Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Frag Racks

So I was wondering what I could do if I wanted to add some frags that were on plugs. I hate the look of plugs they never fit onto a rock the right way. So I was doing some searching and I came across this site. http://www.mag-racks.com/

Actually what a simple idea, I sorta went daaaa I could of thought that! But they look like a great idea and away to keep several frags in one location. Of course they are magnetic and it would be a little bit of a challenge to get it to stick to the back of the RSM, but I think I might give it a shot.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
'''''''''''''''''''''
NaCl+H2O Fish - sounds like your area is hurricane prepared! Not so here, but when Hugo came through here (1989?) that was a once in a hundred years situation (I hope). Off topic, but in that case, with an unbelievable wind roar and the sound of trees cracking in half at 4am, and the following days without power, my family actually became a family again - huddled around a battery radio, candles for lights, and wondering when the downed trees would be removed from the streets so we could get out again. Then the power came on after couple days, and the son went up to his stereo, the TV and my wife's soaps came on, etc. - back to normal. It was nice while it lasted!
''''''''''''''''''
Reefmack-

Not to belabor the Hurricane point but I have lived in Hollywood, FL since July 1985. My first storm was August 24, 1992; the first named storm of the season ANDREW! The first major storm to hit the US since HUGO.... My wife and I lived in a townhouse at a Marina so we went 45 miles south to stay with her brothers family behind shuttered windows. Turns out we went from bad to worse, the northern edge of the eye! Exciting but scary 8 hrs. and what devastation when we ventured out at 8:30am that Monday morning! Since we have had a lot of close calls; feeder band rain and wind. But the quadruple whammy in 2005 of Dennis, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma convinced us to buy a generator. Katrina was Cat. 2 when it grazed us before going on to devastate New Orleans. Wilma was the worst here since Andrew! My wife, my beagle and I were on our kitchen floor shivering.... or a least my beagle was! LOL! Thankfully a 12 hour wind event mainly. We joked at the time that we were reduced to "HUNTER - GATHERERS" after Wilma. This place for ice handouts, another place for an open gas station and news of an open Publix grocery store! Kinda fun making coffee and scrambling eggs on my gas grill... Got pretty good at canned chili over egg noodle casseroles!

The link below is to the model diesel generator we purchased for $ 1700.00. Wanted diesel for safer storage, lower consumption and availability of fuel.

http://www.titanindustrial.net/tg5500.htm

I was amused to see the comparable value listed at the bottom of the page.... At that price I would be looking at a "Generac" or comparable whole house generator!

I'm thinking that with a chiller and reduced hours of lighting my RSM would require 300 - 400 watts to maintain. Any opinion on my calculation?

Kent
Old 01/05/2008, 02:06 PM
Genuine reef addict

Marty - MAXreefer is correct on the Outer Orbit hood. The Red Sea Max site is misleading. It states:

Aquarium length 610 mm (24")
Aquarium width 500 mm (19.7")
Aquarium height 500 mm (19.7")
Total height 612 mm (24.1")

Confusing - Actually the glass edge to edge across the front is about 23.5", and across the top black rim is 24". I just measured it. Red Sea's "Length" is actually the width, and the width must be front to back? I didn't measure that.

Y-DesygnGuy - good news on the naked clowns at an lfs without ich/disease problems. Let us know. You'll use up that AZ credit with no problems I'm sure!
Old 01/05/2008, 02:15 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - the frag rack is interesting. I've also seen individual magnetic frag bases that you can glue a coral to and stick on the back/sides.

NaCl+H2O Fish - you've been through a few big ones! I couldn't believe the price gouging that was going on here after Hugo - for ice, chain saws, generators, etc. It was disgusting to see some people trying to make a huge profit off of people. But, we're way off topic now.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Naked Clowns YES! and Frag Racks

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
So I was wondering what I could do if I wanted to add some frags that were on plugs. I hate the look of plugs they never fit onto a rock the right way. So I was doing some searching and I came across this site. http://www.mag-racks.com/

Actually what a simple idea, I sorta went daaaa I could of thought that! But they look like a great idea and away to keep several frags in one location. Of course they are magnetic and it would be a little bit of a challenge to get it to stick to the back of the RSM, but I think I might give it a shot.
Y-DesygnGuy- The "Frag Rack" looks like a simple solution....
Before you make a final decision, take a look at what thefilterguys are offering with a more 'natural' appearance 'fired ceramic' frag rocks.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/frag_supplies.htm

I have a suggested shopping list for AZSeabottom:
Big Bucket of Salt Mix
Kent Garlic
Your favorite reef conditioning supplies - Calcium+, Iodine, Strontium
BUT Nothing That IS Alive!

