Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Der_Iron_Chef
Do Indo and Aussie Acanthastrea Lordhowensis have different skeletal structures? What are fundamental differences (if any?) that would enable one to make such a judgment call? It seems kind of silly and very subjective (i.e. It's really colorful, therefore it must be Aussie).
No differences whatsoever except the country/region they were collected in.
Old 08/27/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

I've heard from a number of peopel that the polyp structure coming out of Australia is slightly less uniform. I can say that appears to be the case from my own collection. There is a lot of variability in the polyp structures of the ones I got (just within the same origin, without even taking different origins into account). I think I've also heard that, like most other realms of classification that cross over into our hobby, there isn't enough money to allow someone to actually study it and give definitives. Are they different enough to be different species, not my area, couldn't make that call. I will say that some look different in growth form, though, than the other acans that have been coming in over the last few years (since the height of the last acan craze).

All that said, the only way to know right now if they came from Australia is if you paid shipping from Australia. It can't be complete coincindence that with a three year old craze on acans that the new crazy colors start showing up on the scene after importing fro Australia. While not every Aussie acan has tons of color, the ones that do are more colorful than anything I ever saw posted before Australian exportation. JMO.
Old 08/27/2007, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

It could be either...but I am leaning towards Indo. If it is from Aus it is definitely not the "ultra" grade everyone is going after.

For the ones I have/ had seen - in the hundreds by now or own (8 /9 Aussie frags / small colonies and 6+ or so Indo's in the past). Aussie's polyps seems to be way puffier than the Indo ones I have/had and some of them the polyps are a bit bigger as well.
Old 08/28/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

INDO FOR SURE. I have seen over 500 colonies like that no less then 2-3 years ago that came in. The indo ones tend to color up nicely. The aussie ones seem to lose some of their color when they are captive raise. So far the non-indo/Japanese ones are the best. They are a super slow grower however.
Old 08/28/2007, 01:20 PM
Moved On

definitely not indo for sure. I've seen a ton of aussie ones that have dull or no color at all.
Old 08/28/2007, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

I believe the Aussies are more colorful than the Japanese acan lord I have seen. They are not the pastel colors of the Japanese but seem more vibrant than the Indo acans that flooeded the market. They area all nice corals for sure
Old 10/04/2007, 07:21 PM
Moved On

Love the purple color.
Old 10/04/2007, 09:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Hormigaquatica
It is 100% impossible to identify the collection location of A. lordhowensis just by the color/pattern. That holds true for virtually all corals. The ones that look really wild are often labled "non-Indo/Japanese/Aussie" whether they really are or not. Its a really nice colony- dont worry about where its from.
10000% true...You can not tell at all...all the names are marketing ploys to get you to spend more money...they are trendy names...Just like the whole "deepwater" coral...no body really knows where they come from, Unless the place you buy it from transshipped it from that country...even if they order it from LA suppliers, that is just a mess...ask any fish store owner about shipments they get in and how they got stuff they did not order....

If you like the coloring, then pay whatever you feel comfortable with...the names only drive the price up....

What is also really funny about this thread...everyone is apparently an expert now!!!!!! LOL....everyone knows "For Sure" what it is, but yet there are multiple differences of thoughts...People you have no way of telling where the coral came from...just because you saw ones that look like it, does not mean that is the case...How many of you, that know for sure what it is, have a marine biologist degree and studied lords on a scientific level? My guess, none! And this would be the only way you may have some validity to the claim you know what it is...but all true scientists would tell you that you can not tell where a coral came from looking at it...If you ask a scientist to even id a coral, they will tell you "No way to tell for sure until they see a skeleton" and that would be with it looking like a certain coral...Let alone where a coral originated from...

Last edited by crazedreefer; 10/04/2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

it really doesn't matter where they're from.

ALL the ones from "Indo" that came in 2 years ago, have a uiformed cartwheel type pattern, the radiating lighter colors stripes. These all have a uniformed base color.

Some australian colonies have the property, but many of the australian ones do not have it, instead they have some irregular spots and some have stripes on them, many have non uniformed base colors.

Ones from Japan that I've seen, and I've seen a lot in Japan, non have the uniformed cartwheel pattern, and the base colors vary in shades and colors. Some have spots, some have stripes that are irregular, and some have both. But NEVER uniformed lighter cartwheel stripes on a uniformed base color.

They're all probably the same species, just collected from different regions of the world, and the different colors bring forth different prices.

For the people who think its a pure evil mareketing scheme, then think of diamonds.

One carat of white diamond, Color D or so, IF grade, would cost about $50,000 or more, while a Color L with S2, or I1, the same size would cost maybe $3000.00 at your local mall!

Or the same one, but a pink diamond, or canary yellow would cost $100,000 or more. Same concept.

