Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

^ From that picture, the base doesn't have that same green and the polyps are not as red. However, it is a nice looking piece.
Old 11/13/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

If you look close it's base does have some green tint to it. Left and right side edges.The side facing you does not get as much light. The other side that faces the light has more of a green base.

My frag came from TFP. I'm sure Tim knows the lineage of my frag.

The polyps may turn red in 10K lighting. I use 20K.

Last edited by znut Reefer; 11/13/2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

Wow tfp has some nice stuff i would like to see his colony of this. I bet it looks awesome.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:38 AM
August TFR Relay '07

znut, that monti was orginally from copps and was known as his vesuvius danae. when i saw maximus' tank (before he got out), he had a nice sized colony going of it. i think his was from the same lineage that became the AE fire engine monti.

its a pretty slow grower for me and does not like to be moved or fragged. but the polyps on it are insanely reddish orange.

this lousy pic is about a month old. my colony is pretty small...almost the size of a golf ball.

Last edited by tfp; 11/13/2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:49 AM
Full Time Tank Slave

I know that there are several Monti's out there with similar color combinations. The body texture, base color and poly colors are all usually different though. Off the top off my head I know of 7. They're all nice.

Hawaiian Punch
Canadian Reverse Sunset
Fire Engine
Tequila Sunrise
Reefready Reverse Sunset
P & P Monti (Pepperoni & Peppercini)
Old 11/13/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

An old picture of my Fire Engine:
Old 11/13/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Eric you have to check out this new one Hugo and i have .We got about 2 month ago.It was brown with red polyps ,now it is green with red polyps nothing special right well the base is now turning pink.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Jose, When are you going to post those pictures? Talk about a nice combo.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:29 AM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by tfp
znut, that monti was orginally from copps and was known as his vesuvius danae. when i saw maximus' tank (before he got out), he had a nice sized colony going of it. i think his was from the same lineage that became the AE fire engine monti.

its a pretty slow grower for me and does not like to be moved or fragged. but the polyps on it are insanely reddish orange.

this lousy pic is about a month old. my colony is pretty small...almost the size of a golf ball.

Wow! It's been a few years since I got this piece wild and I've not sent it around too much due to the above reasons... What a stunner though... the reddest encrusting monti polyps I've ever seen which don't waver too much, but the base is very testy in keeping its color... Here's an old shot of mine, but I still have a piece of this front and center...

I also have another wild monti I called years ago the cotton candy monti that is similar, but the polyp color was lighter, the base wavered in color all the way to blue purple, and the texture was smoother and less "danae-like"...

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I need Hugo to come over and take some shot of my new system and i will take advantage while he is over.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Here is an older picture of mine not colored up from a recent tank upgrade. This is the slowest growing monti I own.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

I gotta get a piece of that!
Old 11/13/2007, 03:11 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Dammit! Let's just consolidate these into one name!

I vote for...

...Pizza & Tequila at Sunrise in Hawaii
Old 11/13/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

This is very difficult Karl because even thought some might look the same they are all not alike,for exa the sunrise monti has the same colors but the corallites are sunken in and so on and so fourth.How is your Hawwiian Punch doing?Do you have any pix for us yet?

Last edited by JOSE CASAS; 11/13/2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11/13/2007, 05:22 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I was just playing, Jose. They are quite different. The Hawaiian Punch has very small polyps compared to the others. The Canadian Sunrise/Forest Fire has a very deep lime-green color base.

The HP is hanging in there.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Tha is wierd because all my pieces of the HP have huge polyps ,may be you might need more or less flow.The polyps are just as big as the sunset monti.I will post a pix soon.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
Wow! It's been a few years since I got this piece wild and I've not sent it around too much due to the above reasons... What a stunner though... the reddest encrusting monti polyps I've ever seen which don't waver too much, but the base is very testy in keeping its color... Here's an old shot of mine, but I still have a piece of this front and center...

I also have another wild monti I called years ago the cotton candy monti that is similar, but the polyp color was lighter, the base wavered in color all the way to blue purple, and the texture was smoother and less "danae-like"...

Copps
You back up in the contiguous states now John ? I heard that you collected some nice fish while you were down in the islands . Great looking coral, btw... very mellow "feeling" colors
Old 11/13/2007, 08:57 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks Tom... back home to real life... That was the most ridiculous trip ever for so many reasons... For those who haven't read about it check it out...

What are the origins of all of these montis by the way, and who has mine?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 11/13/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

I got something similar a while back from Ultimatefrags. Rommel labeled it a forest garden monti-

Old 11/13/2007, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Do I see blue polyps?
Old 11/13/2007, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Here's pics of mine from Aquatic Bliss. I believe I got the first frag from their colony. First pic is several days after I got it and the second pic is today.

Old 11/13/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Hi John (Copps)

You know I have a frag of your monti. It's looks the same as the frag I posted of the one I got from tfp.

Come to find out, looks like I have 2 frags.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:05 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

I have seen it called forest fire and sunrise monti..

Cherry corals sells it and it look nice very reasonably priced too, that is where I got mine.

http://www.cherrycorals.com/view_product.php?product=47

Forestfire and sunrise is not a Montipora danae type though like some of the pics here. I believe the Danaes here are something different.. The reverse sunset is something different too..

The green on mine has lightened up some too since i got it. What lighting are you guys keeping them under to keep the dark green.

Dave
Old 11/14/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

I keep mine under t5s. I'm not sure about what you said Dave. If the forest fire is not a Danae, then what is it? I believe it to hold true to all the characteristics of a Danae.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:57 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by kurplunk
I keep mine under t5s. I'm not sure about what you said Dave. If the forest fire is not a Danae, then what is it? I believe it to hold true to all the characteristics of a Danae.
Look at reefready or cherry corals they do not have the classic bumps.. I honestly think there are two different corals. The ones from aquaticbliss does though..

Maybe the forest fire and sunset are two different corals. Will the real forest fire please stand up.

look at the superman monti there are two type two. The wild which is a danae type and the other which is smooth..

Dave