Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/08/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Thanks everyone!

Marshall, all your corals are doing well. No problems what so ever. Those Reefermadness corals you referred me are starting to make me drool once again for SPS. I've been holding back! I bought some more test SPS locally to see how they do before I start going after the prized colonies. Remember.. Im looking for those nice stags. I can get a hold of a purple yongei.. but looking for a blue one. That's the coral Im after in the SPS arena.

Chad, the secret to the snails is not the species, but the time it took to color them. The secret is out! You cant say that about a fish or a coral, but you sure can with a snail shell.

GSM, its just a hermit that found his new home in a human painted shell. The trick is to find some nice dull shells. Smooth them out, then paint. Once painted, leave them upside down in your tank for a hermit to pick up.
What kind of paint did you use? This sounds like a good way to get the girlfriend involved in the tank...
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 05/08/2007, 04:11 PM

That's just plain sneaky dude...Love it!!
Old 05/08/2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baros
Ed, I just love your planning and attention to detail, you've done a great job so far.
You've got my vote for 'Aquascape of the month'

What's the height of the water level in your tank?

I remember Mr Hiroyuki's(Rainbow Lagoon)is a favourite of yours, another amazing Japanese tank!

Baros, forgot to mention that I do have an updated pic of his tank. You can see the difference in quality of the corals after a year. You can see he has a couple of Angels too.

Old 05/08/2007, 09:23 PM

Actually, those arent my snails. I was just showing how the Japanese transformed a regular snail into a beautiful one. Here's what I mean...

Pick your shells

Decorate them, then you place them upside down so a crab can get into it.
Old 05/08/2007, 09:42 PM

Well I finally got word that my next surprise will be coming in this Thursday. It finally made it in from Europe. Its nothing big, but will help my tank water temperatures while keeping the nice sleek look. I've never seen one in person or anyone with it, so again Im taking that gamble and hoping it looks good on my tank.

jasonanatal, im very sure you can have a tank like this in your lifetime. sometimes you have to purchase things piece by piece and then once you add water, you can finally start running things.

asmodeaus, i have plenty of flow for the corals I keep. A few pages back it shows the top of the water line and how there is circulation throughout the tank. There are no dead spots.
Old 05/08/2007, 09:51 PM

naka.. this one is for you.. Splash Serena..

Old 05/09/2007, 05:18 AM
Premium Member

ooh, family vacation time!
Old 05/09/2007, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

Ed, Thanks for the updated pic of the 'Rainbow Lagoon', glad to see it's still up and running.

Did you ever look into using only spotlights as your core lights, or was it never an option?
Old 05/09/2007, 05:52 AM

Baros,

yes, I still plan to. It makes a difference in the angle it shines on the SPS corals. You can see the entire front of the coral (facing me) light up which hopefully in a couple of months, it will get rich in color. I've been playing around with the spotlight to get the best angle and best shot into the tank without having to take the look away from the entire tank. I may not use the stem on the spotlights anymore since being this far away (spotlight to tank) is still sufficient. For example:

Here is a pic with all lights on including spotlight.

And then just actinics and one spotlight which will be on during the pre Giesemann core lights and after when its about to shut off.

Old 05/09/2007, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Awsome pics as always! thanks for sharing!

Would be nice to know what kind of paint is used on the shells.. That is a fantastic idea if its for real.

If Pacman had effected us as kids, then we'd all be running around in a dark room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music
Old 05/09/2007, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

You think he has enough lights?

Hey Edward, I'm loving the actinics and just the spotlight picture.
Old 05/09/2007, 07:25 AM

addo, im not really sure. I do know that painting shells is a common practice today in the U.S. I have seen them at some boutiques and stores. They sell them painted with live animals and you feed them. The only difference is that its not in water and Im sure the paint they used is not reef safe.

naka.. I think he can fit one more. Thanks for the compliment. I need to come by and see your tank again. Your latest pictures on your thread made my salivate.
Old 05/09/2007, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I love this picture…your making me drool.

Watching your thread makes me realize how much more work I need to do to my tank.

