Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2004, 03:51 PM
30 year and over club

Bomber, along the same lines I had another idea today. (I just have to experiment) I am building a lighted refugium filled with clay brick. The brick is very porous, cheap and inert. Of course it will operate as an algae filter and if past experience serves me the algae will grow on the brick much faster than in my reef, then I can remove the brick and clean or replace it. I am hoping to eliminate the algae cycles. Of course I may be just getting bricks wet for no reason but try I must. I just love it when I get into experimenting mode.
Paul
Old 12/03/2004, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Salt

Boomer, What brand of Salt are you using... I have used I/O in the past and was wondering if you had any experience with oceanic....Thanks
Old 12/03/2004, 08:06 PM
10 & Over Club

Paul I'm thinking Rube Goldberg. Why go to all the trouble?

Mike, I'm Bomber. I'll give Boom a call and ask him for you.

Around here we either use NSW or IO, or some combination of those two.
Old 12/03/2004, 09:14 PM
30 year and over club

Bomber, why do something easy when I can make a project out of it?
Well its about 39 degrees here now. Wish I were there. Have a nice day.
Paul
Old 12/04/2004, 01:12 AM
get your reef on

brick filter

Paul, I think you should patent the "brick filter" idea before someone steals it
How did you think of that? I never would have ever thought of using brick in a filter.
How big is the filter going to be? This gives a new meaning to what BB used to mean in this thread. Now it can stand for Brick Bottom as well
Jonathan
Old 12/04/2004, 08:25 AM
30 year and over club

I love it. I will let you know how it works.
Paul
Old 12/05/2004, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

First I want to say that this thread is very informative. All of your setups are very nice. I am posting this after reading to page 52. I am going to go back and finish after this post. I have an idea but it may have already been covered. I love the idea of a simple BB but I cannot seem to get past the way it looks. How about if you are setting up a new tank adding you calcium carbonate and then either dropping or raising (I forgot which) the PH to fuse the
sand? This would give you a hard natural looking substrate that the extreme amount of flow will not push to one side of the tank. It may give you all the benefits of each setup. Please feel free to let encourage me or shoot me down here. I have a 75 That I am about to get started on and my wife and I dont want the hassles that can be created in time by a DSB. However we love the look of the sand in the tank. Please help. I am going back to read some more now because I want to learn more. Even thinking of going to school for marine Biology and Geology at TAMUG for at least a bachelors just for my own knowledge
Thanks
Old 12/05/2004, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Re: Salt

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesreef
Boomer, What brand of Salt are you using... I have used I/O in the past and was wondering if you had any experience with oceanic....Thanks
*snicker * Boomer? LMAO!

Mikesreef, I been using Oceanic salt the last little bit and to be honest with you i dont like it.. I will be going back to HW marine mix or IO . Calcium is too high and the MG is too high and it pulled my alk down in my system..

Boomer....... Im still laughing over that typo,,

Old 12/05/2004, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grochmal
Just out of curiosity, where did you buy all those snails?
At the usual prices, that would be over $400 worth of snails.
ouch!
Thats about a $1000 Canadian for them here. I would need just under half of that for my 170. No wonder some of us wish to downsize.

I always thought part of the reason I got rid of my sandbed was to get away from the expense of buying such critters.
Old 12/05/2004, 05:06 PM
grouchy hermit

ps2matrix - welcome to Reef Central. You may want to check out THIS thread ... the idea of using a faux sand bed has been tried before.

Spleen
Old 12/05/2004, 05:09 PM
10 & Over Club

Doug, what is the conversion rate??
Old 12/05/2004, 05:26 PM
grouchy hermit

Bomber - you're right ... I didn't even notice that! LOL!

Spleen
Old 12/05/2004, 05:29 PM
lift it up tallways

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber
Doug, what is the conversion rate??
I'm not Doug, but I do make payments on my Canadian Student loans from here in the US.

The current rate is about 1.17 CAD to USD. The US dollar is currently lower than it has been for as long as I can remember. My payments don't go nearly as far as they did 3 years ago.

