Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

AWT Results - consistency questions

As seen from other posts I have been using the AWT service.

Without going into my reasons I really want this service to work. I have an email into them again on this as well and hopefully I will get an answer that allows me to move forward.

For all intents and purposes I am only interested/focused in on the following measurements:
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate - "Health/Stress"
Phosphate, Silica - "Algae Control"
Alk, Calcium, Magnesium - "Reef/pH Support"

I have so far sent in 3 samples.

Sample #1: Display tank water taken Sunday evening 11/4
Sample #2: Fresh batch of newly mixed to 35 salinity of RC that sat for 36-48 hours taken 11/11
Sample #3: Display tank water taken Sunday evening 11/11
(between 11/4 and 11/11 no water changes or additives were made, the only "change" was that on 11/4 I replaced my phosphate media - which was rowaphos - to new batch of phosar HC)

AWT Results:
(first the display tank results)

Sample #1
Ammonia (NH3-4) 0.004 Good
Nitrite (NO2) 0.004 Good
Nitrate (NO3) 0.5 Good

Phosphate (PO4) 0.14 Good - this one was higher than what I had been seeing in Merck tests
Silica (SiO2-3) 3.8 High

Potassium (K) 373 Good
Calcium (Ca) 382 Good - this one was lower than what I had been seeing in API etc. tests
Boron (B) 2.1 Low
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.1 Good
Strontium (Sr) 7.8 Good
Magnesium (Mg) 1311 Good
Iodine (IŻ) 0.02 Low
Copper (Cu++) 0.02 Good
Alkalinity (meq/L) 2.02 Low

Sample #3
Ammonia (NH3-4) 0.003 Good
Nitrite (NO2) 0.004 Good
Nitrate (NO3) 0.4 Good

Phosphate (PO4) 0.01 Good
Silica (SiO2-3) 0.7 High

Potassium (K) 368 Good
Calcium (Ca) 493 High
Boron (B) 4.5 Good
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.2 High
Strontium (Sr) 7.2 Good
Magnesium (Mg) 1181 Good
Iodine (IŻ) 0.03 Good
Copper (Cu++) 0.02 Good
Alkalinity (meq/L) 2.01 Low

So as you can see the Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrate tests were consistent with each other and what I had been testing so I am happy with that.

The Phosphate and Silica tests went *way* down in one week. So either there was a change in their testing (which they say they are working on but haven't given details) or Phosar HC really did a great job (and I did put a good amount in the reactor and heard locally very good things about it - so it is possible). Thoughts?

For Alk, Mag, and Ca.
Alk stayed consistent and where I had been measuring so that seems fine. (as a side note I am working on bringing this up as I am just now adding frags to the tank and need to bring this up a bit)
Mag went down from 1311 to 1181 (loss of 130 in a week) and I had been measuring ~1240-1280 in my tests prior to 11/4 so not too worried here.
Ca however went from 382 (which when I asked they stood behind) to 493 in a week with no additives/water changes. I have to believe they changed their test procedures on this one. 493 is closer to where I had been measuring with different test kits (API, Seachem, Salifert) in the 440-500 range so I am thinking they "fixed something" here. (see sample #2 for another eason I feel the second number is more correct) - thoughts?

Sample #2 (fresh made RC salt at 35 after sitting for a 36-48 hours - just as I would do before a water change) this was tested on the same day as Sample #3

results:
Ammonia (NH3-4) 0.002 Good
Nitrite (NO2) 0.005 Good
Nitrate (NO3) 0.4 Good
Phosphate (PO4) 0.01 Good
Silica (SiO2-3) 1.5 High
Potassium (K) 308 Low
Calcium (Ca) 410 Good
Boron (B) 4.0 Good
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.1 Good
Strontium (Sr) 8.5 Good
Magnesium (Mg) 1173 Good
Iodine (IŻ) 0.03 Good
Copper (Cu++) 0.03 Good
Alkalinity (meq/L) 4.04 Good

From my past tests and research this "feels" about right where s=35 RC salt should come in which makes me feel good about the new measurements other than Mag seemed a little low (like in my display sample). The one interesting thing to note is the 1.5 for Silica which is higher than display tank. This could be an indication I am getting Silica out of my RODI or that there tests are still a little off here. (Note if you see the Am/Nitrite/Nitrate numbers and think they should be zero my two thoughts are that one they are pretty low and two the short version of how I do water changes is take a 20 G tank that was "inline" with my system, take it offline, empty, wipe clean - which I skipped that day, fill with premade RODI water, mix in salt, sit, etc. then put back in line and it could be that not wiping left crud on bottom/sides that contributed Am/trite/trate/phosphate/silica to this 'new' water.

So that is my AWT story, I wanted to include it for reference when looking at AWT and to gather anyone's thoughts. I think for now I will keep using them and keep measuring my Ca/Alk/Mag until I feel confident in their approach and not worry about Silica/Phos etc. until someone declares them way off or I see problems.

Thanks.
Old 11/19/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

I think the problem quite clearly here is that you need to switch to using AB Reef Salt.