Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2005, 12:19 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Keep hearing Fred yell....WILMA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be safe

Florida is no longer on my list as a place to retire
Old 10/19/2005, 12:50 PM
yawn

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobster
You will of course have to be banned now due to the *****.
Didn't go around it, obeyed it to the letter.

I wonder if they only went up to Catagory 5 because they don't think a Cat 6(whatever they would make it) would ever happen...
Old 10/19/2005, 12:57 PM
no pig 2 big

They have a cat 6... They tell you to prepare by sticking your head between your legs and kiss your butt good bye...

On a serious note... Good luck all and try to be safe...
Old 10/19/2005, 01:44 PM
Member ACROS Reef Club

Hey AGU, don't forget to show the neighbors how you make RODI water for fellow Reefing Hurricane victims...On another note I have lived here 43 years and never saw storms like we have had over the last 2 years, AGU when did you move here??
For those that do not remember AGU helped alot of local reefers out last year after Charley supplying RODI and frozen water bottles for use as a chiller...Think I will be starting to fill bottles tonight...Good luck all....
Old 10/19/2005, 03:05 PM
Moved On

east coast

The folks in charge are now saying Wilma will hit cat 4 or more and the speed of it will mean the east coast is gonna get slammed. I t appears its speed over land will be quick enough....it will NOT waeken as it passes over land as others do. She is huge area wise......the storm surge will be tremendous. This ain't gonna be easy....and poor NE she will finish up there.......they do not need that.
Old 10/19/2005, 03:08 PM
yawn

Yeah I heard people in New England were already building arks from the rain they got in the last two weeks.
Old 10/19/2005, 03:37 PM
In over my head!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaman
I have 3/4" plywood still in the garage from last year
You and me both! I have 15 sheets from when Ivan was projected to come this way last year (thank god it didn't). I'll watch what happens tomorrow and may put some up on Friday.
Old 10/19/2005, 03:37 PM
yawn

You can keep an eye on the area. This is a live camera feed of Jupiter, FL. I look at it every day so I know what I'll be doing every day soon.

Dunno how long the camera will be up.

http://evsjupiter.netfirms.com/main.htm
Old 10/19/2005, 03:51 PM
Reefer

Re: east coast

Quote:
Originally posted by O'Coralman
The folks in charge are now saying Wilma will hit cat 4 or more and the speed of it will mean the east coast is gonna get slammed.
I don't know why the east coast (of FL) is more vunerable than the west coast.

FYI: This map is dynamically updated.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atl...ath_large.html

Old 10/19/2005, 03:55 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Noah!!! oh Noah!!!
Old 10/19/2005, 03:56 PM
In over my head!

Re: Re: east coast

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
I don't know why the east coast (of FL) is more vunerable than the west coast.
I think he means the east coast is also going to get slammed. That goes somewhat against the conventional wisdom, but with a powerful fast-moving storm, both sides of the state could see substantial damage.
Old 10/19/2005, 04:04 PM
Moved On

here Pete

from Strong winds possible
Wilma was expected to move across Florida rapidly, which means it wouldn’t weaken much over land, Cobb said. That makes it possible that Atlantic coast cities such as Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach could be hit by wind nearly as strong as on the west coast, he said.

an MSNBC story

the linkhttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9753293/page/2/
Old 10/19/2005, 04:08 PM
RC Mod

Scott exaggerates .....

However if you have power outage and are keeping the tank cool with evaporative cooling, like Scott did, with a generator and fans, you're going to go through a lot of water. Scott picked up almost 5 gallons of ro/di a day from me to top off a 125.

I'm making RO/DI water already...........
Old 10/19/2005, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I went out today, just for normal shopping and the SuperWalmart was already about out of bottled water. They were telling everyone that a trailer load was due in today. I topped off the gas tank just in case they start spiking gas prices again. Generator is ready and lots of water on hand, just in case. This is just NUTS this year...lol

Thankfully, we keep lots of supplies on hand so I never have to rush out and get everything. Hubby laughs at my stockpiling canned goods and such but I grew up getting snowed in for days on end when I was a kid in northern NY. Guess who's laughing now????? hehehe

B
Old 10/19/2005, 05:05 PM
In over my head!

The 5pm discussion is out.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/192106.shtml

I'll translate from meteorologist speak:

"Well, now we're not entirely sure where it's heading, or when it's going to get there. It's still veering more to the left than we thought, a bit of a surprise, so our confidence in the forecast is down quite a bit. In fact, none of the computer models agree on much of anything, so we're going to stick with the previous forecast track. Only, we're going to slow down the movement a little, since it's still not moving much yet. We can't change the forecast too much at once or we would look like a bunch of idiots. We'll probably change it again in the 11pm advisory."

Just reading between the lines.
Old 10/19/2005, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Great....and I am working in MS now. I guess the neighbors will have to man the gen for the fish.
Old 10/20/2005, 12:51 PM
Legal Reefer

It looks like I picked a great time to visit Fla. Right now i'm in Melbourne and WAS going over to Sarasota saturday to see my familey. The way this thing is spinning, I'm not sure where the safest place is. My siutcase is still packed and I have plenty of beer to survive a long time.