Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2004, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Help with PH and Calc balancing

I have been dripping limewater as a two part suppliment and it has been raising my alk a lot which is at 10.9dKH(3.89meq/L) but my calcium is stuck at 380. It has never gone higher. On top of it all my PH has been rising and now tops out at 8.8 and swings down to 8.6. Salinity(1.025) and temp (80-80) are constant. Is there something I can do to lower my PH some without raising my alk more? Is the high ph preventing my calcium from reaching a higher concentration? Thanks for any help.
Old 10/06/2004, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

did some more digging and found a great article by randy suggesting adding vinigar so i am going to give that a try.
Old 10/07/2004, 06:37 AM
Reef Chemist

Actually, that won't help this situation. You can't use a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive such as limewater to raise calcium a lot because alkalinity will go through the roof.

You need to use a calcium only supplement, such as calcium chloride. Then, once the calcium is adequate, the limewater with or without vinegar is a fine way to maintain both calcium and alkalinity.

This article may help:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
Old 10/07/2004, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

thanks randy, that article is very helpful. I am going to pick up some kent turbo calcium today on the way home and use that to get my calcium up and alk down a little. try and get them balanced then switch back to the limewater. should i be concerned with the PH? at first that was by biggest concern, but i saw another thread where you had said that 8.8 wasnt that bad seeing as 8.5 was the goal. will switching to turbo calcium temporarily and balancing out the calcium/alk ratio help with the high ph or should i use vinegar in my limewater to bring it down a little? thank you very much.
Old 10/07/2004, 12:59 PM
Reef Chemist

I missed the high pH above. I'm not sure what thread that was, but a pH of 8.8 is too high, IMO. A pH of 8.5 is the upper limit IMO.

FWIW, oyur pH measurement may also be off.

More aeration or using vinegar will help reduce the pH.
Old 10/07/2004, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

okay thanks. i calibrated my ph meter before i tested and checked it after testing, and used an old fashined test strip that seemed to show the same, so i am pretty sure that it is right. i am going to try the vinegar route first and see how that goes. If I start adding turbo calc, my alk is going to start going down, so can I be dripping limewater at the time (probably at a slower rate) to balance everything out? or should i just get the calcium up and then start with the 2 part additive again?
Old 10/07/2004, 01:13 PM
Reef Chemist

As the pH drops, you may find that you can use less and less limewater. The high pH may cause excess abiotic precipitation. So adding less limewater is a good possibility.
Old 10/07/2004, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Do you think I should just switch to turbo calcium to get the ph down and the calcium up, or should I just focus on getting the ph down first and then deal with the calcium?
Old 10/07/2004, 01:44 PM
Reef Chemist

I'd boost the calcium now with the calcium chloride, then back off a bit on the limewater and/or add the vinegar to reduce the pH.
Old 10/07/2004, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Okay. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 10/07/2004, 03:16 PM
Reef Chemist

You're welcome.

Let us know what happens.
Old 10/13/2004, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Well I dosed just 2 gallons of turbo calcium (2 teaspoons per gallon) and ALL my levels are dead nuts on! Thanks a ton Randy. I dont know if its coninsidence or directly related to getting to the PH, alk, and CA in line, but my tank looks GREAT now. I had an algea boom that went away the past view days, a huge outbreak of pods, things are going good. thanks a ton.
Old 10/13/2004, 09:37 AM
Reef Chemist

You're welcome. I'm glad things seem well now.

FWIW, you can dissolve calcium chloride in a fairly small amount of fresh water.
Old 10/13/2004, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
You're welcome. I'm glad things seem well now.

FWIW, you can dissolve calcium chloride in a fairly small amount of fresh water.
I noticed that as I was setting this up, but I didnt want to rock the boat too much and figured I would stick with I had been doing with the pickling lime. Thanks again.
Old 10/13/2004, 03:09 PM
Reef Chemist

There's nothing wrong with adding it more dilute too.

Happy Reefing.