However, the price of equipment and livestock is astromical in Canada. I used to pay $50 for a bag of IO (50 gal mix). If you go to Big Al's online, They have 2 sites, Canadian and US.

Instant ocean: 160Gal mix

US: 32.99 http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...;pcid1=;pcid2=

CAD: 129.99
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...id=2231&pcid1=

From my experience, that's still rock bottom prices for most of Canada.

My wife and I considered moving home last year, but I determined that I probably wouldn't be able to afford my reef tank if we moved home. Or, in any event, I would be disgusted with the prices after being spoiled rotten here in the US for so long.

E.
Old 12/05/2004, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Spleen, That is exactly what I was looking for. Alll of the looks and the benefits too.
Ron
Old 12/05/2004, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Paul,

I wonder if you could use the brick to stabilize your temperature.. Just think about it, it absorbs the heat during the day and releases it at night.. Ya never know!
Old 12/05/2004, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Ewan,

I just picked up a 200 gallon box of IO for less than $70 Canadian as part of a group buy here in Tronna.

Hmmm ... I also picked up a frag of orange zoanthids (about 10 polyps) for $20 ... a frag of a Bali "deep water" acro for $20 (bright green under good lights, brown but growing under my 4 T5 lights) ... another zoanthid colony with lime green centres for $20. These are all retail prices.

Prices, IMO, aren't that bad in Toronto for everyday dry goods and livestock. Some hardware is more expensive, but, even then, generally not much than 20% more expensive than US prices if you nose around. And there are some surprising things, too, like ReefCrew, our local live food gurus. You can get fresh phyto, copepods, and rotifers from them in self serve fridges at a few different local LFS. And, since the owner is one heck of a guy, they also sell supplies for culturing your own live food. And the guy who's breeding maroon / ocellaris hybrids ...

Just something to chew on.
Old 12/05/2004, 09:21 PM
lift it up tallways

Thanks for the input! $70 is one heck of a deal. Nice work with the group buy. Excellent livestock prices too, I might add.

I've been growing rotifers and zoos here in the US. I guess I can get those items in Canada too from the same source (florida aqua farms). I grew up in the Maritime provinces, and it was a tough spot to keep a reef. My wife is from Kitchener ON, and we entertained the idea of moving there.

In the meanwhile, I'm a member of the Boston Reefkeepers, and that's a very active club. I really have spoiled myself rotten here. I do miss home though. Especially the maritimes.

It's good to hear that salt can be found for cheaper. I've found that the big al's price here in the US is usually the best price around.

Thanks!

E.
Old 12/06/2004, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

I just paid $96.89, with taxes for a 200g bucket of Instant Ocean. An example of snails prices are $1.85 for astrea and $2.00 for cerith. This is from one of the cheaper places to buy and are decent prices here.

Even if one could order such from the US, the cost of shipping and custom charges, plus being near a major airport would make it better to buy here.

Because of costs, I have usually stuck with larger turbo,s and trochus, but my turbo population is dwindling and the trochus can only eat so much.
Old 12/06/2004, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

$2.00 for cerith Holy cow.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 12/09/2004, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Guys,

I have noticed on some of these tanks, there seems to be a huge amount of flow, but no alternating current. Is this a concern or no? I'm not sure if it really matters, but people seem to make a bid deal out of it..
Old 12/09/2004, 09:56 PM
10 & Over Club

Robert hard corals like SPS really don't care as long as you don't let detritus build up on one side. That can cause tissue loss = death.
I change mine with valves so it goes clockwise for a while, then counter clockwise when I think of it.
Old 12/09/2004, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Bomber,

Thanks! So basically the idea is to make sure no crap builds up on them and not necessarily a random flow type of deal. I guess I could accomplish the same thing by using the non controlable streams and changing their direction once a week or so..
Old 12/10/2004, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregt
$2.00 for cerith Holy cow.

He,he. Welcome to Kanada.
Old 12/10/2004, 12:14 PM
Proud Father

I am an offical starboard member! I installed it last night...I will try to get some pics this weekend.

Mike
Old 12/10/2004, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Mike,

Sounds good! Can't wait to see the pics...