Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Copperband questions

Heyy everybody,

Ive got a new 90 gallon set up and im planning 2 get a Copperband Butterflyfish. There are no anenomes or featherdusters, (ive heard copperbands are notorious at eating these) but i'd like to add a clam and a bunch of sps and Lps corals.

Currently i have a blue regal tang and two ocellaris clowns. Any advice or past experience would b greatly appreciated.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

Copperband's are kind of hit or miss. I had one in the past who left the coral alone for about 3 months then one day he decided to try to eat some of my hammers and frogspawn. So I had to get rid of him. But alot of people I know have had good luck with them in there reef tanks. I wouldn't recommend getting one.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ILoveReefer
Copperband's are kind of hit or miss. I had one in the past who left the coral alone for about 3 months then one day he decided to try to eat some of my hammers and frogspawn. So I had to get rid of him. But alot of people I know have had good luck with them in there reef tanks. I wouldn't recommend getting one.
i agree...
Old 12/28/2007, 05:21 AM
Registered Member

Mine has been a model citizen in my mainly LPS tank. He has never even looked at any of the coral. I would have to guess one of the key tricks is to make sure that they are eating before you get one and keep it well fed.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

A great fish but unfortunately very difficult to get eating. If you do get one eating at the LFS there is still a chance that it won't once you get it home. If I were to try again I would make sure your tank is in excellent condition and all parameters are in check. I would also do some surfing about them. For me they are one of those fish I don't like seeing at the LFS due to their poor survival rate. I did have a friend who had great success with his but it was in his store tank with tons of live foods and corals.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Thanx a lot guys,
now that i think of it there are almost never any specimens that i'd consider perfect condition; however, this is one of the fish i've always wanted so if i do find one that looks in perfect condition i think ill take the risk, and we'll see from there.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from Liveaquaria, it got lympho right after I got it, but after about a month it was fine, it has been in my reef now about a month with no issues. I have had a few in the past and have only had luck with them eating "white" food (mysis, squid, etc) just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this? Good Luck.