Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Mantis's Reef food

I am wanting to make up a batch of the fish\coral food and was wondering if anybody local had managed to round up all the ingredients and where they got them from? I'm getting low on the stuff i am using and want to switch over to home made stuff. I have a dedicated food processor ready for the job. Maybe if someone wants to go in on it we can make one big batch and split it. Let me know.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

I've been making it a point to check Giant Eagle's seafood section the last couple times I've been in there, and most of the ingrediants don't seem to be a problem to get. I've seen fresh oysters, clams, scallops, muscles, and shrimp.

When I was thinking about making some I found the hardest thing to get will probably be the sushi eggs, as we really don't have a good asian store anywhere around here.

I may be interested in going in on a batch if it ends up you make some.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

There is an Asian store in North Olmsted i plan on checking out today when i get over that way. I plan on doing this pretty soon, like maybe today or some time this weekend.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

there are some good asain stores downtown in "china town" the area around st clair and 25-35th. There are several stores in that area just not sure exactly where.
Old 12/28/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

ill go in as well ,,,,,,, if your gonna make a batch and need takers on pitching in ,,, im in ,,,,, let me know

dont really know if you need help mixing it all up ,,but if you do ,,,get ahold of me although i have never done it before ,,,,,,
Old 12/28/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Sams club has a 5lb bag with squid,octopus,scallops,crab, and shrimp.

it was about 10 bucks
also might of been a little diffeent ingredients. don't remember for sure.

sean
Old 12/28/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

I am in if we are making a batch and can probably come up with some sushi eggs might be able to get a lg qty of them
Old 12/28/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

I am going to try and round up as many of the ingredients as i can tomorrow. I think my sister has a Sams membership. My only concern is finding stuff with no phosphates in it as that is one of the problems i am trying to cure with this homebrew. Oldreefer76 if you can get some sushi eggs that would work, i don't know that we will need a huge amount. I will post tomorrow with what i have come up with. I plan on testing for phosphates before we start grinding up the stuff.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

I am doing work at a new japanese hibachi restraunt under construction in Westlake will check with the owner on getting the eggs Monday and or stop in China Town have a small job to do East side before returning to my big install in westlake, how much and exactly what kinda eggs do we need?