Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/28/2006, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Wow!!! Now that is truely amasing! Great news to hear! But I'm still having a bit of trouble. My snail seem a bit lethargic. Not really doing alot. I'm wondering if they're even alive. Did you have this problem initially? Maybe i screwed up the acclimation.
Old 01/29/2006, 04:03 AM
Registered Member

Re: Update: Unbeliveble Results 80% Gone

Quote:
Originally posted by mmgm
and now my empty tank......

LIES !!!! I see a Sailfin Tang, a few Anthias, a Leather, and a few other things LOL, j/k gratz man...
Old 01/29/2006, 09:12 AM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Re: Re: Update: Unbeliveble Results 80% Gone

Quote:
LIES !!!! I see a Sailfin Tang, a few Anthias, a Leather, and a few other things LOL, j/k gratz man...
All this in a 400 gallon display tank.... Not much to go by.....

The great thing with the Red Nightmare gone I can resume stocking my 400 gallon.......

Waldomas, my snails went right to work as soon as putting them in the tank.... Are you sure you used "Mexican" Turbos? Can you post pictures? Hopefully yours will start eating soon..... I can attest that they do end up eating all of this Red stuff.....

arconom.... Thanks again for sharing your experiences and recomendations for the Turbos with us.....
Old 01/29/2006, 08:30 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Had to celebrate

With this beauty..... Isn't she Nice?

Here's one with the Leather in the background.....

And my favorite Rose.....

Back in the hobby..... Feels great.....
Old 01/29/2006, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

I aspire to be equally enthusiastic in a week or two! Did you continue to syphon the algae after you added the turbos? Do you think youre snails will survive without the red algae? Sorry for so many questions, but you probably know how anxious I am. Congratulations and thank you again!!
Waldo
Old 01/29/2006, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

ok...what is that first one?

When my tank is looking better, can I get a frag of that?

Nice!!
Old 01/29/2006, 09:32 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Quote:
Originally posted by waldomas
I aspire to be equally enthusiastic in a week or two! Did you continue to syphon the algae after you added the turbos? Do you think youre snails will survive without the red algae? Sorry for so many questions, but you probably know how anxious I am. Congratulations and thank you again!!
Waldo
Waldo

I did not siphon any Red Algae out after putting in the snails. The snails removed everything. I tried siphoning out some Algae today from my refugium. However, when you try to siphon this stuff it just blows everywhere and propogates through the entire system. I ended up purchasing another 30 snails and placing in my refugium.... Hopefully they will be able to get rid of what is growing in the fuge..... (a ton of this stuff)

When these snails fall off a rock they cannot recover by themselves. As a result about 8 have already died. These fell off where it is very difficult to get to them. (36 inch tall tank).... However, with 700 + gallons in my system I'm sure they will always find something to eat after the Red Nightmare is gone.....

Have you noticed any progress with your tank?
Old 01/29/2006, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

[
Have you noticed any progress with your tank? [/B][/QUOTE]

Not yet. I have had to "pick up" a few that have fallen. I think I have already lost a few. Hopefully it wont foul the water in my 180gal. It has a 55gal sump and a 55 gal fuge. Unfortunately, I cant reach all of the deceased.
Old 02/01/2006, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

this stuff took over my tank. It is getting better now that I increased my water flow in the areas where it was the worst and also, I added a poly filter that absorbs organics. I feel like it really helped. I have noticed that my queen conch eats it also.
Old 02/04/2006, 10:52 AM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Well.... My tank is 100% free of the nightmare... IN order to prevent the snails from starving I will be moving a good portion of them to my fuge.... The Red nightmare still covers about 70% of my refugium...... but not for long.....

Waldo.... any updates on your tank?
Old 02/04/2006, 10:52 AM
Premium Dad and Hubby

double post again...?
Old 02/04/2006, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

mmgm, glad to hear youre rid of that stuff. Those snails kick butt!!! Only problem is having to pick them up all the time when they fall. Guess that red hair algae is intoxicating.

Thanks again for all youre help.
Waldo
Old 02/04/2006, 06:23 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Great to hear your making progress..... Any pictures to post?
Old 02/04/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Pictures are something ive been meaning to do. Hopefully in the next couple of days. We have super bowl party preparations.
Old 02/07/2006, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I have had this problem for a few months now and I have been looking a post like this for a long time. I am thrilled about the results you have had with this snail mmgm. Congrats!

