Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2004, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Iron in top-off water

Randy,

I have been using your 2-part calk/alk additive (just switched to a calcium reactor since I travel so much), and I dose kalkwasser mostly to suck up CO2 and raise pH a bit.

Could I also add some iron (like Kent Iron) to the kalk topoff tank (obvioulsy calculated to match dosing recommendations for iron versus topoff usage)? I am using a big honkin' bucket-o-kalk like yours, but at a lower dosage of kalk.

If not, could I add it to a non-kalk topoff tank (or pre-mix and have a timed release to match some pre-determined daily amount)?

I you have answered this elsewhere I apologize.
Old 10/14/2004, 07:00 AM
Sponsor

IMO , if the Kent stuff is EDTA based then it could be added to the kalk topp-off. If they use a much weaker complex the iron would form rust and would precipitate and might get "lost" in the reservoir.

If they use EDTA then it can be used in the non-kalk topp-off otherwise I might not do it because of bacterial decay issues.

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 10/14/2004, 08:01 AM
Reef Chemist

I agree that it is probably OK in the limewater, but if you seem to get colored precipitates (brown, red, etc), then I'd stop.
Old 10/14/2004, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
IMO , if the Kent stuff is EDTA based...
Anyone know if it is EDTA-based? Kent's online description says:

Deionized water, iron, manganese, cobalt, minor trace minerals, chelant, and stabilizers.

If nobody knows, would it be safe to try it (ie - if it is not EDTA-based would it cause any harm)? This is no big deal, as it is easy to add a few drops directly now-and-then, but as I travel it is easier to not have to have the spouse remember to do this.

I looked up EDTA on google.com - I think I'm going to be sick - this "stuff" (I know it's not correct) is everywhere...including my Big Mac Special Sauce (EDTA)
Old 10/14/2004, 08:35 AM
Reef Chemist

I thought it said on the Kent bottle that I have, but it is at home and I may be confusing two different products.