Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/10/2007, 10:59 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Well I finally got word that my next surprise will be coming in this Thursday. It finally made it in from Europe. Its nothing big, but will help my tank water temperatures while keeping the nice sleek look. I've never seen one in person or anyone with it, so again Im taking that gamble and hoping it looks good on my tank.
Okay, it is Thursday and I just read this whole thing in one sitting, I demand the surprise.

Wow, is all I can say.
Old 05/11/2007, 04:59 AM

Milleme, the rock out of the water is now inside the tank and is a stretched out island in the middle. Thanks for the compliment!

Todd, I didnt get my surprise as promised. Im waiting to hear back from the vendor to see what happened as they said Thursday.
Old 05/11/2007, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

Ed,

Yeah, send those pictures man. Every ounce of inspiration helps.

I'll take some photos this weekend and post them up. Hopefully the Angels are still there.
Old 05/11/2007, 09:11 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Milleme, the rock out of the water is now inside the tank and is a stretched out island in the middle. Thanks for the compliment!

Todd, I didnt get my surprise as promised. Im waiting to hear back from the vendor to see what happened as they said Thursday.
Hmm, since I love your tank so, I will let it slide. Just wish I had seen your rock work before I redid my 75, really like the openness of yours.
Old 05/11/2007, 09:32 AM
Brace yourself!

Just FYI we had a zero edge aquarium go around our club - all of the owners had serious issues with evap and maintaining temperature. No one held on to that system for more than a few months.
Old 05/11/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Hi Ed. Where did you get the PAR36 Iwasaki 150 20,000K bulb? I checked on most domestic aquarium websites and it looks like they only carry the 20,000k's in 70w versions.
Old 05/11/2007, 06:33 PM

Well.. it's here. The Giesemann Multifan - 5 fans.

I ran into a problem.. this product is suppose to fit 3/4" glass. Well the problem with my glass is that its not 3/4", its 19mm which is a bit thicker. I had to widen the handles a bit without any problems. The only thing I dislike about them, is that they are not as powerful as I thought. I guess I am used to server fans over my old tank.

Old 05/11/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

How much were they ?
Old 05/11/2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tanya72806
How much were they ?
$230.

Old 05/11/2007, 06:55 PM

sometimes you have to sacrifice cash and performance to look good.
Old 05/11/2007, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Very loud?
Old 05/11/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

I love the rich colors of your tank. Spectacular!
Old 05/11/2007, 10:11 PM
clownfish fan

how is it that halides wash out everybodys t5s exept yours? is it a trick with the photography?

or could be the design of the fixture?

either way its spectacular, and i show everybody your pics. when they say my tank is nice i say "no way, this is a nice tank" and pull up this thread
Old 05/11/2007, 10:15 PM
Brace yourself!

Are you running a tranformer for the lights and fans??
Old 05/11/2007, 10:24 PM

where did you get the fans? That unit would be perfect for my snail grow-out tank.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:44 PM
AEFW Survivor

Quote:
Well.. it's here. The Giesemann Multifan - 5 fans.

I ran into a problem.. this product is suppose to fit 3/4" glass. Well the problem with my glass is that its not 3/4", its 19mm which is a bit thicker. I had to widen the handles a bit without any problems. The only thing I dislike about them, is that they are not as powerful as I thought. I guess I am used to server fans over my old tank.

How have these affected your temperature?
Old 05/12/2007, 04:40 AM

Treg, I cant hear it at all.

Cantonesefish, just wait until I get some corals in there.

GSM, the reason its not washed out is because I only have the left and right MH's on. The middle one is off. If I did turn on the middle MH, you could barely see the T5's. Therefore, it gives that back rock the blue deepwater look. Thanks for showing everyone the thread.

RM, if you look at the last pic, it has its own transformer in the pic that you just plug into the wall.

jnarowe, they should be available through your Giesemann dealers like PA. You have to remember, I am getting all of this at special requests and it may take a bit longer to get here to the states. But you know me.. im always on the lookout for the latest and greatest. Im not as good as moonpod, but I like to get some new toys too.

