Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 08/30/2004, 04:51 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Quartering Toadstool Cap

My toadstool's cap is quite large and I would like to have some smaller ones in the tank as well. I was thinking of sacrificing the large one for some smaller ones.

Can I cut the cap from the stump, quarter the cap, place them in a small veiled container with rubble like you do mushrooms and then place the stump and its rock in the sump for a while? After the frags heal/attach can I then super glue gel them to frag rocks?

Here is a picture of the toadstool.

125g, (2) 250w 10,000k, (2) 110w VHO actinic, Sailfin Blenny, Coral Beauty, (2) False Percs, (3) Allen Damsels, and Support Staff

Check out the little red house (www)
Old 08/30/2004, 07:57 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

Is there good light in the sump? Sitting in the dark sump would probably kill the stump.

A better way might be to cut a ring off all the way around the base leaving part of the crown on the base. This will give the base higher % odds of surviving. Then cut the ring up into 4 or 5 pieces.

Another thing you can do is make a bunch of small pairs of cuts from the edge towards the base almost cutting out little triangles, but not quite and then leave it be for a while. Then in a couple weeks cut off the partially cut pieces. You can get a ton of frags off of one toadstool that way because a lot of the cap is left to regrow again.

Actually, you can pretty much butcher it however you want
Old 08/30/2004, 08:10 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Thanks for your reply. The sump is lit 24/7 and is never dark. Seems to me that the crown seems to be to heavy for the stem because it never really stands up. The polyps come out on part of it but not all of it and there is plenty of flow on it.

Now when you say "cut a ring off all the way around" do you mean like how you would continuously peel an orange or apple. You know it ends up in one long piece and then cut that into pieces?

The suggestion about making the pie slices: I would do this all around the edge of the toadstool without cutting through and then in a couple of weeks cut around the toadstool disconnecting the slices.

Am I understanding you correctly on both methods?

125g, (2) 250w 10,000k, (2) 110w VHO actinic, Sailfin Blenny, Coral Beauty, (2) False Percs, (3) Allen Damsels, and Support Staff

Old 08/31/2004, 08:28 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Yes you are. You can try just a couple small cuts to see how it goes first on one or two pieces.

My personal method of fragging toadstools is just cut the whole cap off and toss the base as it usually dies for me anyway on large ones. Then I cut the cap up into like 1-2" squares.

If I am fragging smaller ones(like yours) I put a few preliminary cuts in and let it sit because sometimes really tiny pieces have died for me just cut straight out, but it seems that if they are cut almost off and left to sit and sort of heal, cutting that last bit off 2 weeks later makes no difference. In fact, sometimes they start growing new stalks while still attached if you leave them long enough.

Big toadstools frag off babies themselves by splitting off edges of their cap and a new little stalk forms before it completely falls off, so I just monkey-see-monkey-do kind of speeded up the process by helping with the first cuts.
Old 08/31/2004, 09:09 AM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

I think i'm goning to cut the pie pieces, wait the two weeks, and see what happens. Thanks for all the helpful information.

Old 08/31/2004, 02:48 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

you're welcome, good luck

Too bad one of my toadstools is about a month shy of fraggable (it was a small frag from a swap originally). That would have made a good show and tell for you to see.
Old 09/01/2004, 08:15 AM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Well, the deed is done. Last night I pulled the toadstool from the tank and placed 10 or so snips around the edge. It sort of cloudied the water I had placed it in so I rinsed if off with some tank water before placing it back in the display tank. It was definitely angry this morning, that was to be expected, but so far so good.

Old 09/01/2004, 07:33 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

cool, keep us posted. That was good you threw out that fragwater. Who needs that funk back in the main tank.

Any chance of taking some pics?
Old 09/02/2004, 07:57 AM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Yes, I will take some pictures this evening when I get home from work.

Old 09/02/2004, 08:30 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Wouldn't you know it....the batteries are out my camera. Will try again tomorrow after I get some fresh ones.

