Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/14/2007, 04:07 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

I used loctite epoxy. It's thick but runny. I put tape on one side and drizzled epoxy on the other, then took the tape off when dry.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 01/15/2007, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

I molded the cone by hand with the same epoxy putty that I use for frags and plugging the Beckett holes. My stuff is called marine plastic repair epoxy stick.
Old 01/15/2007, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

I also scuffed the bottom of the ball and put a couple of drops of Zap gel so it wont pop-off.
Old 01/15/2007, 08:07 PM
Ozone Sniffer

So could you tell any difference with the cone?
Thanks

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 01/15/2007, 08:21 PM

I think, and correct me if I am wrong, but with the cone, you can contact Marklark directly right?
Old 01/15/2007, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

I also wrapped my skimmer in Aluminum foil to block the brain radio mind control signals. No obvious difference, perhaps someone with a air flow gauge will try the mod.
Old 01/15/2007, 09:56 PM

I don't think using aluminum foal on the skimmer is such a good idea because you may be blocking in the mind control signals to the point of accumulation and when you take it off to clean the collection cup, BANG!!!
Old 01/19/2007, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Wow! The thread has grown. I'll try to read some of the later stuff and catch up as I can. I have been playing a little more...

Last night I had the dremel out and decided to see what would happen if a person drilled ~100 1/32 holes. I popped the newly modded beckett into the skimmer mentioned in the first post (10" dia, 32" overall, mag 18 driven) and left everything set like it was for the original mod. Then I went on with other things and never checked it before I went to bed. The only result that I can reliably report is that with the same settings as the original mod, that skimmer will fill a gallon waste container AND pump about 5 gallons of water out on the floor overnight. I have to wonder if there is a point where it becomes overkill. I'll let it run a while and see if I think it is skimming better or merely making a pretty, white column of saltwater frappe. I believe that theory says smaller is better as far as bubbles go. We shall see...

Like the Enron 2006 trial? You'll love the sequel - Exxon trial 2009!
Old 01/19/2007, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

Whiteice, I don't see why it would not work horizontally. The beckett is designed to 'suck' (ok, ok create pressure differentials) so it would seem that position would be a non-factor. If there were to be 'pooling' inside the housing, I think there 'sucking' would keep enough water pulled out. I wonder if water in the housing might actually equalize at a point of 'optimum equilibrium' for a particular set up, if that makes sense...water fills the housing to the point that the optimim number of holes are pulling air? Maybe I am thinking incorrectly so maybe a guru can weigh in on the matter...

Last edited by Waylander; 01/19/2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01/19/2007, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

sgolden, input pipe is a trade-off. Higher pipes have less back pressure which can be a problem with lower powered pumps. I, personally, go with 1" all the way to the body. I do like to use a larger pipe for the riser due to the increase of volume with the wonderful pi*r*r formula which makes for a 'slower' skimmer at a given velocity. Not saying it is 'correct' or 'optimum', it's just what I do. FWIW.

Old 01/19/2007, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

salt lick, I am going to have to 'borrow' your cone idea! What do you think of it so far?

Old 01/19/2007, 12:07 PM
Ozone Sniffer

The only issue I see when using the Beckett horizontally is that the water that gets into the housing will now only be sucked up by the lower holes. When mounted vertically, all the air holes suck in that little bit of water evenly.
This could be either boon or bane, as maybe the periodic sucking of water causes burps that will virtually disappear when horizontal?

Oh, shoot, somebody get a 90 already and mount it up

Old 01/19/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

So let me get this straight for my understanding. On a skimmer the smaller the bubbles the better it performs(against nutrient etc.). The reason i ask is because on my skimmer i had problems tuning it right and blah blah blah,but ended up buying the air valve. I was thinking tiny bubbles (smaller than i got now) weren't a good idea.

So should i go back to the tiny-est bubbles as possilble? And if so why?
Old 01/19/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

more surface with tiny bubbles then with large ones.
Old 01/19/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
more surface with tiny bubbles then with large ones.
For the same volume of air this is true. If you take a spherical bubble and split it into two spherical bubbles, you'll get about 25% more surface area.
Old 01/19/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Waylander,
Hard to say if the cone makes a difference. someone on this thread pointed out that as the volume of air sucked in the Beckett goes up the flow of the water decreases. I had not realized this before. explains why its hard to tune small or short skimmers, you have to iterate the gate valve and the air valve. so less back pressure should create more suction and more water flow: which means water height in the neck might not change! Need to measure water height and cc/min air to determine effects. It didn't hurt performance.
Old 01/20/2007, 05:27 AM
Registered Member

salt lick good way to ajust the beckett is with a air gage it helps wth the performance of the skimmer.
Old 01/20/2007, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
salt lick good way to ajust the beckett is with a air gage it helps wth the performance of the skimmer.

Where can we pick up the air gauge?
Old 01/20/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Dwyer -RMB 53 D air gage and you can buy it from Dwyer. com
Old 01/24/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I have finally read this entire string. Now a question based on a thought I had. Has anyone drilled their holes at angle to the flow or has everyone drilled straight in? I was thinking maybe if the holes were at say a 45 degree angle to the flow if it might increase airflow?
Old 01/24/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

How about having 3 air intake holes in the beckett holder to let the air come in from all sides to the beckett and you will need 3 air lines the same size to tie into the air valve for air control .The 3 air lines will need the same length.
Old 01/24/2007, 07:53 PM
Ozone Sniffer

I think as long as you have a gap around the beckett head, the one airline would do fine.

The angled intake might help slightly, but the opening would still have to be at the top of the original holes. So when you start the hole, it will need to be higher up to compensate for the angle.

Old 01/30/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have plans for a Beckett Skimmer? I have searched, and found lots of different plans, so I guess I would like to see plans from a skimmer that someone has built and will recommend. Please help me, as I really NEED to replace my sea clown and have not much money to do it.
Old 02/03/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

I tried these mods on my becketts and saw my performanc drop drastically. I run mine with a pcx-100
Old 02/07/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Rod, could you be specific regarding what "dropped" exactly? and which of the mods you tried? Thanks