Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2003, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Starboard poly-sheets plastic building material you can buy at West Marine. www.westmarine.com
Old 11/03/2003, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Starboard poly-sheets plastic building material you can buy at West Marine. www.westmarine.com
Old 11/03/2003, 05:14 PM
Texas Kamaaina

Quote:
Originally posted by ldrhawke
Damn You Bomber...............

Why fight a phosphate sponge with all your creative juices and attempt a daily balancing act, to try and keep it functioning; when a bare bottom, high flow rates, and good skimmer solves the problem.

And don't forget a little siphoning of detritus with a water change goes a long way too.
Old 11/03/2003, 05:34 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:

I just logged on to this thread and have been reading for a half hour. It all makes too much sense. Why fight a phosphate sponge with all your creative juices and attempt a daily balancing act, to try and keep it functioning; when a bare bottom, high flow rates, and good skimmer solves the problem.

I hate it when somebody takes something I have made so complex and makes it simple.

I can use big works too you know!

Someone explained to me a long time ago (OK OK it might have been about a century ) that - If you can't explain something in plain English -- then you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 11/03/2003, 05:36 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Kpyto
Idrhawke,

I am doing the same for my Deep Crushed Coral Bed and have started a thread regarding the conversion process. Seeing as you are converting a DSB, perhaps you could add comment to my thread so others can start to see a process of how to go about it if they are going to make the switch. Here is the link...

Conversion to BB discussion
You guys put your creative juices together and give Chris a hand.
Old 11/03/2003, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I just logged on to this thread and have been reading for a half hour. It all makes too much sense. Why fight a phosphate sponge with all your creative juices and attempt a daily balancing act, to try and keep it functioning; when a bare bottom, high flow rates, and good skimmer solves the problem.

I hate it when somebody takes something I have made so complex and makes it simple.

Now I am going to be spending the next two weeks trying to figure out how to tear down my newly cycled tank, without loosing all the coral and fish, and go bare bottom.

PS Beautiful tank...love the simplity.
easy now...
i'm quite the novice on reef keeping, BUT:

it seems many can keep a successful reef tank with a dsb for 4 years or more...don't prematurely jump on the starboard bandwagon!

no offense to you all on your starboard reefs or anything, but, there's some highly successful tanks out there with dsb's. i don't know that i'd break down a perfectly cycled tank just yet. not to mention that the starboard tank looks kinda....sterile.
Old 11/03/2003, 07:03 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by toonces
easy now...
i'm quite the novice on reef keeping, BUT:.
So enjoy it toonces. The learning curve is all the fun.
Old 11/03/2003, 07:22 PM
Moved On

I'll post one of my first recommendations when converting and DSB to BB. I'm posting it to both thsi site and the Conversion to BB Discussions. The nore I think about, this recommendation may be even more important to BB than a DSB system.

In your case Bomber it may not be as important, but most of cannot afford or care to go through massive weekly water changes you do. With you large water changes it is not as critical because your potential nitrate unset loading is addressed with you massive frequent water changes.

As I posted on another thread...

My Newby stupidity Example: I think I have over loaded my system with fish. I have nearly a dozen in a 45 gallon tank. My Tang and LawnMower are pooping machines. My Jawfish are making holes in my bed.

Even with this every thing was great, with good water quality and zero nitrates. My Calc was 460, Alk 11.2, pH 8.3. salinity 1.025, temp. 80F. Then, last week all hell broke loose, my tank had a algae bloom. Nitrates started climbing.

I discovered the cause. In the back of my fuge a large clump of algae was growing and went sour in the center and was dumping everything back in the system. Near the top of my live rock column hair and clump fern type algae srted to grow, which I recently read is poisonous, and why the Tang wouldn't touch it.

I knew the cause of the sudden algae bloom was in large part the nitrate loading from the dying algae, but I could not seem to bring the bloom under control, even with the fuge cleaned up.

I started reading on this an other sites everything I could find on other's efforts and approaches to bring the hair algae under control. I read about many different experiences, and one of which was the use of Ozone injected right into the to the skimmer. A process used by many commercial aquariums. The advantage of Ozone is that it directly treats organic build up in the water by oxidizing it.

Interesting read: http://www.netpets.com/fish/referenc...ook8c.html#8.5

I purchased a RedSea AquaZone 100ml/hr unit with a built in ORP meter and controller. Recommended treatment rates is about 1ml/tank gallon and reduce it from their as your ORP reading starts to get back where it should be between 320 and 400 mv. This unit does it automatically.

