Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Blue spot rays

I have heard that blue dots are veru difficult to keep. Does anyone have expierence with them. What makes them so difficult to keep. Would love to get one but can't find much info on their care. Thanks for any info. Tim
Old 12/05/2007, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Sharks and Rays do not adapt well to small reef tanks (unfortunately, a 150g tank is considered small for these animals). The animals are extremely sensitive to water parameters and will require a large open sand bed with little competition for food to endure captivity (note I said endure...not survive ..or thrive).
Old 12/05/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the reply any other expierences out there. I'm about 95% sure i won't attempt to house this animal. Anyone else out there have expierence. Thanks
Old 12/05/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

They are also very hard fish to feed. I doubt of all the ones that are bought and sold only a tiny fraction of them end up in a tank where they have more than a crap shot chance of surviving long term.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:49 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Most survive less than 1 year in captivity. I highly would recommend scratching that one off the list.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/06/2007, 09:30 AM
Keeper of Tangs

yes unless you have atleast an 8 foot tank and great great water conditions these guys are very hard to care for.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

i had one with a small shark in a 125 and it did very well for awhile, ate out of my hand, would come to top of tank and get pet. awsome animal but unfortunately as others have said, not long lived in the captive life, mine lasted about 3 months. was very sad and will never attempt again as it is unfair to the animal...
Old 12/06/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Lots of fish will pick on them too. I know its hard to believe but they will eat their eyes out.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

ok I'm sold no ray for me!!!!! Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I had a customer that insisted on trying these, and he found a LFS that said they were very easy to keep, even though I told him other wise. He tried two different ones in a 210 before he finally believed me on how hard they were to keep. They were very beautiful though, and I think he paid about $150 for each. They would eat at first but would just die overnight, very sad and should be left alone.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:53 PM
Where the future begins!

Somehow my LFS managed to keep one alive for around 3 years. It would eat out of your hand, and like another person said, come up to be pet gently.

One day, they came in and it was dead. No one was sure why.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”