Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 06/14/2007, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

opinion on adopting non-captive-bred species

I just wanted to get some feedback here on an ethical issue I've been pondering about "responsible reefkeeping."

I'm new to reef aquariums and did months of research before starting my first tank in January. My original plan was to try to create a tank that had no wild collected specimens- fragged corals, tank-raised fish, and the live rock was going to be aquacultured and cement rock.

It started out well, but then I saw an ad from a guy near my house who was "getting out of the hobby". He was breaking down his tank and selling off everything, so I ended up taking a watchman goby, some live rock (unknown origin) and a cleaner shrimp. So there went the original plan, though I'm always flexible when it comes to planning.

I know that the idea of "responsible reefkeeping" means more than any strict adherence to rules or regulations, but I'd like to hear the opinion of others who try to buy only tank-raised fish, corals, etc. on buying wild-caught species from private parties who are breaking down tanks to move, downsize, etc.

I think of it as a form of adoption. The specimens have already been removed from the sea, so someone has to continue caring for them for the remainder of their lives, and by buying from a hobbyist I don't feel like I'm directly supporting the retail/wholesale business of wild collection. Or am I still?

Just food for thought. Thanks.
Old 06/19/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Very interesting and a good point. I work in a fish store where I often see what happens to wild caught specimens who do not adapt to captivity and it is heartbreaking. I have mostly aquacultured corals in my tank but am guilty of having bought some wild caught fish.

My land crabs that I keep are all wild caught. I do in fact feel quite guilty in buying them and so have begun adopting them in the past few years. I do feel much better about that and the person who didn't want them feels good knowing they are going to a good home.

I think when you do buy, limit yourself to just the captive specimens. They will be healthier and you will feel better about it.
Old 06/19/2007, 05:20 PM
Team RC Member

My opinion goes back a number of years---to freshwater hobbyists and discus fish, the one time unattainable goal of freshwater aquarists.
You couldn't get them to live. But people kept them, studied, them, got them to live, and breed, and now they're quite abundant in various color varieties.

My opinion: DON'T get a wild-caught specimen nobody can keep---UNLESS you're an expert with a really good system. If you are, consider whether you're willing to devote the time, patience, and documenting/communicating that will increase knowledge about this species, with a goal toward fragging or reproduction tanks.

Knowledge has to come from somewhere. A life lost in the pursuit of knowledge at least *means* something...as opposed to one wasted because some self-centered aquarist got a showpiece to show off, vs. one to study, document, and put up a heckuva fight to keep healthy.

I firmly believe that what we do is in the vein of the old 'gentleman scientist' or 'amateur astronomer.' What we do, with adequate documentation and records-keeping, is useful.

If we are purists only for the sake of our purism, and let a life be lost or go to inexpert [and maybe lethal] hands just so we can say "I have no wild-caught anything", I'm not for that. I'm for keeping things alive if at all possible. But I'm not for paying extravagant prices and funding the rape of a reef out in the wilds. If you do import something, be sure to frag it---lots---and make sure it's immortal in 10,000 tanks, which will keep the price low and protect it in the wild.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/24/2007, 09:50 PM
Moved On

In my opinion, taking animals in via “adoption” enables the former owner to act irresponsibly in regards to the hobby. The hobby isn’t something you can pick up and move with and if you have a job that does not allow you to keep your hobby, purchasing animals you eventually can’t care for is irresponsible. When people know they can purchase irresponsibly because someone else will be responsible, it keeps this circle moving.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad someone took the animals in considering they shouldn’t be put down because of someone’s negligence, but… where’s the line? For those aquarists who buy sharks only to grow them up, possibly leaving them deformed from inadequate housing and care, only to dump them off at the local fish shop or –they hope- the zoo, that’s very irresponsible. Keeping an animal you can’t care for is irresponsible.

You set your standards. You want to maintain an aquarium free of irresponsibility. I wouldn’t put my ideal aquarium aside just because something was free or cheap. If you want to do good for that specific animal, that is different than your original goal for the aquarium. It’s up to you to decide what you believe in and want to keep.

But, that’s just a little of my opinion. I could drone on and on about captive animals and coral. :P
Old 06/26/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

I have about 50 50 in my tank and I frag and if someone wants my fishes baby fish when they start to mate i am all for it.
I believe that you need a mix of both captive and wild specimens in order to help inform people about the hobby and about the need for conservation in the wild.