Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2004, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Ph wont stop dropping

I really need help, My Ph is anything but stable. It is set to 8.3 via buffers, and regardless of night or day, it steadly declines.
I can't get it to stay up, I keep buffering to maintain it above 8.0 but my KH is now out of control: 25 or so. and my fish woke up today with ick.
All other levels are fine, calcium is maintained at 450 with liquid calcium, Nitrage is 0, Nitrate is 0, Ammonia is 0, temp is controled bet 78-80 during peak hours. I run a skimmer, no reactor and one 900 maxi for circulation. 30 gal hexagon. Metal halides and atinics with moonlights. Please help. Everywhere I go nobody has a clue.
Old 10/13/2004, 08:10 PM
RC Mod

Some more information would be helpful. What is your alkalinity level? What is your alkalinity (and Ca) supplementation scheme?

Trying to fix the pH with buffers generally doesn't work. The moderator doesn't recommend it, and I had problems with it.

This article is a good reference for starters.
Old 10/14/2004, 07:19 AM
Reef Chemist

pH often drops if there is elevated CO2 in the air in your home.

How low is it dropping?

The article linked above should be able to help.