Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2005, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Fart cans, and BOOMING BASE car stereos.

I hear these little 4 cylinder cars all the time with this disgusting wheezing loud exhaust noise all of the time. I guess they feel that loud exhaust, no matter how bad it is, it’s better than quiet exhaust. There is good loud and bad loud. There is a firebird in my neighborhood that has a crappy sounding loud exhaust. I don’t know what he did, but whatever the mod was it stinks. The only thing that I can think of that is worse is those fart cans, that sound like a junk motorcycle. Then there are those cars with a booming base sound system that rattle the cars trunk and fenders. I have literally been maybe 4 or 5 car lengths away and the bombing is unbearable. I can’t imagine what it would be like to be in one of those cars. I mean, you would probably either need ear plugs or your hearing would be seriously damaged. This is coming from a guy that likes hard rock and metal music. I have been at concerts that the volume is so loud it actually penetrates your body, but the base is appropriate for the music. I seriously doubt the base at a concert is as loud as it would be IN one of those cars. I just don’t get it. I can’t even make out the music it is so drowned out by the base. What is the deal with that? Maybe some of our younger members can explain this kind of thing, because I just don’t get it.
Old 10/25/2005, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Fart cans = race cars!
[/sarcasm]

For bass, I like adequate bass supplementation, but not deafening. Also, I find it quite humorous that those idiots think rattle = sounds good.

IMHO, generally comes down to people wanting to have nice cars, and nice sounding audio systems, yet have absolutely no idea what they're doing or what is actually good. Stickers, extra gages(usually not hooked up), a huge non-functional wing, and a fart-can does not make your car fast nor look good, it makes you look like a moron. Same goes for distorted bass that causes your car to rattle louder than the bass itself. Yet, if you sit in the car, the rest of the audio is absolutely horrible.

Now, on the other hand, I love seeing a properly tuned car not riced-out, and with a good, high quality balanced audio system.
Old 10/25/2005, 12:17 AM
m0delgator

IMHO, to each his own. We've all probably done tons of things that other groups of people thought were totally useless, yet we probably had fun doing them.

If someone's going to have fun covering their 1992 Honda Civic in stickers and grapefruit launcher exhaust parts, then more power to them.
Old 10/25/2005, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Maybe they want to pretend they are Bi-plane pilots.

That is what I think of whenever I hear them.

Or a giant weedwacker
Old 10/25/2005, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I guess weedwacker is pretty close. I just love the powerful sound of a finely tuned one. Every time the landscapers come around and do my lawn maintainance, I get all revved up and want to race.
Old 10/25/2005, 04:00 AM
Jer

i'm not a big fan of annoyingly loud 4 bangin imports, but i also (and a little off topic) think that most motorcycle (import and domestic) have louder and more obnoxious exhaust set ups.

-atleast the ricers are youngish people trying to show off, the older harley guys have no excuse
Old 10/25/2005, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

im a big import guy myself, but im very careful in my exhaust choices, my loudest car was my eclipse gst with an electronic dump right after the downpipe.. but when you do that, it just sounds like a camming 8.. serious.. i also own a honda with exhaust, but i will tell you this, it does not sound like a weedwacker. it is a deep exhaust note, not that screaming i wanna be a crotch rocket crap... i cant stand those annoyingly loud ratty exhaust... puts the whole import tuning hobby to shame. just my opinion though.

Andrew
Old 10/25/2005, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

As I was sitting here having my coffee, it occurred to me that I might have used the wrong spelling of base for this application. As many of you probably already know, the use of the word spelled base is in reference to the bottom of a table or similar object. My wife kindly informed me of this just a few minutes ago. I now realize that bass is the correct spelling of the word here. I apologize for this error, but continue to discuss this exciting and thought provoking topic.

Last edited by Steve_B; 10/25/2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10/25/2005, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

There are appropriate cars that can handle the deep sound of exhaust, then there are *FART CANS*.
There are appropriate cars that can accessorize a spoiler, then there is *DOMESTIC RICE*
There are beautiful and appropriate cars out there that can house a killer system, then there are *TIN CANS* (everything rattling on the car but the stereo!)

As an import owner myself - 04 Honda Civic - my sewing machine, I believe has more HP than my car (As budha put it one day!!!!) I like a nice car, I like a sport look. If I ran her down the 1/4 mile...I might strike 80-85 mph and hit a high 16...nothing to be excited about! I bought her because I needed a great car, NOT one to go down the racetrack with.

Here she is!! No accessories - all stock:

Then there is the car I'm buying next year:
Old 10/25/2005, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliaddik
There are appropriate cars that can handle the deep sound of exhaust, then there are *FART CANS*.
There are appropriate cars that can accessorize a spoiler, then there is *DOMESTIC RICE*

Thank you chiliaddik for your comment. I'm really not up to speed on the sport compact scene. The car in the picture Looks almost exactly like a WRX (I think that's what it's called).
Old 10/25/2005, 07:47 AM
yawn

My Camry is getting up to fart can status, but it's because I recently acquired a small hole in my exhaust. I like a little bass, however I've been in cars with a TON of bass and I don't understand how you can drive down the street like that. You think it's irritating to be next to it, man if you're in it your ears about start bleeding. It's all very stupid, I always thought that.
Old 10/25/2005, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_B
Thank you chiliaddik for your comment. I'm really not up to speed on the sport compact scene. The car in the picture Looks almost exactly like a WRX (I think that's what it's called).
It's not a WRX, although, I do love the STi's....I just like the Mitsubishi Evo 8's better
Old 10/25/2005, 08:37 AM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

The EVO RS is quicker then the VIII.
Old 10/25/2005, 08:37 AM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by EXPEDITION
The EVO RS is quicker then the VIII.