Is this the snail you are referring to; Jumbo Mexican Turbo Snail
(Turbo fluctuosa)? http://www.etropicals.com/product/pr...catid=1293&N=0

Does it have to be this species of Turbo? I hope I can get this snail as I am on the verge of giving up although I know it is difficult to get lifestock from the Mexican Gulf (I currently live in Finland). Or does this snail come from other parts of the world as well?

Btw my parameters are fine as well; I have 0 nitrate, 0 phosphate, 0 silicate but still this algae grows like mad.

Any views on the use of Iron to tackle this problem?

Good luck to the rest of you and thanks Arconom for finding a key to this disaster!
Old 02/07/2006, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

That is THE snail!!! A real workhorse! I put 50 in my 180 gal, and in 2 weeks...all gone!! I probably lost about half to crabs and falls. You have to right them when they fall. PIA but well worth it.

Good luck,
Waldo
Old 02/08/2006, 03:55 AM
Registered Member

So an "ordinary" turbo would not do the trick?
Old 02/08/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

I have alot of various snails in my tank, and these Mexican turbos seem to be the only ones that eat the red hair algae.

Waldo
Old 02/08/2006, 10:16 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Unbeleivable Snail story

So my tank is looking great and I am ecstatic that the Red Nightmare is no longer a problem.......

BUT I get home from work yesterday at 10:00 pm and first thing I notice....... THE TANK IS SILENT.......... No water flow at all........ and I have over 30 fish in my display tank...

I go down into the garage only to find the powerstrip shorted out and all pumps are off with water all over the floor........

Can you beleive a Mexican Turbo snail worked it's way into my 55 gallon refugium and got stuck in the overflow that leads to the sump? As a rersult the 55 gallon fuge filled to the top and overflowed onto my powestrip that the pumps were plugged into?

Thank God I did not loose any fish or coral...... I have to say screens have now been installed on the 1 inch overflows in that fuge..... All other overflows in my system are inch and a half which is big enough to handle a run away snail.....

Sometimes you just can't win...... but in this hobby you have to take the good with the bad...... The larger the system the more you stand to loose...... (and gain too)......

Thought I would share this story with this group......
Old 02/08/2006, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

mmgm,

Great to see you have a good attitude about youre accident. It certainly IS a TRYING hobby. I coinsidently just moved all my power strips away from possible floods and have just noticed a problem with my overflow in my fuge.

I, unfortunately have my fuge drilled in the side, close to the top, and when I increased the flow into it, the level rose above the hole!

I had to back it down to keep my fuge from overflowing. I then thought, it would not be good if one of those snails got stuck in there.

Sorry bout youre misshap! Hope an auto topoff didnt lower the SG! I am using a simple float switch (mechanical) in my sump with a gravity fed storage container with fresh topoff water.

BTW, all but a small tuft or two of the algae were eaten away to nothing! I hope it doesnt grow back easily!

Waldo
Old 02/09/2006, 12:03 AM
Jer

http://www.etropicals.com/product/pr...catid=1293&N=0

so these are the guys? much thanks, my lfs' are out and i may have to order them
Old 02/21/2006, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I am wondering, for everyone that has used the turbo method and had success with it, did your algea look like the algea in these pictures?

So far all I have heard about the algea everyone is fighting in this thread seems to be a soft cotten like algea, whereas the pictures I posted the algea strands are not super thin like cotten strands would be.

I am just looking for a solution to my red algea problem like every one else.

Old 02/21/2006, 08:47 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Kevin:

My algae did not look anything like the stuff you posted..... Not sure how to answer you with this one.....
Old 02/21/2006, 09:41 PM
Memium Prember

Re: Unbeleivable Snail story

Quote:
Originally posted by mmgm
......I have to say screens have now been installed on the 1 inch overflows in that fuge..... All other overflows in my system are inch and a half which is big enough to handle a run away snail.........
Great thread! Dire conditions at the start, a hard fought battle, and the evil red nightmare is banished at the end!

BTW even my twin 1.5" fuge drains into my sump have screens on them!
Old 02/22/2006, 07:02 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Re: Re: Unbeleivable Snail story

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmpe
Great thread! Dire conditions at the start, a hard fought battle, and the evil red nightmare is banished at the end!

BTW even my twin 1.5" fuge drains into my sump have screens on them!
Thanks... I hear you about the screens....Just don't want them to get clogged also......

It's all OK now......