Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, but I don't have the time to read 38 pages of posts. This will be my first tank that doesn't use HOB. I have an 80 tank that I bought used and am redoing. It currently isn't drilled. Can this be done drilling holes on the back and not the bottom of the tank. Please "dummy" down your answers as much as possible. I am completely new to the "sump scene"

Thank You,

Christy
Old 09/12/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

I think it should work, you could drill the main hole lower and the backup hole where you want the water line to be. Restrict the lower hole so the water level raises just to where the backup hole is.
Old 09/12/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

It'll work fine but still use an internal overflow box so you don't have to raise the entire tank level
Old 09/13/2007, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

I drilled two holes in the back at the same height one on each side. I built an overflow box approx. 5.5 X 5.5"across the back on the inside, each bulkhead has a 90 degree elbow one is turned down and is the main drain, the other is turned up and is the overflow. It works, and is silent.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

robertifly-

Do you have any pictures?
Old 09/14/2007, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

click on "my gallery" there are a few on last page. I have since separated the feed to the refuge from the corner. drain as I did get some gurgling sound back from that but nothing now. The OF box all the way across the back was an idea to get more skimming action from the water surface which it does, however it takes up quite a bit of tank and I'm not sure two smaller corner boxes won't do as well.
Old 09/21/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

so i have read half of this thread so far, is it the general consensus that you dont need a stand pipe for the main drain (just have a naked bulkhead w/screen)? The stand pipe has no effect on the water level in the overflow?
Registered Member

so i have read half of this thread so far, is it the general consensus that you dont need a stand pipe for the main drain (just have a naked bulkhead w/screen)? The stand pipe has no effect on the water level in the overflow?
Registered Member

Old 09/21/2007, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tgbaby1
The stand pipe is a insurance so you don't overflow the overflow box. You still need to adjust the water level in the overflow box about half way up.
Old 09/21/2007, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

This system do not work for me i have large tank with two overflows in both side of the tank .
The high flow in my tank will shift from right to left every six hours .
So one of the overflow boxes will be full to the top with water and the other empty every six hours ....now you see this system is not for everyone.
I small tank with a single overflow , or a tank with a low steady flow will work and it will be very quiet.
Old 09/25/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Great idea!

m working with 4 holes, and 2 megaflow kits. 2 returns and 2 drains. The drains have an adjustable standpipe. I took off the U shaped pvc that forms the durso and adjusted to Herbie reccomendations.

Anyone try this with the AGA megaflow kits. I cnat seem to see the added risk if the standpipes shifted. If the emergency drain slid lower, no risk, and the primary could not slide up.

Seems like an easy mod.

Thoughts.
Old 09/25/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Great idea!

m working with 4 holes cneter overflow, and 2 megaflow kits. 2 returns and 2 drains. The drains have an adjustable standpipe. I took off the U shaped pvc that forms the durso and adjusted to Herbie reccomendations.

Anyone try this with the AGA megaflow kits. I cnat seem to see the added risk if the standpipes shifted. If the emergency drain slid lower, no risk, and the primary could not slide up.

Seems like an easy mod.

Thoughts.
Old 09/25/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Seems to be working. Those adjustable standpipes on the megaflow kits are perfect. They are even 1 1/2 at the top, wich I believes adds more head presure. I am using a ballvalve, but I have ordered a gate valve. I have it closed approx 1/4. My return is a Sedra 9000, rated at 900 gph. With headloss Im at around 700 gph. The point being, allthough rated at 600 gph, the 1" drain, when used according to this method, pulls more than 600 gph. Probably around 900 gph. I am not a rocket scientist, but I believe without the air, you boosting the drain capacity.

Once again, I have two 3/4 returns, and 2 1" drains. Using 1 for drain, 1 for backup.

Night and day compared to the durso's, and the sump noise and bubbles have been SLAYED!
Old 09/27/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Oh well, found this thread just after completing my first overflow equiped aquarium. And I've already ripped out and re-done some of the plumbing and really dont want to do it again. I'm using durso style intakes and a capped T on the outflow in the sump. About the only noise I hear now is actually inside the drain plumbing... I can hear water & air rushing down the pipes - seems mostly comming from the bulkhead area. But its not very loud and when I finally finish my stand (put doors on it) I hope to make it even quieter.

I'd love to try this out but I've already plumbed the returns through the bulkheads (so I dont have the extra bulkhead for emergencey). And I used ball valves on the drains. Maybe next time.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Just an update, it has been nearly 2 years since the use of this system, without any emergency drain, and haven't had to even adjust the valve for the last 6 months.

The water level in the overflow box does go up and down, yet the drain and the return pump/pump chamber all work together to self-regulate the flow surprisingly well.

The only catch is my system does not use an auto-topoff. If auto topoff is used it may not self-regulate correctly.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

In my experience, it doesn't self regulate with 2 overflows, and I have to adjust the valves quite a bit.

Sometimes it stays reasonably steady for a week, but whenever I have to turn off the return pump (water changes), I have to start dialing it in from ground zero.

I'm going to try putting a stockman pipe into one of the overflows (on the emergency drain) and see if it helps to kill the noise it makes when the emergency drain is in use (it always is a little bit, since otherwise the water level slowly goes down and then gets very noisy. I can never hit the sweet spot for long with both overflows).
Old 01/02/2008, 07:51 AM
Memium Prember

I wonder if you could get the two overflows to be more consistent by somehow connecting the drains together to allow them to balance?
Old 01/02/2008, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I'd love to hear from others who have tried the Herbie method with two overflows!
I'll see if I can rig something up and see if connecting the drains works.
Thanks for the idea!
Old 01/02/2008, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

My experiences have been the same as siskiou's, although I'm more than happy with the system. It was 2 years in October that I've been using it.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

funkyman,
how do you deal with the fluctuating levels and keep the ensuing noise (either from level getting too high and gurgling into the emergency drain, or from getting too low) to a minimum?
Old 01/02/2008, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

my sytem is dead silent (not kiding) i have to see the water to know it flowing.... I utilize 2x1262 for return pumps my drain is
2x 1.5" - to gate valves with a 1.5" backup drain.
the only thing i can hear is my skimmer ATI bubblemaster 250
Old 01/02/2008, 02:40 PM
Hammy Bird

I have dual inch and a half drains merging into a 2" pipe with a 2" gate valve. Been running this for about 3 years now.
At first it drove me crazy because it killed the noise of 3200 gph going through the overflows but the fluctuation was so much that my ATO no longer worked.
At this point i really dont worry about the flux anymore.

What kind of flow rate are you pushing?
Old 01/02/2008, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

i'm pushing 1800 through my sump / refugium

total water flow in tank is
2x 6100
2x 900 gph (1262)
and a single dart for now close loop

expantion room for one more (as you can see)
Old 01/02/2008, 03:22 PM
Hammy Bird

For months I tried to figure out why it fluctuated so much... it was usually low in the mornings and higher in the evenings, at least during that summer. Since then I have seen it low in the evening... etc.

My best guess is barometric pressure. I started "auto" toping off another way and no longer care about the flux... but that me.
I hardly ever adjust the valve, its usually the screens getting dirty that causes mine to overfill and the emergency drain to get used.