Old 09/03/2004, 09:50 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

So how's it looking, in general, now two days after the cutting.
Is it getting over the trauma?
Old 09/03/2004, 11:14 AM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

You know....It looks really good. I was surprised as this is my first actual fragging experience. I mean I have chipped zoa rocks but have never actually cut anything. Thanks for the advice on how to accomplish this a stress free experience (for me and my leather). I'll see if I can get a picture up tonight.

Old 09/03/2004, 02:52 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Here's the after picture I promised.

Old 09/04/2004, 04:33 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

Excellent, thanks for the show and tell. Looks like you'll get quite a few righteous frags off that puppy, what maybe like 9 or so?.

That is great seeing the polyps all coming out again.

Seeing that makes me want to jump the gun and slice the one I have up. even though it's a bit small still, the frag swap is only 3 weeks away...hmmmmmmm......

BTW, some of your homies (ie Indiana folks) are going to the Columbus OH frag swap. Are you?
Old 09/04/2004, 07:18 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

I know that they will be there to represent us and I know that they will do a fine job. I wish that I could attend but I know that I won't be able to make that. Maybe next year I can plan a little further ahead and make the next swap.

Old 09/11/2004, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Hey Fran

Any updates?

New Pictures?

Let us know, since Im trying to do the same procedure...

PR
Old 09/11/2004, 07:28 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Will take some more pictures and post them tomorrow. I looked at it today and its healing nicely. But basically it looks the same.

Old 09/12/2004, 05:25 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Here is the picture. It's almost at the two week mark. I think 3 more days. The main stalk has never attached to anything so I don't know what to do with that.

Frick-n-Frags, I'm almost ready for stage two. What do I do now? I believe you said to cut them off evenly in a circle. That would leave a small cap on the existing stalk. Then what?

Old 09/12/2004, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Frank:

Its looking great ! I´ve got one question... from your previous post...

Quote:
Originally posted by fkbsar
Well, the deed is done. Last night I pulled the toadstool from the tank and placed 10 or so snips around the edge. It sort of cloudied the water I had placed it in so I rinsed if off with some tank water before placing it back in the display tank. It was definitely angry this morning, that was to be expected, but so far so good.

Did you only place de 10 snips around the edge or did you also also cut the cp from the base??? since you metinoed in your last post that the base has not attached to any rock or anything ?

PR.
Old 09/12/2004, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

BTW,

Here is a picture of my Toadstool waiting to begin the propagation process...

Old 09/13/2004, 08:51 AM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

There is a stalk under there. I should have taken a picture of the underside. I will tonight. I thought about it but didn't take a shot of the underside.

Prior I had a problem with the stalk attaching to a rock (I made the dumb mistake of trying to super glue it). I had to cut some of the stalk off and tried to veil it to another rock and it just never attached.

But there is a stalk under there.

Your's is gorgeous. I want dibs on a frag. Look in my gallery is yours the same toadstool as the yellow one "Yellow Fiji Leather" I have in there?

Old 09/13/2004, 06:26 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

I only did approx 10 snips around the edge of the toadstool. Here is a picture of the underside with stem.

Old 09/18/2004, 04:45 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Looking good. Yes, cut off the "tabs" and leave the little circle in the middle and in several months you can do this all over again.
Old 09/18/2004, 05:31 PM
Tara Courtney 5mo.

Will probably do that tomorrow. Now do I put the cut pieces in a bowl with rubble or do I have to attach each one to a piece of rock?

Just got back from our quarterly frag swap. There was a showing of hands for those attending your swap coming up. Seems like a good size crowd will be coming. Got 3 more toadstools. I need more like a hole in the head now!

Old 09/21/2004, 04:43 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

Two ways to go:

1) Flow is a good arguement for attaching them to rocks. Flow helps them

2) Laziness gets the rubble vote

I would try some each way and see what happens. If all the rubbleones make it, next time, heck with rubberbanding any to rocks