Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Bellus Angels

Anyone have any real life experience with Bellus Angels? Any thoughts? I've read conflicting info and would like to see if it can be cleared up before I consider dropping 200 clams on a pair. Hardy or not? Is decompression sickness still going on with these fish? Do they really need to be in dimly lit tanks and what defines dimly lit?

Last edited by lpsluver; 01/11/2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:48 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Re: Bellus Angels

Quote:
Originally posted by lpsluver
Anyone have any real life experience with Bellus Angels? Any thoughts? I've read conflicting info and would like to see if it can be cleared up before I consider dropping 200 clams on a pair. Hardy or not? Is decompression sickness still going on with these fish? Do they really need to be in dimly lit tanks and what defines dimly lit?
Bob great fish. i've been a genichantus fan foir many many moons.
They r IMHO the perfect reef fish.

There's that concern about collection and swimbladder disease. Please make sure they are swiming correctly prior to buying. besides that the rest of the concerns are valid but way overtstated.

In my current tank I have a genichantus used to have 3 before relocating a couple.
Dimly lit- how about 3x400 watters LOL.
BTW 200 clams on a pair
Old 01/11/2008, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

thanks Manny. I was thinking $200 was a good price for a pair of Bellus, from what I've been reading. But I have to say that the stuff that I've been reading is about 8 month+ old. What, IYO, should I be paying? This is a calibration exercise for me.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:46 PM
TANK RAIDER!

pm sent
Old 01/11/2008, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

I have a female Bellus who has been a model citizen in my reef tank. She's been in there for at least 6 months and has done very well. I have heard that the males tend to be a bit more touchy, but not too bad overall.

Mine had no problem acclimating to the lighting in my tank either. Swimbladder disease can be a problem, but I was able to watch her swim before purchasing so it was easy enough to avoid that problem.

I don't remember how much I paid for her, but $200 seems pretty reasonable for a pair.

Good luck with your Bellus...they are definitely worth the money!

Torry-
President, Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society