Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/31/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Glasscages = Rude and Unprofessional!!

I started this thread in the Nano Section.

Go here to read about my horrific experience with this company!
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

They are the worst tank maker in the aquarium industry!
Old 08/05/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Re: Glasscages = Rude and Unprofessional!!

[QUOTE]
They are the worst tank maker in the aquarium industry!
[QUOTE]

That is a mighty strong statememnt to make, surely somebody is doing a worse job than them -
Old 08/05/2007, 01:13 PM
Team RC Member

have you read the thread??!!
Old 08/05/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10485810#post10485810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
have you read the thread??!!
Not only did I read my dear, it but I posted in it as well.
Old 08/05/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Rude and Unprofessional!!
To say the least, a little over a year ago I had the privilege to come across the single biggest non-anti-could careless customer service I ever had come across in my life.
Let's just say that if it were directed to me in person face to face, I would have at least got my .02 worth, instead of being hung up on like what happened me. Being a complete jerk must work though, people still buy from him. God forbid if there is a problem with the tank, talk about putting your life at risk with that customer service.
Old 08/06/2007, 04:33 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:

Not only did I read my dear, it but I posted in it as well.

guess my irony meter wasn't turned up to full strength
Old 08/06/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

I cant imagine they are any worse to deal with than Aquatraders.com, talk about horrible CS! Sorry to hear about your problems though.
Old 08/07/2007, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

It may sound strange, but they are like the "Soup Nazi" of Seinfeld fame. I ordered two custom sumps from them. I followed their protocol to the letter (order, step to the left, pay) and received two well constructed sumps exactly to my specs for a great price. Fortunately I did not receive the "No sump for you!" response.

To make it even stranger, I went to their facility outside Nashville to pick up the sumps. In person they are as nice as can be. Also their claim that they "do not need your business" is not totally untrue, as they appear to be producing to capacity.

In the end each of us has to decide. If you are willing to play by their rules, you can get a well constructed (although not always the best looking) tank for a great price. If you want or need assistance, have questions, or like the type of customer service that Americans typically get from every industry except the airlines, then you absolutely need to go elsewhere. Just expect to pay significantly more.
Old 08/07/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10503199#post10503199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by forensicdoc
It may sound strange, but they are like the "Soup Nazi" of Seinfeld fame. I ordered two custom sumps from them. I followed their protocol to the letter (order, step to the left, pay) and received two well constructed sumps exactly to my specs for a great price. Fortunately I did not receive the "No sump for you!" response.

To make it even stranger, I went to their facility outside Nashville to pick up the sumps. In person they are as nice as can be. Also their claim that they "do not need your business" is not totally untrue, as they appear to be producing to capacity.

In the end each of us has to decide. If you are willing to play by their rules, you can get a well constructed (although not always the best looking) tank for a great price. If you want or need assistance, have questions, or like the type of customer service that Americans typically get from every industry except the airlines, then you absolutely need to go elsewhere. Just expect to pay significantly more.
I DITTO everything you say here

I have TWO custom made Glass cages tanks - check that HAD TWO, I ordered them in advance and picked them up, I can say nothing bad about their customer service because they are in the tank building business not reefkeeping.

Only issue I currently have is that the first tank I got from them 13 months ago, I took to the landfill this very day in pieces, and I am a tad concerned about the one I currently have blowing as well.
Old 08/07/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10503583#post10503583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Growurown
I DITTO everything you say here

I have TWO custom made Glass cages tanks - check that HAD TWO, I ordered them in advance and picked them up, I can say nothing bad about their customer service because they are in the tank building business not reefkeeping.

Only issue I currently have is that the first tank I got from them 13 months ago, I took to the landfill this very day in pieces, and I am a tad concerned about the one I currently have blowing as well.
Whaaaaat?
Old 08/09/2007, 01:12 AM
Genius

?
I think he means he's scared of his other GC tank breaking anyday.

Dang... I just ordered a large tank from GC... 300 gallons.
I can only hope and pray at this point I guess..
Old 08/11/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Funny how both good experiences in this thread were pick-up orders where you can get face to face with them. The "Soup Nazi" experiences are always the ones that get delivered by truck to shows local to you. The guy driving the truck is not person you deal with on the orders and the poor guy probably takes a beating at every delivery. The owner and his wife are real class acts by putting their employees in that position.

I also had a "Soup Nazi" like experience with them and was never able to order my custom tank.

Sure they make great "custom" tanks, as long as its what they want to build. They also dictate where the holes will be drilled and the size of the holes.

