Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2007, 11:25 PM
Hola

Any Audioholics in the group?

I am looking at revamping my surround sound but I am finding it hard to wade through all the options when it comes to the high end stuff. I do not have a dilema as to the features I want with an av/receiver (hdmi, all the latest audio codecs/formats, multi zone) but I am having a tough time as it appears that when you reach the high end stuff its pretty much what the guy at the local store sells and he can make more profit out of it......

Currently have a MckIntosh amp that is getting a bit old (17 years, 6 channel amp) and a citation preamp. Looking at either getting the mckintosh preamp (but its prohibitebly expensive and not in love with its current featureset) nad and arcam. Any of you guys can point me in a worthwile when it comes to this range?
Old 10/13/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

it's been a while, but from what i can remember, NAD and McIntosh are two very good companies. I used to have a Cambridge Audio system that I was pretty happy with right up till the point when my amp started blowing fuses for no apparent reason. from that point on i have had my Yamaha. I need better speakers, but it's a pretty nice unit.
Old 10/13/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

here's a decent place to start looking at what is available nowadays,
http://www.stereophile.com/
Old 10/14/2007, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

Well i dont know much about high end, but i do consider myself somewhat of an audiophile. I own a Harmon Kardon 445 avr, it has everything i need and then some..... It is a high current amp and it has a ton of outputs, and is rather appealing in price and easy on the eyes...

any q's just ask, the wife seems to think i spend way too much money on our home theatre, but i dont think so when you look at a set of BW speakers for like 5-50K!!
Old 10/14/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Harmon Kardon is affordable quality as well.
I hear ya on the pricing. the place where i bought my Cambridge Audio stuff had three rooms.
in the "low end" room the stuff was all names like Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha, etc. the "middle" room had stuff like Cambridge Audio, and a couple others. the high end room, the guy told me that the wiring for a system like what they had on display in there cost more than i would spend on a car!
Old 10/14/2007, 06:18 PM
Hola

Thanks guys, specially for the link. I am leaning towards an Arcam FMJ AV9, this stuff really gives me a headache........

I get the B&W speaker comment, its hard to justify the price to non audioholics. Currently leaning towards Paradigm Signature speakers since I thought the B&W where a bit to "bright".
Old 10/14/2007, 06:20 PM
Movin On Up

Ok ,IMHO, keep the Mac amp. You WILL NOT find an amp in a reciever that can compete with it. The Citation pre amp while not bad is not a high end pre amp. You could look into Rotel, Parasound, Classe Audio or maybe even Adcom. The big question is if you only use the system for videos. When I upgraded mine, I had to first find one with inputs for a mc phono cartrige. That wasn't easy.

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 10/14/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

If you get a chance, check out the Rotel line of recievers/preamps- they sound very good and won't set you back too much.

As for speakers, Paradigm's sig series is nice...what B&W's did you demo? The 700 series is good, and I have heard great things about the CM series, but never got a chance to demo them. I myself splurged on the B&W XT series earlier this year after looking at the Paradigm Millenia and DefTech Mythos lines (Short on space, so the big box speakers didn't fit the bill)

Look into the amp first then use it to demo the speakers...I know listening to the B&W's on a Rotel amp vs. a Pioneer elite reciever was a night and day difference.

Good luck in your search- check out avsforums.com for some good info as well
Old 10/14/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcraft
Look into the amp first then use it to demo the speakers..
x2
Old 10/14/2007, 07:32 PM
Aspiring Polymath

When I put my system together, I started with the Stereophile recommended components issue and auditioned stuff for about 12 months. I bought practically everything used and saved probably 50%. My system is a mix of Meridian(CD player and preamp), Pass Labs(power amp), and JM Labs (speakers).
Old 10/14/2007, 10:56 PM
Hola

Yeah the Citation is OLD and pretty much never held its own ground, I am looking forward to the upgrade.

Curiously enough I demoed the B&W 800 series speakers with the latest from Rotel, need to give the rotel pre another try with a different set of speakers. I've already decided on the paradigm speakers, they where extremely pleasant.

Demoing an Arcam receiver during the week. I've heard great things about them and I want to give them a try before I pull the trigger. Its extremely hard to find non-biased opinions from the retailers so I really appreciate any input you guys have given.

I've been liking the site over at www.avguide.com, they seem to have nice reviews of almost all the brands.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:07 PM
Movin On Up

Take your own stuff to listen to . Whenever I'm looking at equipment I take a few dvd's and cd's with me. You should know them and the sound you're looking for. It's like a religious experience when you hear something you never heard before!!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 10/14/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

yes, definitely take your own source material to listen to! something that will test the system but that you know really well so as to be able to hear the subtle differences.

I was fortunate when I went to demo some speakers of having heard Earth Wind & Fire the night before...so I used a recording of theirs to demo the speakers and amps. Some MartinLogan Electrostats did the recording no justice whatsoever, but the B&W 801's sounded awesome, albeit WAY over my budget

Either way, it looks like you will be going with quality equipment, so there should be no worries