Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Stock tanks

I found a great site that has good prices on stock tanks!

The tanks I'm looking at are here.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=2805

That's 499.99 shipping and handling included for TWO 320 gallon poly stock tanks with a 1 1/2" drain!!!

Anybody have any better prices?

That's not too bad for two stock tanks that are 320 gallon, but I'm always looking for cheaper alternatives.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Oh the dimensions on those are 72" Diameter and 24" High.

A little big but would be ok for a decent sized greenhouse.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/11/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Very interesting. I would rather use smaller tanks and keep coral types seperate(monocultures). Perhaps I can use these for holding water or such.

Very tempting though.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Yeah you can't find a better deal online, I've been doing a lot of searching today and haven't been able to find a better price on the dimensions or gallonage.

Its damn sure tempting, if I do get them, my greenhouse will need a little remodeling to accommodate them, as I'll probably get 4 of them.

It would be great for a greenhouse, on the other hand think about placing the corals in the middle, it would be a little hard to reach around the whole tank, unless its a walk around area...most greenhouses wouldn't be able to do such a thing as it requires more space, etc.

So I might have to reconsider using them for frag tanks, but rather for sumps possibly, with liverock growouts.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me

Last edited by JaredWaites; 12/11/2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

You would have to put stuff that you does not require maintenance on the center, rocks, macro, plumbing etc.

Is there currently coral in your greenhouse or are you still planning?
Old 12/11/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

forgot to add $60 for non business adresses....so $559.... but still cheap
Old 12/11/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I think the size is great and they are white for online orders... I have a 8' diameter FW pond in my basement and I can almost reach the middle I think I could reach the middle of a 6' diameter one...
Old 12/11/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

rottbo,

I wouldn't have to pay the 60 extra bucks, I'll have it sent to my business. So that would make it real cheap

I mean you can't find a better deal, plus I suppose you could make a small walk around if you had to.

My greenhouse has no corals in it right now, just all of my gardening stuff, so I'm going to take everything out...its already got water there to hookup to RO/DI, we are going to use NSW that has had a liquid phosphate remover added and then it will seperate into two layers, you filter off the nasty gel like material at the bottom. Adjust the salinity slightly and run it through a U.V. filter for added protection and store it if need be, but keep it circulated of course.

I'll also be supplementing calcium via Tetra Flake, which I already get dirt cheap as of today.

I'm more concentrated on getting some new Polycarbonate panels, I'm pretty locked down on farmtek.com, they have some nice panels.

Once that's in line, I'll begin either making my stock tanks from plywood and fiberglass resin and gelcoat, or I'll buy some tanks and fit everything up with some pool pumps. One would be enough for all of the tanks easily and run a skimmer most likely.

I'll end up making a big skimmer for it probably while I'm at work, as they are expensive to buy for such a large skimmer. Your talking about 2,000 gallons of water and tying all the tubs together would be great in a greenhouse to keep temperatures more stable.

The only probably I see is having a good size, affordable RO/DI unit. So I'll probably end up making on of those too.

Old 12/11/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

keep us up to date, it sounds interesting. Also, look into getting a DI only filter(stf for kati ani), that should be much more affordable.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

You mean RO only?

Old 12/11/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

I would go with the stock tanks that you posted instead of making them tried and true plus they are white and cheap I might order two!!!!!!!!!! I think that the 24" depth is awesome keep the temp stable plus just setup adjustable racks I have them in my 180 frag.. and I love it....
Old 12/11/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rottbo
I I have a 8' diameter FW pond in my basement and I can almost reach the middle I think I could reach the middle of a 6' diameter one...
I am also 6'4" so my that helps me reach in far..
Old 12/11/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

I have a link for triple walled polycarbonate panels that are comparable in price I will try and find it but I guess in Florida the extra insulation wouldnt matter but up here in the northern midwest it does matter
Old 12/11/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ber=CPC%2DCL83
Old 12/12/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Nope, DI only, no waste water plus the resin is easily rechargeable= cheaper.

kati ani, try the filter guys I think they have them in stock.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Yeah but what kind of TDS do you get with these units?

Do they have prefilters and stuff on them before the DI Resin?

Old 12/12/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Nevermind I found some information on them here.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/kati_ani_di-onizer.htm