Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2005, 09:55 PM
Moved On

SIMPLE mushroom prop.

Well, I had a loose hairy mushroom that I needed to do something with. I had a small rock, so I took it and put a rubberband around it. At this point, I was frusterated with it. I had been shooving it in holes and stuff for weeks. When i banded it, it spilled it's guts. I was thinking if it makes it great, if it doesn't, oh well. Well, it split in half.... and made 2! They both attatched and not they are both about the same size as the original! This was about 3 weeks ago. The mushrooms now are about 4" full open. I know this is old, but it is just a reminder for someone who have overlooked it before. it works!
Old 09/11/2005, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Interesting, I was actually looking for a way to get my red mushroom to multiply.
Is there anything else I can do to get my single mushroom to start splitting?
Old 09/11/2005, 11:30 PM
Moved On

nothing other than time. You can cut them, that works, but you will have to look it up, I don't have any experience personally
Old 09/12/2005, 01:30 AM
Moved On

Does this method work with Ricordea Florida?
Old 09/12/2005, 06:06 PM
wears sex panther

Quote:
Originally posted by ZURCSREEF
Does this method work with Ricordea Florida?

it does, but with varying degrees of success, they're a little more susceptible to infection than discosomas

There are no facts, only interpretations

-Nietzche
Old 09/17/2005, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

For regular red mushrooms, cutting them works just fine. Been there, done that, have a tank full of them now
Old 09/27/2005, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

hi sandiegan,
somehow I missed this part. can you post your idea again on how to cut the shroom to multiply it? thanks, integra
Old 09/27/2005, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

hmm...basically take a shroom, cut it off at the base. So now you have a disk. Cut that into thirds or quarters, trying to get a piece of the mouth (middle) on each piece. Not necessary, but helps heal faster. Then put the pieces in a low flow area (very low flow, but still a little). Let them heal (~week or so) then put them on a rock w/ some wedding veil if you want and they'll attach after a bit.
Old 09/28/2005, 10:12 AM
Timmah!

I haven't really had a problem with propagating mushrooms. I have some violet mushrooms that are nearly overrunning my tank. They grow and grow and grow and little babies grow up from underneath the larger ones, and then let go of the rock to float somewhere else, then attach and start growing and making babies.... In a little over a year I've gone from one rock with 4 mushrooms on it to probably upwards of 60 mushrooms. And I've given away or traded a bunch more.