Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 12/31/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Not sure if this helps - I breed seahorses and when I am introducing new foods I do it in combination ... example I feed the brine and add a few cyclopeeze as well, as they begin eating it I gradullay add more cyclopeeze and reduce the brine, once they take to it it usually goes very quickly. When I start changing to mysids I do the same in combination.

With horses they just did not seem to recognize the frozen as a food item independently either. Starving did not help a bit.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

had a bit of a scare tonight.

Up to now i've been changing water for the baby bangaii's with water from my reeftank, but now i want to just use new water. Anyway, with my reeftank I usually dont bother matching the temperature because its a mid size tank (72 gallon) and adding 10 gallons of colder water doesnt really change the temp that much and doesnt seem to cause problems. So anyway, i mindlessly dumped about 3 gallons of water into the bangaii tank at about 10 degrees lower than the tank and BANG all the bangaii's were on there sides gasping!!! It was a panicky 10 minutes before they started to recover. Thankfully they all seem to be ok and didnt die from shock! I wont do that one again!

PS my male is pregnant again ...so soon i'll have somewhere around 90 bangaii cardinals!!!! ahhhh!
Old 01/05/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

so here's another shot. Taken today at i believe 41 days. They're getting close to an inch tall. Adult coloration is really comming in now. They have very full bellies in the shot b/c they just ate...so far they are trying the frozen but just keep spitting it out...i'll keep trying.

Old 01/05/2008, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Rock on, man! Excellent thread. Hopefully you can keep spittin' them out (pardon the pun)!
Old 01/05/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I am in complete awe ... this is great!
Old 01/05/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys. Hey I'm going to register myself as a business so i can sell these things legally. Anyway I'm having trouble comming up with a name for my company. The best I've come up with (that isnt taken in Ontario) is Fish Factory. I wanted Northern Aquaculture or Canaqua but they're taken... so ...Anyone got some ideas? Right now im just doing bangaii's but i want to expand to rare clownfishes soon.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

DUDE this is an incredible thread! you rock, weve had our bangaii for about 2 months now. got them from a buddy he sells coral, fish as a whole seller, he also has stated he will buy as many as we can produce, I'm in AWE! this has given me such a boost to do this right, ya'll are such a wealth of info and insight, thank you thank you..

much luck with the name, and more with your babies
Old 01/06/2008, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Thats amazing. Do you still feed them live brine shrimp or do they eat other things at this age?

I'm thinking of getting Bangaii Cardinals and was wondering if theres any way to tell if they are male or female or if there is a pair. If I got three, would two (given that they are opposite genders) mate and have babies? How long do they hold the eggs for in their mouths? And how many gallons is the baby Bangaii tank? It looks like an awesome thing to do, sorry if I'm asking so many questions, I would like to raise them myself.

Anyway, good luck with everything.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

thanks man, to answer the q's

ok...

telling apart the sexes is really hard. best to buy a bunch and pic out the pairs as they form, IMO.

eggs/babies are held approx 25 days

fry tanks are 10 gallons w/a sponge filter, heater, and a fake urchin in each

unfortunately they are all still on live bbs but they are starting to try the frozen.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

boo...i just had my first casualties

i was trying to finish setting up my breeding system in the basement and i had to dismantle 3 tanks that were on the racks in order to move the racks that the tanks sit on...anyway i left it too long, the temperature went down 7 degrees and i lost 5 of my 10 day olders....frack...well, it had to happen sometime.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

not to sound cynical, but the two mishaps you've mentioned thus far (the temp drop, and failure to match temps during a water addition/change), could have been much worse. I know if it were me, the temp drop and the water temp incidents would have wiped out 100% of my stock. . LOL

The good part here is that you're learning from mistakes, and the mistakes didn't cost you everything.

So will you ever let the temp drop 7 degrees again? Will you ever put water in a tank that doesn't match the temp of the tank?

I didn't think so. . .
Old 01/06/2008, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

no i absolutely have learned a few lessons in the past few days. I'm sure there will be more lessons to follow
Old 01/07/2008, 12:13 PM
Moved On

acropora1981,
Have any of the offsprings paired up yet?? Are you still feeding them on LBS or are the fully eating frozens now??

I'm in Ontario too and would love to get my hands on a paired up couple. Let me know how much your asking for them.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

MoonTang,

It will be quite sometime before they pair up...like 5-7 more months im afraid
Old 01/07/2008, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

oh, moontang, if you email me at acropora1981@hotmail.com i can definately find another pair for you...
Old 01/07/2008, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
Might want the temperarily break the happy couple up so that the male can get a few good meals and regain some reserves after not eating for so long.
Sperating the male for a month between spawnings helps keep him healthy and helps prevent him eating the eggs or aborting the carry before the babies are ready...
modded CSS220 Skimmer
165 lb LR / 3/4" full Plenum / 5" DSB
Old 01/09/2008, 05:11 PM
Moved On

i sent a email to you already
Old 01/09/2008, 05:33 PM
RC Mod

MoonTang, you have two private messages in your inbox.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Just got home from 3 days in Minnesota to find a pregnant male (hehehe that so fun to say) and have a bunch of questions...

I have a 55 gallon tank cutting board bottom, occupants include the two bengais and one super super shy fire fish (ie never comes out, ever since his buddy jumped it hasn't been the same ) a cleaner shrimp, an albino rock boring short spined urchin that never leaves a cave and a giant black serpent star (that I could banish to the sump)

If I don't seperate the male and female from the fry what are the chances that any of the babies live?

Will the male bengai sacrifice himself to carry eggs? He will eat the eggs if he is starving right? Cause I don't really feed the tank that frequently, its already been probably almost a week since I fed last, and if hes not gonna eat until the fry leave his mouth, he wouldn't have eaten for about a month...This is his first litter of pups so Im guessing he'll be okay this is what he's been living his whole life for so he should have some energy reserves.

I found this awesome site
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Algae-Pastes-c6.html
any recommendations on what type of phyto i should enrich the brine shrimp with?

We have this floating breeder plastic cube
http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=710224
the holes in the breeder aren't even a millimeter wide so im assuming fry couldn't escape it(??). Should I seperate the male and put him in here before he releases? This would leave him in super close quarters when they do escape his mouth. Or leave the father in the main tank and make a skewer urchin and somehow get the fry into the box later after he releases? Is the box big enough to rear the fry in, in the tank (its 2.5in x 5in x 3in)
It also has a divider could I keep the male in one side and the babies in the other?

Okay thats all I got for now,
I think the male is on day three right now...
so how many days do I have to figure this out before the fry are released??? about 15 days or so?

You guys should try breeding firefish, its possible if you can keep them from jumping, they are the sweetist fish, visually and tempermentally

Last edited by Torpus; 01/10/2008 at 01:21 AM.