Less $$$ too.
Old 10/25/2005, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

How do you figure it's faster? It has the exact same motor....
Old 10/25/2005, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

the only difference is 44 lbs. lighter on the RS.
Old 10/25/2005, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

Tanya, it's lighter because it doesn't have all the fancy power windows etc.

Most of my cars when I was younger had the loud stereo's with the 'somewhat' large subwoofers. When I sold the truck with my system I never replaced it. I don't feel the need anymore. I still like the music loud but my car system is adequate. I do wish it had more bass though because I like to feel it.

I once sat in a older nissan truck that had 4 15's in the back. The bass was so powerful that you could feel the reverberations in your throat and it made it extremely hard to swallow.

This guy was a car stereo installer at Circuit City. When he was playing it the front desk from circuit city called to the rear of the building asking him to turn it down, that's how far it traveled!

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 10/25/2005, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride

Most of my cars when I was younger had the loud stereo's with the 'somewhat' large subwoofers. When I sold the truck with my system I never replaced it. I don't feel the need anymore. I still like the music loud but my car system is adequate. I do wish it had more bass though because I like to feel it.

I once sat in a older nissan truck that had 4 15's in the back. The bass was so powerful that you could feel the reverberations in your throat and it made it extremely hard to swallow.

This guy was a car stereo installer at Circuit City. When he was playing it the front desk from circuit city called to the rear of the building asking him to turn it down, that's how far it traveled!

These were the good ol' days ... We now have a minivan... Traded our TA in on one... It had all the bells and whistle's, a nice Alpine, back then it was a good stereo system... It was maroon but I bumped somebody in the snowy weather, and we had it painted, a bright yellow... Not a school bus yellow but a nice yellow... It was a sharp looking car... Did I mention we now have a minivan ...

TheBimbo...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 10/25/2005, 09:20 AM
"Let's hug it out..."

Touching on the bass thing...

First off, when hearing a distortion machine it's generally kids behind the wheel, and kids will be kids. They generally don't have the coin to lay out for Soundstream Class A 3.0 amps, Audio Control EQX, EQT, Dynamat and High end speakers in isobarric or sealed chambers. In the end their cars sound like 50Hz mixed with pink noise, but it gets them noticed and that's what it's all about with kids.

As for me, being an adult, I love the sound of high quality audio components. A nice balance of 2, 12" Soundstream SPLs, Infinity mid-bass and MB Quart tweeters gets the blood flowing while driving... But there's a problem that might explain the super bass issue.

Driving around town... No excuse for bass you can feel 12 cars away.

On the highway, even with Dynamat and soundproofing, the bass needs a little extra tweaking to combat road and wind noise.

I Agree it should be turned down in town. It will save your equipment from being stolen and it will not annoy others... If your out on the road, turn iT UP!

There's nothing better than Metallica's - One or Mozart's Requiem rattling your A$$!

Dave

Member: SV-SEA
Old 10/25/2005, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
I know THAT! But how does 44 lbs make the car go faster? I mean for every 100 lbs. you can knock off the car, it only buys you an extra tenth of a second. A good driver can kill that in take-off!
Old 10/25/2005, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

sorry Steve...back to fart cans and booming bass....I don't have either of those problems, so I rest my case. LOL!
Old 10/25/2005, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loyalty
i'm not a big fan of annoyingly loud 4 bangin imports, but i also (and a little off topic) think that most motorcycle (import and domestic) have louder and more obnoxious exhaust set ups.

-atleast the ricers are youngish people trying to show off, the older harley guys have no excuse
HEY NOW!!!!

I think a good career and/or investment would be the following:

1. Chiropractor - When you see all of these people riding down road with their seats all laid back and them trying to sit up to drive, you know their backs are going to have problems later in life from all of this. And I'm just not talking just about the younger crowd. I have a couple of guys at work in their late 40's(like me)/early 50's that ride around like this. SHEESH!!!

2. Hearing aids - With all of the thump-thump-thump going on, it's only a matter of time. I speak from experience of listening to my music LOUD over the years. My philosophy used to be, "If it's too loud, you're too old." Now that I'm 48, I have constant ringing in my ears(much like Pete Townsend of The How) and cannot hear higher frequency sounds(due to ringing in ears).
Old 10/25/2005, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
sorry Steve...back to fart cans and booming bass....I don't have either of those problems, so I rest my case. LOL!
Tanya, I was never directing any of my comments at you, and I think you know that

Estabahn
Old 10/25/2005, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Don't forget those HUGE tinker toy spoilers... highly effective on front wheel drive vehicles!!!

"Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition."
~Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
Old 10/25/2005, 01:05 PM
m0delgator

Quote:

That exact vehicle won't be available next year, unless you are buying used.