Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

OT: A new addition

Hello, look what big red dropped off! A 4.5-5 FT Red Tail Boa. Its a girl and is very nice. Here are some pics.
Anyone else got a snake or reptile?

And a random one of the poodle!

Merry Christmas all!
Old 12/26/2007, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

I have a African House snake. We have had it approximately 6 years. Most books will tell you that snakes are color blind. I buy 1 large adult mouse a week. During growth spurts she eats 2 a week. BUT, she only eats white mice. She refuses all mice with black or dark brown markings. Will only eat live food, no frozen mice for her!

The best bedding is the crushed walnut husks. If ingested, the granules go right through. It is the easist animal we own to take care. The bedding is all natural and not treated. It obsorbs liquids and odors and is relatively cheap. I use a kitty litter scoop to spot clean. Great undemanding pet! Hope you enjoy your new pet.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

I had a Red Tailed Boa for about 7 years.
She was a wonderful snake and one of my favorite pets I have had.

She was about 6 feet when she met her untimely demise.

I had been feeding her 2-3 mice a week. I was transitioning her to Rats. Before feeding the Rats I would spin them by their tail onto a hard flat surface to (attempt) to break there necks (but leave them warm). On her third rat (it was large, too large really) I whacked it three times (because it kept moving) and thought I had knocked it out. I placed it in the tank and she went to work squeezing and preparing to eat (one of the most incredible sites). Once she had it in the death grip, the Rat revived and bit into her back and clawed her very badly (the main reason I attempted to kill the rats). It happened so quickly I could not do anything, I felt helpless. She managed to finish the rat off and swallow it, but the damage turned out to be fatal. I was very sad to lose her as she had been through college with me and was a wonderful pet.

So the lesson here is chose/prepare your food carefully, large mice and rats can fight back. She would not take frozen food which made feeding all the more challenging.

Enjoy your new companion. Red Tailed Boas can live for many years.

Ken
Old 12/26/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

ya she is really sweet. much nicer than my brazilian rainbow. she is eating largre frozen rats. Her name is Betsy and is much less demanding than my reef . I picked her out at captive born reptiles. That place is really cool and has all kind of snakes. It is near phishy on morse rd.

I am only going to feed her 1 rat a week because I dont want to powerfeed her and get to big. feeding live is a pain because my brazilian would only eat 50/50.
Lets see some pics of your snake igotsalt.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I have a mother - in - law, does that count?
Old 12/26/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

lol it might but depends on your idea of a snake.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

We have a bearded dragon.
Old 12/26/2007, 06:00 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

I use to breed snakes, jungle carpet pythons, albino cal kings, pastel ball pythons, burmese ( albino and het for albino). I have had quite a bit snake wise, corn snakes, cal kings, milk snakes, burms, indian pythons, red tail boas, white lips, scrub pythons, green and yellow anacondas, green tree pyhtons, dumerils boas, you name it I pretty much had it. Got rid of it all after the big power loss a few years ago over x-mas as I did not want to go through that ever again. I did not loose a single snake but having 16 snakes including veiled chameleons, leaopard geckos, and bearded dragons and no power was tough so i switched to the reef hobby. On a side note I would avoid Captive Born Reptiles. Terry the owner has some questionable husbandry/care skills not to mention his prices are very high. Every month here in columbus there is an All Ohio Reptile show that has ALOT of reputable dealers where you can get stuff at a fraction of the price you would be paying at captive born reptiles. I had all my snakes eating frozen thawed as it was alot easier to do it that way not to mention less parasites and you never had to worry about a snake being bitten by a rat/mouse.
Old 12/26/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

We have 8 ball pythons(pinstripe, het albinos, pastels and normals). Also have leopard geckos about 20 of the 4 African Fat Tails. Here are a couple of pics.

Some babies we hatched out a few months back,

Have to say just about everything Bcollins named we have had also.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by funkyman
We have a bearded dragon.
That's it! That's what my wife's mother is!

That Captive Born Reptiles guy is freakin' sweet! I actually live and work about two hours out of Columbus. SOmehow our FFA guys found him and brought him down for a presentation. He took about two hours, went through all these creatures, released the alligator in our gym, passed our snakes and lizards, etc.

It was the coolest presentation
Old 12/26/2007, 10:36 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

The reason I do not like him is someone i know who is a very close firend bought a snake from him, it ended up having mouth rot when he bought it. I told him to take it back and get your money back that it had had it for some time. he took it back and Terry proceeded to take a whole tube of neosporen, put all of it in the snakes mouth and said this will fix it... a day later it is worse. Takes it to Animal Care Unlimited where they have a herp. vet and the vet pretty much says what the hell is in his mouth, they tried to clean it out but it was to late... dead because of the neosporen. They opened the snake up it was full of neosporen.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

That sucks. He also has a six foot gator that he lets his six year old daughter play with.

His presentation was cool, his judgement could use some work.
Old 12/27/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

I got my Brazilian at the reptile show, I knew the breeder so I knew he was legit. One of my friends got really screwed at the reptile show with her RTB. My favorite things is when people have wild caught boas and they have a picture of snakes coming out of eggs and say that what they came out of a month a go.

Pastelball I love the colorations of those balls. Is that the only snake you breed?
Old 12/27/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Yes, they are the only ones we breed now. Let me know next time you go to the show. I know just about who to buy from and not to. Been doing the show off and on for about 6 yrs.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Ya I will be going soon but not to buy a snake. Just mainly to get frozen rats in bulk.