Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2004, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation Fragging a complete colony of zoos...need help

I have a colony of zoos that I need to frag out. I was wondering if I could just start from the outside and use a razor blade and cut the polyps off where they are attached to the rock.

Also, what is the minimum number of zoo polyps would you place on a rock for fragging? Could I get away with placing two or three zoos on a new rock to start a new colony? Any other tips or advice for fragging zoos would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06/08/2004, 12:16 AM
Formerly fleetmarine79

Try slippng your figernail under the mat and pulling them of the rock that way they may pull off in a few large pieces. I suggest at least 3 polyps per frag. Antoher way of doing this although it take a month or 2 to do is to place small frag rocks directly on top of the mat. The mat will start to grow over the rocks, then using a razor you can cut the mat along the base of the rock/s.
Old 06/08/2004, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

I knew about placing another rock near/on them...but I do not have that kind of time. I am trying to jumpstart some new colonies.
Old 06/08/2004, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

The little "chisel" type X-acto blades work well. If the rock is very irregular shaped, it can be tricky to scrape them off, but like fleetmarine said, once you get a corner up, it's easy to peel them off. I usually go with about 8-10 polyps per frag, and use super glue gel to attach them. The more, the merrier, right? Also, if you can get under the tissue and scrape some of the corraline off with the polyps, it's easier IME to attach them, and less traumatic to the zoos. If your feet were stuck in concrete, you wouldn't want someone to cut off your legs to get you out would you?
Old 06/12/2004, 11:27 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

LOL good point reefgeek. Put as many on a frag as you can the more on there the faster the coverage.
Old 06/13/2004, 10:04 PM
Moved On

My preference is a standard exacto blade not the flat edge razors. Start from the outside and saw your way in underneith getting as much liverock as possible. When you have gotten as far in as you can and your blade hits a solid piece of rock, part the section with the blade and make your slice. I prefer to frag a few different strains of zoo at the same time put them in their separate cups of tank water, and than attach a few of each zoo strain to a piece of rubble leaving small gaps between each polyp. This give a variety of zoo's and leave room to grow out and fill the gaps in about a month before you sell them. I'm so confident in this method that I was thinking about making murals out of the different color zoo's I have. You know a nice mexican flag, smiley face's, fish. I will post some pics of my zoanthid art later.
http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/sho...00&ppuser=2561
Old 06/13/2004, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

wow...those lime zoos look great, you ship ? I am in the process of fragging some AWESOME colors, keeping my finger crossed.
Old 06/14/2004, 03:17 AM
Moved On

I only do thermos trades for shipping, and selling locally.
Old 06/21/2004, 10:30 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Groups of like about 10 zoo polyps seem to have enough critical mass to crank out more new polyps pretty fast. It seems to take forever for a lone polyp to grow polyp #2, but it will happen eventually.
Old 06/21/2004, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

mna those lime zoos are increadibale zoos are
Old 06/21/2004, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

bigstun, how is the frags looking? vincent get any new frags??

Jordan

ugp
Old 06/27/2004, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

I realize this may sound a little crued but I have done it numerous times with perfect success. If you are trying to break up a large coloy on a rock that is less then 2" thick. You simply turn the rock upside down and tap the base litely and the rock will break nicely into frag size pieces with Zoos attached. Place these pieces appropriatly throughout your tank and in a few months they will be forming new large colonies. I try and keep the time out of water less then 3minutes. I am sure they would be fine for substantially longer. I like this method because the rocks tend to break in week spots in the colony. You may need to cut a little with an exacto knife or clean razor. Make sure there is no oil or chemicals on the razors or hammers.
All new tools have a lite coating of oil. Death to a reef system. Zoos can emit poison which I have noticed can iritate other tank inhabitants. For this reason I tend to break the large colony over a large bowl of my aquariums water. Kind of a rinse off bowl. None of the toxins or mess ever ends up back in the tank. If you have zoos in conditions that are set for sps growth, they will grow like weeds.
Old 06/27/2004, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Just an update...I fragged a few and got a 50% sucess rate. What I am doing is taking multiple colinies, and making frags on sperate rocks with a few polyps of each colony....giving 2-3 different colors on one frag, so breaking a rock will not work for me.
Old 06/27/2004, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Not so far!!
Old 09/01/2004, 12:58 AM
Moved On

yea no doubt lol, not so far as in not tried hehe....try to glue a few of the crumble pieces of rocks afterwards with only one or two polyps each to one another and some other rubble if needed to make a bigger piece with all and watchem spread.