I hooked it up. My ORP readingwas only 230mv. Poor quality water quality which you could not tell by looking at it. The dying algae was dumping alot of phos and nitrogen back into the tank. A catch 22. You try to kill off the algae and it only makes thing worse with nitrogen and phos over load as it strats to die.

I cut my fish feeding in half, started feed Kalk 24/7,( along with my present CalcReactor) and added an Ozone system.
Within 24 hours my ORP reading was up to 330 mv.

In three days nearly all the algae has turned white.

The immediate affect on the coral was amazing. All the coral virtually bloomed and expanded more than it ever had in the past. My Pagoda's became solid extended polyups. The Shooms expanded twice as large as they had ever been. The Bubble was like a helium ballon. Even my new blue tort frags now had all their polyps extended. You could almost watch them respond as the ORP strted to climb from the ozone addition.

The tank water virtually became crystal clear. The skimmer foam was white and lite. The skimmer waste looked like tea instead of tar and no longer stunk.

Nitrate is back to zero where it should be and ORP is back to over 330 and climbing. The tank is recovering nicely and coral and fish never looked so good.

When you go BB, the skimmer performance becomes evenmore critical. I don't beleive their is a better way to increase it's efficiency than injecting Ozone.

The ORP meter and probe alone is worth the price. You can trace the water quality trend. If a fish dies our you have an algae bloom you see an immediate drop in the ORP. When I feed the fish it drops immediately.

When you give it some thought, adding ozone isn't much different than a CalcReactor, Skimmer, or High Flow pumps. A high ORP reading is comparable to a high ALK reading. Both give you the buffer to absorb and stabilize changing loads.

All are artifcial means of duplicating what happens in nature to improve tank water quality for corals. It gives you the capability of giving immediate response to poor water quality. Even more affectivel than water changes do. Freshly made up salt water only has an ORP reading of about 240.

As you can tell...I'm sold

Old 11/03/2003, 07:42 PM
10 & Over Club

I'm running a 80wHO UV for some of the same reasons. UV's produce a certain amount of ozone.

Quote:
In your case Bomber it may not be as important, but most of cannot afford or care to go through massive weekly water changes you do. With you large water changes it is not as critical because your potential nitrate unset loading is addressed with you massive frequent water changes.
Nope, nope, nope. I was doing massive water changes because of the stinking DSB. I did one 50% water change back in the second week of August, right after I took out the DSB and reestablished the tank. That was over two and a half months ago and no water changes since. Nitrates have been a consistent >0.5ppm.

hawke, where do nitrates come from?
Old 11/03/2003, 08:09 PM
Moved On

The chain is ammonia, (fish waste & foodwaste)(NH? or NH?+4 ), nitrifying bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrite(NO2), waste from nitrobacter is nitrate(NO3).
Old 11/03/2003, 08:12 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
The chain is ammonia, (fish waste & foodwaste)(NH? or NH?+4 ), nitrifying bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrite(NO2), waste from nitrobacter is nitrate(NO3).
Exactly.

If you don't leave it in there to break down, you don't have high nitrates.
Old 11/03/2003, 09:08 PM
Moved On

Collection and capture is easy to do with the solid waste, not as easy with the liquid. The problem is that a large portion of the waste produced and excerted by fish and coral is not a solid waste.
Old 11/03/2003, 09:23 PM
10 & Over Club

Not so. Ammonia/ammonium does not hang around that long and is used as food. Nitrites are easily exported as bacterial flock and detritus.

The nitrate problems are from letting waste sit there and rot.
Old 11/03/2003, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

pulling my 4-6 " DSB out tomorrow , I am just sick and tired of trying to get rid of the hair algae growing on the rocks and the brown diatom growing all over the sandbed. I have only one frigging fish in a 65 gallon tank{one purple tang} , plus two cleaner shrimp. Then only feeding that the tank gets is a small daily addition of Seaweed Select algae on a clip , thats it. Have about 60 -70 pounds of Marshall Islands live rock that I got from Premium Aquatics . Using an Etss downdraft skimmer that works very well . Use a Spectrapure 5 stage ro/di unit for a water additions , including the evap. water with kalkwasser. Lights are Custom Sealife (4 65 watt ) almost brand new...! Have had several sucessful reef tanks in the past using a basic Berlin setup , had a few episodes with hair algae , but they didnt last very long , probably because I got behind in my husbandry....but never have I had the problems that I have experienced with this DSB . I has been over two years now and it has never been right.
I am throwing in the towel on the DSB ........! When I set up my 150 that is in progress , you can bet it wont be a DSB either.
Steve
Old 11/03/2003, 11:05 PM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