Can you tank a full tank shot of the front of the tank for us?
Old 05/09/2007, 08:48 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

The lighting is beautiful, really makes for a stunning looking display.
Old 05/09/2007, 09:01 AM

Bax, thank you. I plan to add another spotlight hopefully this weekend and see how it looks then. I broke the fixture recently so I need to order another.

mcrist, is this what you are asking for? Just so you know.. when you say you need more work.. honeslty its how much less you can do to it. dont over do it. A lot of people over do it and it looks cluttered. I have always kept my tanks clean and pristine and that makes a world of a difference.

Old 05/09/2007, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Absolutely stunning…

I agree that a cluttered tank really takes away from the total appearance. My last tank was just a solid rock wall and I never cared for it. I believe I did much better in my current tank but after seeing your tank I may need to rethink my setup.
Old 05/09/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

I second that...absolutely beautiful!!
Old 05/09/2007, 10:44 AM
clownfish fan

i love your photos edward, what an amazing tank.
Old 05/09/2007, 10:51 AM
Brace yourself!

Beautiful Edward! You make me want to tear more rock out of my system.
Old 05/09/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Absolutely amazing. I'm always psyched to see the new things you are doing with this tank. One of the best new tank setups I've seen.

BTW, Do you know what kind of paint they use for the snail shells?
Old 05/09/2007, 01:52 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

Ed,

Great pics as always...tank looks incredible. As for LR usage, is it still the norm to follow 1 pound per gallon? The old approach was to use as many LR to filter our reeftank...what are your thoughts regarding on this subject?
Thanks in advance.
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 05/09/2007, 04:01 PM

mcrist, just remember one thing... if you plan to fill your tank with corals, your rocks wont be seen anymore. Whats important is to give the corals room for growth. In other words, try and get some low profile rocks for your stag area... or if you plan to keep tables.. then an aquascape like mine would be perfect so they can grow out towards you.

fishresponse, thank you.

GSM, thanks again!

ReeferMonkey, think open.

Lnell, I sure dont. I wish I did. Im sure you can find something out there? If you do, let us know.

Hawaiian, LR is definitely safe haven for beneficial bacteria colonization especially if you want to keep your tank pristine from cleaning off the bacteria from the windows & sump. As long as you have a good amount of live rock, you will be ok. This rock provides the biochemical changes that need to be made. Now, rules are rules and Im one of those that loves to break rules and see how far I can go. Even with my first reef tank, I wanted an aquascape that would replicate a natural reef. A fruit stand aquascape doesnt show this. Another word of advice is to purchase live rock that comes straight from the ocean. This is as natural as you can get and you dont have to worry about rock that will never stabilize your tank. Its a proven method.
Old 05/10/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Hi Ed,

Where can I find more information on those Japanese Butterfly Reef Tanks?

I've had a look at the ZeroEdgeAquariums. It's pretty cool what they're doing. I won't be buying one, but I am interested in replicating it. Maybe for a small Clam dominated Tank with Porites.
When I was in Thailand, that was my favorite stuff to look at while snorkeling - hundreds of Giant Clams imbedded in Porite Rocks.

I'm interested in buying a Poma Angel like yours. My LFS has two at the moment, dwarf angel size. Any tips on buying. They've been there for 2 weeks now and they're eating frozen and flake food. I've always had angels that aren't interested in my food and prefer my corals.
Old 05/10/2007, 07:03 PM

Tritonian, those Zeroedgeaquariums are beautiful! I would love to have one. I like the long rectangular one.

I dotn have any info on the japanese butterflies, but I do have more pics if interested.

As for the Poma, make sure it eats and you should be ok. I would love to have one again. They have that velvet look. The only way you will succeed in keeping Angels is if you take that risk. You may want to talk to your LFS and ask them if its ok to bring back if he start eating your corals. Take a pic and let me see that Poma.
Old 05/10/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Invincible, what happened to the rock jutting out of the water? BTW your aqurium is gnarley, but you dont need me to tell you that!