Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the Main Cause Of Global Warming?
CO2 and other green house gasses 18 64.29%
the sun 8 28.57%
whats global warming? 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07/22/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

newsflash scottras: It has happened many times before.
Old 07/22/2007, 08:16 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Hippie, I suggest a cliff notes review of planetary evolution. The conditions on planet earth have never been stable. The romantic view is that THIS current set of conditions is the RIGHT set of conditions that we must strive to lock in place. It is a shallow understanding of the planet, let alone the universe. You view the entire universe through your romantic and jaded vision of what YOU think is right. Sadly that view does not coincide with science or history. It only matches a small snapshot that supports your position.
Maybe you should rely less on Cliff Notes and dig a little deeper. Condition stability is relative, but nature balances itself to whatever those conditions are. Are we helping to keep conditions stable? Heck no.
Quote:
Bluntly, I have read many of your posts regarding this subject and firmly beleive that you know very little about the subject and instead push your agenda with emotion and hearsay. I don't think you are a bad person, rather I think you mean well. Meaning well and being correct are vastly different things.
Lol, oh, ok. What facts would you like? I've got enough to bury you up to your neck.
Quote:
Global Warming is not a conspiracy, it is a misguided movement that has turned into a religion. It is a reality that has been part of the Earth's evolution and will be with or without man's presence.

Thanks hippie, but I do not need your help. The kind of help you offer is exactly what is fueling the misinformation and allowing the dishonest to harness this topic and propel it into a global governance of humanity.

Did the dinosaurs prepare correctly for the ELE that removed them from the face of the planet? What was the severity of the problem? What about the shifting of the continents and the extinction of species that has occurred because of it?

What do we say about species that extinct and/or outcompete other species? What about species that take advantage of others species? What about species that kill others out of malice? It has happened since life was sparked.

Why not extinc us all and let the earth be at peace? Would that give you the conditions you desire? Should we just wipe out man or should it be all creatures?

I do not fail to understand (as you stated in your response). The sinking feeling that overcomes me is that well meaning folks such as yourself are mired in the minutia and politics and fail to see the big picture. It is you who does not understand. Your stuck with some romatic notion that mother nature is beautiful and man is evil and needs to change.
Lol.
Quote:
Look at this thread: We have a race car driver that wholly believes that carbon emissions are killing the planet but in the same breath excuses their own pollution by providing offsets. It is comical and just too convenient.. The truly moral and honest thing for that person to do (If they honestly believe what they preach) would be to partake in the offsets but not the damaging activity. That however is not convenient.

Look at your statements over time (here at RC) on this subject, you own a reef and use electricity to run that reef. You own a computer and other technology that YOU justify using. Yet you are a very outspoken person on the subject of carbon emissions and mans impact on the planet. Nothing like having the cake and eating too. "That is a good idea, but not in my backyard" permeates humanity. It gets harder and harder to swallow the nonsense when you look at the real BIG PICTURE.
So, the "believers" should move into the hills and eat berries? Great idea. That's not the way forward and it isn't what anyone is advocating.
Quote:
Several of the posts in this thread fully illustrate the real problem. The man made GW movement is being pushed by misinformation and a lack of understanding by people who value opinion and feelings more than facts and science.
Please, oh please enlighten us with your superior knowledge gleaned from the mysterious vault of data that has been forbidden us mere mortals. I kneel to your glory.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 07/22/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
newsflash scottras: It has happened many times before.
Really? When was the last time this happened? I know CO2 levels have been higher in the past than they are now, but not in the last 300,000 years.

At what rate did this last happen? What was the human population when it last happened?

Newsflash Bean: our current situation has NEVER happened before.
Old 07/22/2007, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HippieSmell
Maybe you should rely less on Cliff Notes and dig a little deeper. Condition stability is relative, but nature balances itself to whatever those conditions are. Are we helping to keep conditions stable? Heck no.
I do not rely on cliff notes. You are talking in circles. Are we part of nature? Does nature balance itself? There is no balance, it is a constantly evolving environment.

Quote:
Lol, oh, ok. What facts would you like? I've got enough to bury you up to your neck.
Hippie, to be frank I have not seen your provide anything more than propoganda and the same old "science" that othes keep providing.

Quote:
So, the "believers" should move into the hills and eat berries? Great idea. That's not the way forward and it isn't what anyone is advocating.
No just do as you please, buy your offsets and pretend your doing your part while looking down on the non believers. It seems to be working for a lot of you It is your right to beleive whatever you want. Just don't attack me becuase I think differently.

Quote:
Please, oh please enlighten us with your superior knowledge gleaned from the mysterious vault of data that has been forbidden us mere mortals. I kneel to your glory.
And here comes the personal attacks. Par for the course. Why is it that everytime you enter a discussion on this topic, you resort to this?

Why is it that those who preach kindness, tolernance and equality and open mindedness are usually those who the most closed minded and act in a way that contradicts exactly what they appear to preach? Baffling.
Old 07/22/2007, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottras
Really? When was the last time this happened? I know CO2 levels have been higher in the past than they are now, but not in the last 300,000 years.

At what rate did this last happen? What was the human population when it last happened?

Newsflash Bean: our current situation has NEVER happened before.
Just because it has never happened does not mean that it humanity causing it. You can not pick a convenient time reference for each fact. You have to look at the whole timeline.

Does the fact that this warming trend started long before the industrial revolution matter? Shall we ignore that for the sake of convenience?

300,000 years is meaningless blip.

I am not interested enough in this conversation to put any more energy into it. To be frank, I tire of this conversation. Nothing good is good is going to come from it. If you are honestly looking for information to balance your knowledge, then I hope you find it.

Be careful what you wish for. The folks leading the charge have no noble cause in mind. Man made or not, the GW religion is quickly being exploited by greed and power.

Enjoy folks... good luck with the sunscreen.
Old 07/23/2007, 06:23 AM
10 & Over Club

I think this thread is done for....

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)