1 by 1 people are making the switch.
Old 11/03/2003, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

I did forget to mention I was not thrilled about the idea of losing 1/4 of my display to sand. Seems to me that increases your biolode by having less of a natural area for your fish to roam.
Old 11/03/2003, 11:35 PM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

sounds about right, but the DSB itself is a bioload.
Old 11/04/2003, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

nanorfj, I was meaning to ask you where you had gotten the rest of your live rock. I know you mentioned Dr. Mac and Sons for the couple of pieces on the left, but it all looks beautiful; and the pieces on the right look very similiar. Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that fairly new rock covered in pinkish/purple coralline...that's what I want! Looks beautiful up against the black cutting board..
Old 11/04/2003, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

So how are you Starboarders going to remove all the crap/detritus etc.... that eventually settles under the Starboard?
Old 11/04/2003, 07:30 AM
10 & Over Club

ROTFL That's it!

It's flat on the bottom of the tank, what's going to get under it? I had a DSB that was full.
Old 11/04/2003, 08:19 AM
Moved On

Quote:
So how are you Starboarders going to remove all the crap/detritus etc.... that eventually settles under the Starboard?
Great point.......I also awoke thinking about that same issue. I do my best design work while asleep.

The total concept of how to process detritus in a tank changes when you go BB.

The first stage of waste processing now becomes physical and not biological treatment to collect solids. The conventional tank designs with top over flows become obsolete.

It now becomes more like how I designed all my Koi systems to export large quantities of waste taht collects on the bottom of the ponds I built around my home. The idea is to not allow solid waste to remain in the tank for biological processing in the sand bed or on the live rock. Actually the concpet would benefit even a convention DSB system becasue it would reduce waste loading on the biological system.

If you have a bare bottom, the waste discharge inlet needs to be on the bottom of the tank, NOT THE TOP. Most of the waste gravitates to the bottom. You want the major tank flow to be off the bottom of the tank, not an over overflow weir at the top, so the settling waste can be easily collected and exported.

I have come up with a relatively easy concept fix that can be adapted to most tanks with internal overflow weir chambers. I will draw it up when I have time.

Basically all you do is build and over flow inside the exisitng overflow box and take it's feed inlet off the bottom of the tank weir chamber. It simply requires cutting a 3/4" or larger hole near the bottom of the internal overflow chamber, inside the tank. Gluing in a 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch 90 degree elbow, or if you have enough room use a bulkhead fitting, inside the chamber with the elbow turned up. Cut a piece of pipe a to insert (not glue) in the elbow, so that the top of the pipe is about a 1/2" below the existing over flow and inside the overflow chamber. That way the existing over flow system remains functional and a backup, if for any reason the adapted outlet plugs. It will need a coarse screen on the inlet of the elbow so you don't easily suck up the fish.

The concept can be modified and adapted for other tank configurations and overflow designs.

In this manner most of the tank recirculation flow is now off of the bottom of the tank where waste collects and settles.

The tank outlet flow could go to a gravity vortex separator to centrifuge out the solids collected to a reduced the water volume and concentrate the waste. From their the reduced waste volume flow can go through a bag filter or a settling chamber where it concentrates and can be removed daily.

I designed a vortex chamber in my existing system return sump. It is simple and fool proof. It discharges into an attached nylon mesh collection bag. It works great. I empty a bag of solid waste from it daily. It is a simple design you can build with 4" PVC pipe and adapters from Home Depot. All it takes is a little cutting and grinding to build the inlet to cause the vortex action.

COMMENTS and questions?
Old 11/04/2003, 09:10 AM
TRC Leader

Yes, how will you prevent your tank from being drained when the return pump is off? Do you drill an anti-siphon hole in the pvc near the top of the overflow chamber?
Old 11/04/2003, 09:15 AM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

Pics or drawed plans
Old 11/04/2003, 09:24 AM
Moved On

That is the reason for the inserted stand pipe. With the piece of PVC pipe inserted in the turned up elbow and cut so it is just 1/2" below the existing weir height, that won't happen.

The most that can drain into the sump is the amount of water above the height of the pipe. All you are doing is bypassing the exisitng weir and taking your return flow off of the bottom of the tank.

The the height of the over flow can easily be adjusted by the length of the stand pipe. You immediately make it non functional by making it higher than the exisiting weir.

Or you can play with the standpipe length and adust it so it is just high enough were it can't handle all of the pump return overflow and them part of the over flow continues over the existing weir. making it so that the flow is split with part going over the top and part being taken off of the bottom.
Old 11/04/2003, 09:37 AM
TRC Leader

I look forward to the sketches.