit i have is for nitrate and it's at 0. but like i said the store said it good. my tank is 7 months old now
Old 10/01/2007, 02:46 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Something isn't right. For starters, never trust a fish store that just says your parameters aren't great. Get them to test Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, pH, Alkalinity, Calcium, and even Magnesium and have them give you the numbers. Then you come home and make sure that the numbers are where they should be. You know what is better for your tank than anyone else.
Old 10/01/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

ok went to a different pet store and had them check it. this is what i have
ph - 7.8
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
phosphate - 0
calcium - 430
alkaline - he said 100 parts pre mil
temp 78
my fish, crabs, snails are all ok mushrooms are dead. the hands and arms are turning white dieing on my xenia and now my zoos are not opening . the guy at the store said he had know idea. everything seemed ok. i went ahead and added some carbon. i'm glueless on what to do now.

Last edited by rbja; 10/01/2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10/02/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

?
Old 10/02/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Your alkalinity is extremely low. If it is really 100 PPM, that is equivalent to 5.6 dKH. And your dKH should be at least 8.0. Also, your pH is too low. It should be at least 8.0 and better yet 8.2 or 8.3. Most likely if you get your alkalinity back up, your pH will also increase. You need to get an addivitive for your tank to increase the alkalinity SLOWLY. Don't do it all at once. You can go to this link to figure out how much of what additive to use to get your alkalinity to where it should be.

http://reef.diesyst.com/
Old 10/02/2007, 03:22 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Also, what lighting do you have and how old are the bulbs?
Old 10/02/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

i just used my kh test and it was 10 drops = 100ppm. thats bad right??

compact. bulbs 7 months everything was grate up to 3 or so weeks ago. i'm going to make a 40/50 % water change dont know if thats good or not. and.. i havent been cutting back my cheato so my fuge is full from the bottom to the top with it and some of is white and dead. but not alot. whould you think that could have anything to do with it? i have 3in of sand in my fuge with no snails or crabs so it's not the cleanest. but.. everything tested 0...

and would my mushrooms spit their guts out and other things die from my alkalinity and ph being that low?
Old 10/03/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

bump.. sorry just trying to fix this
Old 10/03/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

hmmm just checked my fresh salt water that i had made 26 hrs ago. and i'm only getting 80ppm on the kh
Old 10/03/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

What kind of salt is it?
What kind of gravel do you have?

You have a very low KH (buffer) that causes the PH to be unstable, that's the reason for your low PH (7.8) while it should be at least 8.2.
Old 10/03/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

red sea coral pro salt. aragonite
Old 10/03/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

can someone move this to the chemistry forum
Old 10/04/2007, 02:40 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
i just used my kh test and it was 10 drops = 100ppm. thats bad right??
That depends on the test kit. Every kit is different. I'll assume your one of the many people that start out with Aquarium Pharmecuticals. If so, then you have 10dKH, not 100ppm. You might want to read through the directions again. That's actually 178.575 ppm. If it is 10dKH, then you're actually looking really good.

What type of water movement do you have and how did you acclimate them?
Old 10/04/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

my test kit is nutrafin. and this is what it has "multiply the total number of drops by 10 to determine the carbonate hardness in mg/(ppm) as calcium carbonate (cac03)
and i have good flow

i'm slowly adding baking soda trying to get it to come up.
can salt go bad? like i said i made some new salt and the next day i checked it and it was low(before i put it in the tank). if the salt is good then why didnt this happen a long time ago. because this just started in the last 3/4 weeks. and before that everything was growing good and i've used this salt since i put the tank up

Last edited by rbja; 10/04/2007 at 03:43 PM.