Good luck with yours.
Old 09/01/2004, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

I have also been taking more precautions with new colonies. I realize that uz sterilizers have mixed reviews. I use one and also have been dipping all of my new zoo colonies in a mild iodine dip. I cannot afford a tank crash.
Old 09/01/2004, 01:23 AM
Moved On

Yea Reef I run a UV as well and actually need a second one for a new tank we have set up finally but as with all of it, when the money comes, the new stuff will come, lol...I think I need to get at least an 18watter, but who knows, mainly still looking and reading about the different ones out there.

We'll see in about two more weeks I think, and then I will make my decision on which one to get, best bang for buck is what im after, have other investments if you will which are more important than a second full blown reef tank..But it will come.

Good luck with yours.
Old 09/01/2004, 01:28 AM

I've taken to glueing the frags to pieces of plastic CD cases. Seems I never have room for a lot of frag sized rocks. The plastic "frag" pieces can then be placed on the sand and, except for the zoo's, are almost invisible. The zoo's spread really quickly on the smooth surface and then slide off really easily with a thin spatula. Another big plus, IMO, is the larger, loose mini-colony frag can then be mounted/glued anywhere you'd like in your existing aquascape. Most times it's a PITA fitting frag rocks where you want them and then spreading across gaps to the surrounding rock. HTH... I know it's sorta wacky.
Old 09/01/2004, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

I have had several sterilizers. If you have a chiller always run a sligthly larger sterilizer then called for. I now run a 18 w coralife on a 125 gallon. It is a very nice sterilizer. It is made very well. Pet solutions has them on sale now for $129. I am not sure if we are supposed to mention specific vendors in the forum. Sorry if that is a no no.
Old 09/01/2004, 07:52 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Quote:
Originally posted by PUGroyale
I've taken to glueing the frags to pieces of plastic CD cases. Seems I never have room for a lot of frag sized rocks. The plastic "frag" pieces can then be placed on the sand and, except for the zoo's, are almost invisible. The zoo's spread really quickly on the smooth surface and then slide off really easily with a thin spatula. Another big plus, IMO, is the larger, loose mini-colony frag can then be mounted/glued anywhere you'd like in your existing aquascape. Most times it's a PITA fitting frag rocks where you want them and then spreading across gaps to the surrounding rock. HTH... I know it's sorta wacky.
I love CD cases for zoos too, so either not so weird, or I am just as weird as you

also plastic pop bottles, cut to hang over the edge of the tank
Old 09/28/2004, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

you are both weird!! just kiddin its a great idea i have been using rubbel and pieces that are to large and cumbersome

cd cases sound easier
Old 09/28/2004, 11:08 AM
Tang Police - What a Joke

What type of thermos does everyone use for shipping in? I have a few people that want to do some trading but Im not sure how I am going to ship them.

Thanks
Billy

visit my site dedicated to reef keeping just click on my little red house.
Old 09/28/2004, 05:59 PM
Moved On

I get my thermoses at goodwill. They go for like $1 each. They're the ones that come in kids plastic lunch boxes.
Old 09/28/2004, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

hey fleet can the same be done with star polyps, i mean putting a rock on top of them and making them grow onto the rock?
Old 10/23/2004, 09:53 PM
Have grits... will travel

Putting a piece of LR or rubble on top of the GSP is how I get my frags all the time. After you get a small piece of the mat attached to your new rock, just take a razor or exacto to cut it away from the parent colony.

I've had a mat that had only 10-12 small polyps cover a 9" piece of Tonga branch (that I layed on the parent colony for a couple of weeks to begin with), in less then 6 months.

BTW, GSP grows like weeds in my tanks.

AMERICAN by birth... SOUTHERN by the Grace Of God!