Can't wait to see PIX of your new NAKED CLOWNS!

Kent
Old 01/05/2008, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

An Alzheimers Moment!

Reefmack -

You mentioned receipt of your Dekalit jugs..... Hmmm! Got me to wondering???? Well.... This dummy, never completed my order!
They are still in my 'shopping cart'

Do you know anyway that a 'photo gallery' of the posted skimmer mod photos could be compiled for easy access for us all?

Any thoughts on your RSM's power consumption?

Thanks
Old 01/05/2008, 03:47 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Donna! Nice new babies! Luv 'em!

Gosh...so much reading to catch up on...I see we're back with algae issues...very timely...'cuz guess what...

I have algae issues!!!! *argh*

I spent over an hour trying to tweezer my sun coral, GSP, astraea snails, hermits and whatever else I could free of the d*mn hair and byropsis!

I managed to harvest quite a bit, but still...it's taking over...I really need something that will eat it...

I have NO idea what...something that will fit in the tank and not outgrow it...or die and possibly poison the system...

Other than that...s'all good!
Old 01/05/2008, 04:03 PM
Excuse My French...

Rue:

I have documented on the before-last page of my build thread (click the red house) how I have gotten rid of pest algae after weeks of patience and efforts.

Maybe this could help you out...
Old 01/05/2008, 04:19 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks Laurent...do you know which page it's on?

I'm still on dial-up and for some reason your thread loads ridiculously slowly on my computer...I'm talking potential hours to find find the relevant posts...
Old 01/05/2008, 04:29 PM
Excuse My French...

Rue: This is on
Page 25 (click me)
Old 01/05/2008, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

I'm naked again!

Ok so I drove the 80 miles and got 2 new Naked Clowns. Well one is totally naked and one has a pair of skibbies on I couldn't resist the one with a little white spot on him, he was an odd ball. So I rescued him from miss-fit island

The one with the little white spot is being picked on by the other one. I am hoping this settles down soon after one figures who is wearing the pants in the tank.

See they are bickering with one another, the without the white is totally pushing the other one around.

Checking out his/her new home...

A little bit wider of a shot, lots of nice colors now for sure!

Just thought I would share what they look like. These seem completely healthy to me and they ate right away. Big difference from the last two I bought, those were doomed from the start. I actually really like this store I went today, lots to choose from!
Old 01/05/2008, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Is that including the refrugium? If so what is the tank width without the refrugium

Marty

Aquarium width 500 mm (19.7")
Old 01/05/2008, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

YAAAAHOOOOOO! Their be NAKED CLOWNS here!

Y-DesygnGuy -

Congratulations!
They are beautiful.... but I am rubbing my eyes?

Is the last picture of the clowns in the LFS tank? Looks like 4?

The wider shot picture above that one is beautiful!!!

Am I to believe that ORA Farms is the only source for this genetic specialty?

Pleased that you found a quality LFS... even if it's 80 miles round trip!

Hoping that they settle down with one another and remain healthy!!!

ENJOY THEM MAN!

Old 01/05/2008, 05:37 PM
Genuine reef addict

NaCl+H2O Fish - yes - you have to complete the online orders rather than leave them in the cart LOL! Without going through the thousand pages of this thread I'm not sure I could even remember or locate all the skimmer mods. Plus, without an explanation for each, a picture in a gallery may not be enough. I think the most successful ones seem to be in the last 2 splits though. as pseudo leader of the gang I'll assign you the task hahahaha! Just kidding. On the power consumption of the RSM I have no idea. They sell something to measure that type of thing though - I think it's called a Kill-A-Watt? Just found it:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...il%20watt&Np=1

My measurement wouldn't help as I don't have much stock equipment left. I'm not sure if it's on the Red Sea site or not?