SERVO, I dotn have any results yet. I just put them on last night. They look nice, but not too thrilled with the strength (CFM). My goal was to get 2 total for the other side, but now Im not sure if I want to spend that extra cash if Im not so thrilled. Im pretty sure that the design and CFM rating also has to do with people complaining about the noise so they kept it low. Another deciding factor for these fans was the black color. All of my tank is black to give it that stealth look.
Old 05/12/2007, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

Hi invincible,

Initially, I was contemplating about getting a unit of the multi-fan. Perhaps the 7 fans model. But was worry that the CFM of the overall wasn't high enough than a own DIY unit.

Hence, I DIY a unit using Papst fan. They are from Germany too.
Mine is a DC model outputing 170 plus CFM per fan running in 12VDC.
They are dead silent. It has been able to offset some tempertature from my MH.
I am running a braceless too.

I did not order one was because the performance might be lower than a DIY unit of my own. However, I must admit. They are damm sexy fan
Old 05/12/2007, 09:10 PM

Ray, I think we were at the same crossroads, but instead I went with the multifan. If I had a choice, I wish they would make a fan like yours that is a lot stronger and you could point it like you have yours. My fans on my previous tank were 220 CFM. It was awesome. I dont even know what these are. Do you have a Giesemann Infiniti?
Old 05/13/2007, 07:20 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Invincible, do you have a link for those 220CFM fans? Were they super loud? I'm going to just build my own sleek looking housing and want to put some high volume fans in it. Starting to get a little warm and want to avoid the chiller Your tank is really starting to take shape, are your water parameters starting to stabilize yet?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 05/13/2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy7200
Invincible, do you have a link for those 220CFM fans? Were they super loud? I'm going to just build my own sleek looking housing and want to put some high volume fans in it. Starting to get a little warm and want to avoid the chiller Your tank is really starting to take shape, are your water parameters starting to stabilize yet?
They are super loud. If you have ever heard a server on, thats how loud it is. I dotn mind the noise though. Its soothing Well, i was just downstairs to look at the brand and now I forgot. lol. ok here it is.. Circuit-Test Tubeaxial Fan. It's rated at 28w, ball bearings. It's so strong I cant put my head in front of it without having to close my eyes. I still use these fans to circulate the chiller utlity room and the garage where the sump is.

Other than that, the water parameters have been very stable now. Alk has not fluctuated for a while now and has stayed at 11. I do water changes every 2 wks. All corals and fish are doing well too. Just got some frags and a pair of clowns from a local friend, Kevin. My Flagfin really liked to nip at the pink chalice. He wouldnt leave it alone. I moved it very high and he hasnt seen it since.
Old 05/13/2007, 09:12 AM

dandy, here it is.. this is exactly what they are.. wow, i didnt know they were that loud.. 60db's!! LOL.

What I noticed though over my last tank is that I had two of these blowing over the tank. I sometimes only used one because it evaporated quicker. But when I had both on, the chiller wouldnt come on as much. The more air, the better.. but also you increase evaporation.

http://www.circuittest.com/English/C...11515038HB.asp

Old 05/13/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Hi Invis,

The MH I'm using is a AquaMedic OceanLight150+.
It a good set of MH. Enough for my application.

About the 220CFM fan. I think the noise in dB it produce is too loud to be used in a living room. Before getting these fans, I have study the entire catalog from Papst. And realised that there is no way to increase the CFM and at the same time have a low noise output. The CFM and noise are linear.

Hence, the one I am using should be the quietest with the highest CFM output available.
I think mine is 45dB with a CFM output of 175.

The output of each Giesemann should be around 110 CFM the most.
I try to contact the Giesemann technician the other time by calling Germany.
They were not very sure either as the fan they use were from a 3rd party.
Perhaps I didnt get the right person. But, I am sure they cannot be more than 110 CFM.

When I have time, I will perhaps build 5 or 7 unit of them together like what Giesemann did. But the evaporation rate would be crazy.
Old 05/13/2007, 09:51 AM

175 CFM is plenty. The 220 I have is a little too strong, but I purchased them as trial and error years ago. I think you have the perfect fan choice. Im not too sure if the Giesemann CFM is even that strong.. I could be wrong. It sure doesnt feel that strong. in other words, its not half the speed of what the 220's are. If you plan to build a multifan, try 3. thats plenty. Giesemann has a 3 version too.
Old 05/13/2007, 11:02 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_archer2003
Before getting these fans, I have study the entire catalog from Papst. And realised that there is no way to increase the CFM and at the same time have a low noise output. The CFM and noise are linear.
Fan size is also a variable impacting the sound quality.