Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2006, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

This is a day 4 update.

The extension of each is MUCH longer but it seems to have lost its bright neon colors on the polyps...Can anyone chime in on
this?

Old 04/23/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Just to throw in a pic of my star polyps and bubble coral:

Old 04/24/2006, 08:15 AM
Goniopora Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by m3ntal
Do you guys target feed or just put the stuff into hte tank?
Target feed.
Quote:
The kent product called "zooplex" I got says that its zooplankton. Also, it's bright red as you described cyclops. Is this the same stuff?
If the store carries Kent products, see if they have "zoomax", it is more concentrated than "zooplex". You want to use concentrated foods.

It is a preparation that contains the same stuff (cyclopeeze).

Quote:
This is a day 4 update.
The extension of each is MUCH longer but it seems to have lost its bright neon colors on the polyps...Can anyone chime in on
this?
That is good inflation and extension; the way it is supposed to be. The more the coral extends and expands it's tissue, the less green it will look. Also, you may have it under less intense lighting than it was previously. The less intensity it is under, the more brown it will become (from zooxanthellae), the more intensity it is under, the more green it will become (from fluorescent proteins). A good balance of lighting would be to have both some green and brown coloration.
Old 04/24/2006, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Thanks john for the info.

Its under 400w MH. I slowly moved him from a shady spot to an open spot on the bottom of the tank.
Old 05/21/2006, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Cannot really blame the LFS..... If they are knowledgable and still tell a noobie that Goniporia are easy to keep shame on them, but you will find not evey employee of LFS are as knowledable as we would like them to be. Remember they are in business to make $$$$

It is our responsibilty to gain the knowledge to make informed purchases. Do more homework before your next purchase the reef you save may be your childrens....
Old 05/21/2006, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Funny, I just fed my corals... and while feeding I decided to Target Feed my Neon Green Goniopora Stokesi with some Oyster Eggs.. Just took a bit and mixed it up in a glass of tank water and fed around the polyps carefully and gently and this seemed to provoke a MASSIVE feeding response, the coral suddenly started to almost close I guess you might say... shrinking its tenticles wherever food was near... not retracting but doing something of the sort...

very interesting...
Old 05/21/2006, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Here’s a picture of one I got a month ago it just gets bigger and bigger every day.
I’ve been feeding it real live phytoplankton (not refrigerated) that I rejuvenate after I take some out for feeding no $ spent. Then I raise brine shrimp for feeding also it seems to be working well all my corals are just getting bigger and bigger FAST.

Old 05/22/2006, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

I have had 3 Gonis for about 8 month now. I keep them on the bottom of tank, they seem to like it there the best. I never do anything feed or add any special products. I was told keeping them on the bottom would best. I think some tanks are too sterile that is the main problem with gonis. I maybe wrong but they are my personal favorite in my tanks.
Old 05/23/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I have heard that small doses of iron also helps keeps Gonis alive I have had mine for about 2months and is starting to grow over the bare spots it had on it when was at the store, Also has three new polyps!
Old 05/23/2006, 07:10 PM
Go Sooners!

Quote:
Originally posted by boomsticks
I have heard that small doses of iron also helps keeps Gonis alive I have had mine for about 2months and is starting to grow over the bare spots it had on it when was at the store, Also has three new polyps!
Julian Sprung conducted experiments with dosing iron and found that iron helps restore bleached gonis.
Old 05/23/2006, 10:29 PM
Zoanthid proper

funny thing i had mine for along time now. and well i have had the best of luck target feeding it DT's. Mine its a neon dark purple and cost me 20$ for a 3'' frag and now is 6''.