Some people are trying to make a quick buck by saying they have the Non indo, or Aussie, but it really depends on the eye of the beholder. To a non diamond fancier, the canary yellow would be less appealing then the $3000.00 Gem.

Oh, so from my description the picture posted is clearly an Indo origin color variety, a tiny chance it may be from Australia, and almost no chance that its from Japan.

Thanks for reading!
Old 10/06/2007, 05:22 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Quote:
Originally posted by crazedreefer
10000% true...You can not tell at all...all the names are marketing ploys to get you to spend more money...they are trendy names...Just like the whole "deepwater" coral...no body really knows where they come from, Unless the place you buy it from transshipped it from that country...even if they order it from LA suppliers, that is just a mess...ask any fish store owner about shipments they get in and how they got stuff they did not order....

If you like the coloring, then pay whatever you feel comfortable with...the names only drive the price up....

What is also really funny about this thread...everyone is apparently an expert now!!!!!! LOL....everyone knows "For Sure" what it is, but yet there are multiple differences of thoughts...People you have no way of telling where the coral came from...just because you saw ones that look like it, does not mean that is the case...How many of you, that know for sure what it is, have a marine biologist degree and studied lords on a scientific level? My guess, none! And this would be the only way you may have some validity to the claim you know what it is...but all true scientists would tell you that you can not tell where a coral came from looking at it...If you ask a scientist to even id a coral, they will tell you "No way to tell for sure until they see a skeleton" and that would be with it looking like a certain coral...Let alone where a coral originated from...
First of all, a marine biologist is not an expert on coral identification. I know many MB's that can't tell a Green Star Polyp from their left ear. Now, a coral taxonomist is a different matter. I actually find your post the most amusing on this whole thread. I can't vouch for everyone that posted here, but I know several, including myself, see literally thousands of corals monthly. We see shipments as they arrive in this country direct from their country of origin. After years of doing this, you do tend to become somewhat of an expert on where certain corals or fish came from based on appearance. Is it 100% scientifically accurate? Hell no, but it is probably the closest thing to an expert opinion you will get on a board like this without, as you state, a skeletal exam. There are thousands of threads on this board asking for ID or origin of corals and fish. Many people here rely on the advice of those experienced hobbyists and professional aquarists that frequent these boards.
Old 10/06/2007, 09:42 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by SPStoner
First of all, a marine biologist is not an expert on coral identification. I know many MB's that can't tell a Green Star Polyp from their left ear. Now, a coral taxonomist is a different matter. I actually find your post the most amusing on this whole thread. I can't vouch for everyone that posted here, but I know several, including myself, see literally thousands of corals monthly. We see shipments as they arrive in this country direct from their country of origin. After years of doing this, you do tend to become somewhat of an expert on where certain corals or fish came from based on appearance. Is it 100% scientifically accurate? Hell no, but it is probably the closest thing to an expert opinion you will get on a board like this without, as you state, a skeletal exam. There are thousands of threads on this board asking for ID or origin of corals and fish. Many people here rely on the advice of those experienced hobbyists and professional aquarists that frequent these boards.
Whatever, excuse my wrong terms of what would be able to ID a coral...my bad...

However my point is that everyone here claims that they know what they are talking about and they are 100% sure they know where a coral came from and by a picture you can not tell that 100% for sure, so it is not scientific and thus no one claim 100% fact...So I find it very funny that there are multiple people in this thread that claim they know exactly where it is from but yet there are both yes and no's that is an indo or aussie coral...that proves my point that you can not tell me 100% for sure where it is from by a G-- D--m picture on the internet.

And it is funny you only pic my post because others said the same thing as me...
Old 10/06/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

99.999999999999999999999999999998% indo
00.000000000000000000000000000001% aussie
00.000000000000000000000000000001% japan

That is my professional hobbyist opinion.
Old 10/06/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Mods, please end thread, I was just looking for advice, not an argument.
Old 10/06/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Nobody knows for sure, but we can be close to accurate base on all the indos, non-indos and aussies that have been coming in lately.
All Delight hit it right on the spot.
Old 10/07/2007, 08:02 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

crazedreefer- they (we) are just giving opinions, nothing more. That is all the OP was after.

All Delight- Right on, bro!
Old 10/07/2007, 11:21 AM
Moved On

Not a aussie
Old 10/07/2007, 01:47 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

I think everybody has a point here.

I don't think you can tell unless you have reliable sources who confide to you where they were collected from.

Is there any doubt that Indo Acan Lord has become synonymous with lower end acan. It's sad but true.

That said, I believe it is an Indo Acan.
Old 10/07/2007, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

the Indo acan's I have are very nice and have a nice color to them and are still nice. They do look as exotic as the non-Indo (Japan) or Australian Acan lords I have.

Honestly if you like acan's it really doesn't matter where they come. I enjoy just having all the variety in color morphs they come in; very similar to the variety of zoanthids/paly's I have.