Rue - do you have a magnesium test kit. If you Mg is low that may be helping the algae. Mg is often low in salt mixes as it's one of the more expensive ingredients. It gets used up just like Calcium. Might be worth a test kit to see if your level is low. Get a Foxface! I know - they get too big - but, it saved my corals and mine isn't growing too big too quickly.

Y-DesygnGuy - did you buy 2 or 4 clowns? It looks like 4 in the last pic and doesn't seem to be a reflection?
Old 01/05/2008, 05:38 PM
Genuine reef addict

Marty - the tank as received is 24" across the top. What measurement are you asking for - front to back, or across the front?
Old 01/05/2008, 05:51 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Y-DesygnGuy: Glad you found nice fish! My first pair of true percs died soon after I got them, although they had been fine at the reef store. The ocellaris I have now are fine - even though the black one was stressed from shipping (I brought him home the day after a bad shipment where most of the fish had died).

You know - I don't know that I like them though! I would miss the stripes!

Reefmack: I can check the Mg levels...that's one thing I haven't done I don't think. My phosphate and nitrate levels always come up as 0.

I checked to see what Laurent had done, but his circumstances are a bit different from mine, and I've been doing a lot of what he suggests all along...
Old 01/05/2008, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- Thank you very much! I am happy about them for sure, the drive was totally worth it! hehe I have gotten a few people on that picture, it is just the reflection is all. ORA is the only place that has bread these fish, yep!

Reefmack -- I got 2 clowns its the reflection, I thought it added something so I kept that picture.

Rue -- My girlfriend doesn't care for them really, she likes the ones with the stripes. She wanted me to get the saddle back clowns. For some reason I just like these guys, I honestly have never been to anyones house and have seen them.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:15 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - very deceiving picture. I'll bet you posted that one just to confuse us! What got me was that I can't see the white spot except on one - it must be hidden in the reflection. Pretty sneaky

BTW - I'd like to see a new shot of the Ric garden - it looks like they're all covering that rock beautifully now!
Old 01/05/2008, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- hehehehe well the white spot is only on one side of his face, so the other side is what is reflecting off the glass. So you wouldn't see it because its on the other side.

I just put food into the tank the some of the rics closed up some from the food. So as soon as they open up again I will take a few more pics. They are starting to fill in nicely, really like the look of it!!
Old 01/05/2008, 06:30 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-guy - no rush on the Ric Pic! I didn't realize the white spot was only on one side - that really is a unique fish. Usually something like that appears symetrically - on both sides - like a mirror image (but not your mirror image!). You should call that one Rudolph, as in "Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Clowns".
Old 01/05/2008, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

well i really liked that frag rack so i took some stuff from around my room and improvised and i also got a couple new frags of acan and tri-color zoa's.

Old 01/05/2008, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

stephen -- Right on! I was waiting to see if someone jumped on that idea. Your tank is looking good!! Nice new additions, where did you pick those up at? Did you see the Austrian corals that Pets Inc. had? I want! $199 for a small frag though!

Reefmack -- Ask and you shall receive my friend! Its a rainy day here in Phoenix, so I am bored! I have the same camera you do by the way. Again I had just put some food in the tank so a few of them aren't as big as they were before I fed the tank. But I think you can get the idea, I counted again I believe there are 37 mushrooms on or around the rock.

Old 01/05/2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

ya i did see them they are way over priced! i have some frags of the tri-colors and freak-a-leak whammers if you are interested in some trades? have some other zoas but i need to find what they are!
Old 01/05/2008, 08:04 PM
Genuine reef addict

stephensturman - nice DIY! How did you attach the suction cups to the egg crate? I'd like to make one of those. The "shrimp frag" was nice - are you expecting young ones soon? The zoas look like the Eagle Eyes that I got as a 3 polyp bonus at my lfs - they've already grown to about a dozen now.

Y-DesygnGuy - thanks for the updated Ric pic - awesome. I think R. floridas are one of the prettiest corals available. I have got to find a place to put more in my tank! I noticed a 4th baby purple R. yuma tonight - my yuma mom is really getting prolific! I wish it was as pretty as a florida.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:32 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Nice pics!!! Luv the rics and the rack!

Speaking of new cameras...finally played with the new one...but only with the standard lens...haven't used my old macro yet: