Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/21/2007, 04:06 PM

Todd, I hope its not bleached because this color is awesome. You could be right and im not BTA expert. I will keep an eye on him. He has already moved. Sorry to hear about your dwarf.. keep trying until you find the right one.

Chad, LOL!!

Bax, you should see my pedicure. Hopefully my clown will see the BTA soon. Cant wait to finally see it interact with it.

Zoos, you are correct. It was special order.

mike, thanks!! The Yacht Master has a hefty price tag on it.. $7k starting and thats a deal. Im glad to see others have different hobbies too other than reefing.

MGB, Yes I am adding fish with no quarantine. I dont have a setup for this so I have no choice. And yes it does worry me. I think about it every day. They are from different sources like liveaquaria and LFS's.
Old 05/21/2007, 04:14 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Todd, I hope its not bleached because this color is awesome. You could be right and im not BTA expert. I will keep an eye on him. He has already moved. Sorry to hear about your dwarf.. keep trying until you find the right one.
Thanks about the dwarf. Now it is a toss up b/t trying another Keyhole or a Multicolored -- I like the keyhole, but someone else prefers the multi.

As for the BTA ( I am not an expert, but I've been keeping them for over 7 years now ) I am really thinking that it is. I had a RBTA, that would split often. I recently sold off all of my old rock, and in the process of doing that I noticed a whitish (with pink tips ) BTA, was great looking, but I knew it was bleached. I gave it to a fellow reefer and a month later it has already colored up. At for yours, I would try feeding it small pieces of meaty food -- silverside/krill/ etc. In time it will regain its zoax ( or how ever you spell it ), and will look great.
Old 05/21/2007, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Damn Edward, I didn't know you're into watches too.
I like the face size of your Tag, I'm all about 41mm +
Old 05/21/2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by naka
Damn Edward, I didn't know you're into watches too.
I like the face size of your Tag, I'm all about 41mm +
41.5 to be exact. The rule to the dial size is not having it go any bigger than your wrist. I looked at a lot of watches and this was the one i had chemistry with. I really love it.

How are your corals doing? I bet really good!!! Cant wait to see your tank again.
Old 05/21/2007, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

corals are doing great. I've been busy spending time w/ Noah, but it's definitely worth it. I really need to come by and see your tank soon.
Old 05/22/2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by naka
corals are doing great. I've been busy spending time w/ Noah, but it's definitely worth it. I really need to come by and see your tank soon.
You should come by this weekend if you want. Im still waiting for the brown stag you donated to color up. lol. it hasnt changed color.. but the other corals are and starting to do good.
Old 05/22/2007, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

You can blame Tommy for that a. abrotanoides I'll see you this Saturday afternoon.
Old 05/22/2007, 11:20 AM
Did I do that?

Your tank is absolutely awe inspiring! This is way over the top. Congratulations.
Old 05/22/2007, 07:16 PM

naka, see you then. I will be available about 1 and then anytime in the evening. Just call me and we will coordinate a time.

mr9iron, thank you very much. When it matures, it will look even better. Now I just have to be patient.
Old 05/22/2007, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

I find being patient is one of the hardest things to do in this hobby.
Old 05/22/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

I agree with mcrist, I am having a very hard time being patient now that my tank is all set up and full of stuff. I just have to wait for it all to grow big now. It is very hard to do without wanting to constantly go to stores and buy more corals and stuff
Old 05/23/2007, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

need a picture fix

Quote:
naka, see you then. I will be available about 1 and then anytime in the evening. Just call me and we will coordinate a time.

mr9iron, thank you very much. When it matures, it will look even better. Now I just have to be patient.
Old 05/25/2007, 10:35 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Quote:
Another initiation.. this time its a Majestic Angel - Pomacanthus Navarchus. Its suppose to be the most safest out of the Pomacanthus family. The color of this fish is a great addition for diversity. No issues with any of the other angels. Everyone is happy.

Gday Edward,

Nice choice of fish mate! Havn't had any trouble with mine either, leaves all the stony corals alone!
Josh

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 05/25/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

First of all, your tank looks very nice.

I, too, tried foregoing QT several times, on some of my tanks, until I eventually developed the patience to QT all newcomers. Being impatient unfortunately caused the untimely demise of more than a couple beautiful specimens.

Unfortunately, though, it looks like it'll be survival of the fittest in your tank, as well. W/O QT you'll eventually experience some problems with the introduction of a pest, be it bacterial, viral or parasitic. It's just a matter of time, especially if you continue to add new, unquarantined specimens.

Last edited by speckled trout; 05/25/2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05/25/2007, 11:21 AM
Resident physicist.

Btw how is the glass attached to the PVC bottom? Is there a groove cut into the pvc that the glass sits in?
Old 05/25/2007, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

2 hours, 45 minutes of my life spent reliving the whole journey. Simply amazing invincible.
Old 05/25/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Speckled trust me in sayin Ed knows his stuff he is one of the go to guys on this site when people have questions incase you didnt know him
Old 05/26/2007, 06:00 AM

Update on Angels:
All are doing well. I've noticed the flagfin likes to pick at one of my LPS quite a bit. It's a new fragged coral and I have been trying to hide it from the Flagfin as much as possible but he kept finding it. I finally found a spot way up high close to the water surface and its been ok since. He's also found my pink chalice which is the coral he was nipping on when I first introduced it. He hasnt touched it since. If these guys start getting hungry, they start getting curious. I feed twice a day minimum. The Flagfin is the only one who like Formula 2 flakes. All others like the Spectrum pellets. I feed live brine, mysis, zooplankton, pellets, Angelfood mix, etc. A good variety daily. I crank the skimmer to the highest possible setting because of this. The Bellus is the quickest and swims by quick before the other Angels can get to the food... he swims by so quick that the other Angel has its mouth open ready to eat and zoooooomm.. the Bellus grabs it by fast. LOL. Im also trying my hardest to stay away from purchasing a Tang. I want this to be a true all Angel tank. Something different and a bit more challenging. What I have learned through this process is to pick out your Angels first before your corals. Most people will introduce all corals first and then decide to add Angels taking a huge risk on many corals and not just one when doing in the reverse order. Having test corals has helped me feel more confident in my next coral purchase on what I can and cant buy. OH and suprisingly, no quarreling of any Angels to this day.

Update on Corals:
All corals have shown great signs of growth and coloring. My favorite are those SPS that are getting shined on by the spotlight which is getting that color I was hoping for from the side. It's still very soon and I dotn want to make any concrete conclusions just yet, but it seems to make a difference. If the coral is being penetrated by light at any angle, then this is where the SPS will color and grow towards. I've already had some frags that fishcraze gave me for testing that he had as brownouts that are showing its true color now. Im excited because he asked me to try and get it to color because he couldnt. I also like going to the LFS and buying the hidden treasures that people do not see.. the brown outs! Those are my challenges. To get them to color up.

Update on Lighting:
I have not changed the lighting intensity and have stayed with keeping 2x250 on instead of all 3. It is the perfect combination in my eyes. The Giesemann Spectra only comes on for 4 hrs of the day. My main source of light comes from the T5's and Spotlight at 9 hrs a day. This will be changed a bit later though as I want the spotlight to only come on before the main core lights (Spectra) and after. I honeslty love the look without the main core lights on and just the spotlight and T5's. You would have to see it in person to understand.

mcrist and hat... I understand 100%. Like the both of you, its hard going to an LFS and not leaving with something to feed your addiction. In my last tank, I purchased a lot very fast.. I always had a coral to add and the tank filled up quick. After 3 yrs.. I felt I had all the corals I ever wanted. There was not much to conquer after that. With this tank, im trying to take it very slow and enjoy it as long as possible. As we all know, the more we add now.. the more we have to get rid of in 3-4 yrs because they will grow into each other and you end up keeping a couple big corals.

jnb, let me get a pic for you today!

Josh, mine hasnt either. He likes to hide a lot though.

speclked, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I plan to at least do some freshwater dips soon. It's scary, but I dont want to infect the entire tank if something is out there that I cant see and may destroy the angel population.

sfsu, im not sure hows its setup. You can contact Jaime at AE. Im sure they can help you.

Aimforever, I really appreciate the positive comments. Maybe I will have to reread it myself.

Tanya, thanks for looking out for me and your support.

Last edited by invincible569; 05/26/2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05/26/2007, 11:18 AM

I think you are doing an excellent job building this system and I have forwarded pics to my buddies that are currently in the design stage. I really like your commentary regarding the different lighting schemes you are working with. Something you mentioned before about the more "natural" lighting has had me thinking about it ever since.

I know there were a lot of people who disagreed with the way I decided to light my tank, but I have been extremely happy with it in terms of the look and the coral growth and coloration. This is my first SW tank and to have nicely colored growing coral colonies is a victory in and of itself. My lighting planning centered around primarily cost reduction, simplicity, and a "deep sea" look and that is why I went with the 1000W 20K Ushio SE lamps. When viewing my tank in person, although it is very bright, it also gives the impression of being deeper in a reef rather than near the surface. What I lose though is the warm light of the reef top nearer to the surface and based on your work and discussions herein, I am looking into trying to spot light the upper reef.

One issue to contend with is that my left and right end lamps are on movers, but I think this may not affect the spot lighting. So far, corals have really responded well to the high powered 20K lamps, and I belive that having the light move causes a more natural growth pattern, and when viewing the tank, you can easily imagine a cloud passing overhead.

I really like your stylized reef keeping approach and am interested in your opnion regarding adding spots in my particular situation. I guess the main questions are, with such intense 20K lighting, do you think a spot will make a difference, and what kind of approach would you take to adding spot lighting to the upper reef? And of course the other concern is over-lighting as I have found out I really don't do well with ricordia and most LPS, while SPS seem to prosper quite well.

Your build has me following closely for multiple reasons and I, without sounding too "kiss-butt", have to say that yours is indeed one of my favorite tanks on RC for the artistry of the install, lighting scheme, and in-your-face stocking plan. I am often tempted to purchase a fish that I know too well will probably cause problems, and yet here you are stocking a reef with angels! I guess it's a matter of philosophy and mine centers on a vast coral reef wherein the fish are extras, and you have chosen to showcase beautiful fish and match corals to them. Very interesting indeed.
Old 05/26/2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
need a picture fix
Here you go... just taken 5 mins ago. Giesemann MH's off.

Old 05/26/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

I love when you post pics!
The tank is looking sweet!

Love the angle shots.
Old 05/27/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fisheebill
I love when you post pics!
The tank is looking sweet!

Love the angle shots.
Especially when the tank is amazing as this one. Well done on such an amazing set up.

Cheers

Chris
Old 05/27/2007, 10:21 PM

Bill, thank you so much

Chris, I really appreciate the comments.

jnarowe, great post! I love reading long posts. It lets me understand what the reader is really thinking Spotlighting the top would be great. How tall is your tank? If your aquascape is on a wall, then you can definitely aim at the top corals. I like that idea very much. A spot should make a difference especially if you are giving the coral another wavelength of light to feed off. Think of it this way.. a human can tan right? Well.. we have different bulbs in the tanning beds. Some get you bronzed and some get you a more of a orange look. Different Kelvin bulbs for different color outcomes. Also, intensity is another factor. The more intense, the more deep the color gets. To much intensity causes darkening. A fine balance is needed. Less intensity equals lighter corals especially softies. A human cells darkens which is just dead cells protecting whats underneath. You can say the same for a coral evolving it to the color you desire.
Old 05/27/2007, 10:39 PM

Well I am very interested in your spotlighting process. Since I have 20K lamps, it seems to me that additional lighting in other color temps. makes sense for particular corals.

My tank is 35" deep and the area I am considering spotlighting would be along a reef top that is about 18" below the water surface and home to acropora.
Old 05/28/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

I'm looking at all these tanks shots and don't seem to see many fish? What happened to all the other angelfish you got at the begining of this thread? I.E. the scribbled, personifer, singapore, and the multicolor. Oh and the achilles tang as well.

Last edited by Kennyboy1984; 05/28/2007 at 01:01 AM.