And to Growurown, how can you ditto everything that forensicdoc said when you had a GC tank blow out in 13 months? If you think thats a "well constructed" tank, you must have slightly lower expectations than the rest of us. I can say quite confidently that 100% of reefers would think that 13 months is pretty shoddy.
Old 08/12/2007, 09:15 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10503583#post10503583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Growurown

Ack! That freaks me out! So what exactly happened?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/15/2007, 03:38 PM

Growurown has a thread about his tank here

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1171929
Old 08/15/2007, 07:51 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Hmm..too bad no way to know what happened.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/15/2007, 09:20 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Yeah... they scare me. I almost didn't order from them...

They are rude. Period. I hear they do a lot of college/research orders and what not and don't care a whole lot for individual tanks. They are very rude on the phone, and in my experience they were ok when I picked my tanks up. I won't go into detail, but in short they were very difficult when I ordered, and I just got two standard tanks! Its ridiculous. I'm not sure that I'll order from them again, especially after hearing about tanks busting.

Sorry to hear about your experience. That place is very backwards. I will probably get a 180 bow front instead of a starphire aquarium from them now.

Brandon
Old 08/16/2007, 04:57 PM
_

Yes, they are not customer oriented at all. You must remember though they started out as a wholesale builder never wanting to get into the retail side. I guess they saw the money in retail and went that way. It is ran by one guy and his wife. In person they are decent folk. Like said above if you want your ego petted and the warm fuzzy feelings I guess you can pay more for it from another company. In the end you get what you pay for. When I have gotten tanks from them I was not there to make friends but to just save some money. It helps they are 30 minutes from my house.
Old 08/17/2007, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Glass Cages Alternative?

OK I was about to order from these guys but due to the flaming on this thread I'd like some other recommendations for a 105 gal tank 48 X 24 X 21.

Is there a good custom builder vs the GC guys? Does anyone have any positives for Glasscages?

A custom tank busting in 13 months is scary.

Old 08/17/2007, 09:25 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

I can say that overall I had a positive experience, just don't expect amazing customer service.

I still may order from them again if this tank holds up. No one makes perfect tanks all the time.

Brandon
Old 08/18/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10531115#post10531115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d4a2n0k

And to Growurown, how can you ditto everything that forensicdoc said when you had a GC tank blow out in 13 months? If you think thats a "well constructed" tank, you must have slightly lower expectations than the rest of us. I can say quite confidently that 100% of reefers would think that 13 months is pretty shoddy.
I definately have my opinions on the the builder the thing is, if I just flew on here and bashed them, it wouldnt solve anything, just get the thread closed and me perhaps banned.

I feel that by sticking with the facts, most members can weigh both sides and make their own informed decisions.

Reefkeepers are pretty bright and network well with each other on equipment issues, how many are still recommending prizm pro skimmers
Old 08/18/2007, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

I think the quality of GC's tanks are hit or miss at best. i read posts from people who were very happy with their tanks, others not so much. I strongly considered buying from them back in 2005, but read about their horrific customer service. I guess you really need to weigh quality vs. price vs. customer service vs. the possibility of hurt feelings. You wont find prices like GC anywhere else, however I did not want to take the chance of having to scoop up my entire tank off my floor because of sloppy silocone seals. I wouldn't mind dealing with a "soup Nazi" if i knew the tank would hold up. Still I would never rule them out completely down the road...

On another note, I have never had a bad experience with Perfecto or all glass tanks.
To each their own i guess...

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."

Jack Kerouac
Old 08/19/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Glad I read this thread. I was considering GC for a 60x24x24 150 because its a pretty hard tank to find. Not any more. After reading the customer service horror stories, broken tanks stories and generally shoddy workmanship, I will go else where and rest easy.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 08/20/2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

I contacted them over the phone about building a smaller tank and was basically blown off. They don't have time to mess with 'too small of a tank'. Whatever small is is up to them I guess? The guy was a jerk to put it nicely.

No, I'll never send them a dime.

Aquarium Obsessed looks like a much better option to me and I will most likely be ordering a custom starphire 75 or the like, from them in the future.
Old 08/20/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

interesting responses here

i requested a price quote on a small project: a 29L sump tank.

i forgot who i had spoken to but he was cordial and thorough with the details and design of my sump tank.

i also received an email confirmation on my order as well as a delivery notification.

for the PRICE, i think glasscages is great. Of course, i speaking solely in terms of an acrylic tank and i have no idea on the quality of their glass tanks.

but i would certainly use them again for an acrylic tank.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Glasscages responded to my Better Business Bureau complaint.

Click here to read it...Its a bunch of lies..
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...4#post10601334