Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Rubbermaid Sump

Where would one find a good selection of Rubbermaid sumps online? I think the reason I'm not finding anything is because there really not called a sump.

Thanks,
Old 12/30/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

big plastic bucket is what your looking for bigger the better. Try a hardware store or department. Im from the UK so cant really help. Home Depot though does spring to mind they must do them.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

I would say home depot or lowels would have something like this, maybe even a Tractor supply store like a Farm and Fleet to find large containers you can use for sumps . . .
Old 12/30/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Think I got mine at Orchard Supply Hardware.

Old 12/30/2007, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Tractor Supply or farm feed suppliers. Just make sure you seal the bottom gasket good. Every one I had has always had a leak until I sealed it.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:47 PM
Master of Funk

The thing to know is that "stock tanks" are designed to hold water. Those clear plastic tubs that Sprawl-mart sells are not designed to hold liquids. I have had one split and know of others who have had them split...see also LEAK.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Not technically Rubbermaid, but here is what I am using.

30 gallon from Wally World Including the lid. (Less than $10)

The fuge is just a square plastic trash can that fits inside just below the rim. The handles on each side work as overflows.
(Less than $5)

FYI - If you look I had to cut a slot in the back of the stand cause the bucket was too wide. to close the door. I drilled a couple holes and used two screws to hold the cut out (euro brace) lid in place (in case of power outage)

You can't see through it, but I prefer this thicker bucket better than the thin see through buckets.

They have bigger ones but they would not fit under my stand, so make sure you measure your stand,

Drilled one hole in the bottom right side for a bulkhead to the return pump, cut the center out of the lid, and drilled two small holes in the lip to secure the lid in the front.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01/01/2008, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
The thing to know is that "stock tanks" are designed to hold water. Those clear plastic tubs that Sprawl-mart sells are not designed to hold liquids. I have had one split and know of others who have had them split...see also LEAK.
Thanks for all the replies. "Stock tank" is the key words. This is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

I think Rubbermaid Stock Tank is what your talking about -
http://www.google.com/products?clien...&um=1&ie=UTF-8
Old 01/01/2008, 11:07 AM
Master of Funk

I got mine from a farm/home supply place. They might call them "livestock watering tank".