Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/27/2005, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

Finger Leather Propagation

I have not fragged a coral before, but I do have a growing finger leather that I would like to propagate in the next couple of months. Can someone tell me how I should go about it, or point me towards a link or book I can read.

Thanks
Old 09/27/2005, 04:11 PM
Reef Joker

slice off a branch or two or three at base and place in a bowl of tank water. run some carbon in a filter bag in your sump. take each cut piece and run a plastic toothpick through the base about 1/4in or so above the cut. Next, take a small piece of live rock rubble free of too much stuff grwing on it and slightly irregular with depressions, holes, etc. Place the cut end of the frag in contact with the rock in such a way that its in a depression and the toothpick ends are in near good points to secucre with a rubberband. Don't rubberband too tight as the pressure on the toothpick will shear it throgh the frag. Place back in tank in medium flow (on sand bed or perched on rock near mother colony). In a couple weeks time, the frag will attach to rock and resume growth. cut rubberband free and slide out toothpick. the cut mother may withdraw polyps for a day, but if its healthy, it will seal cuts and extend polyps again within a day or two. use a clean razor and don't hack. nice smooth slice, or quick cut with clean stainless sewing scissors are what I use.

this place uses a slightly different method
http://www.garf.org/MPegs/CapnellaPropagation.html
http://www.garf.org/trever/sinu/sinulara.html

try a general internet search on 'soft coral propagation'
Old 09/28/2005, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, great info. I'll let you know how I get on when I eventually go for it.
Old 09/28/2005, 10:09 AM
Timmah!

I've actually read recommendations NOT to jam the cut surface against a rock. The reason given is that the wound will likely generate lots of mucous that, in ideal conditions, would be shed and carried away by water flow. If the wound is pressed against the rock, the mucous doesn't slough off and the chance of fungus or disease increases dramatically.
Old 09/28/2005, 11:42 AM
Reef Joker

TimD: that has not been my experience in 100+ frags, besides, I did not give advice to JAM anything.

Quote:
Place the cut end of the frag in contact with the rock in such a way that its in a depression and the toothpick ends are near good points to secucre with a rubberband. Don't rubberband too tight as the pressure on the toothpick will shear it through the frag.
Perhaps, placing the frag sideways, with the cut in the flow, would lesen the likelihood of secondary infection?
I have had a few frags that developed secondary infections and had to be re-cut and mounted, but it was a rare event.
It helps to have 'clean' rock chunks for mounting.
I would be of the opinion that actively grown cells at the healing cut, would more quickly attach. In my experience, the frag will not resume vertical and lateral growth until attachment is successful.
Old 09/29/2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

By a clean rock you mean one with no coralline, or even inert non-live rock?
Old 09/29/2005, 10:29 AM
Reef Joker

corralline is probably ok, but any type of other algae, sponge, encrusting worm, etc will potentially lead to infection at the cut.
I use dead rock chunks, or barren, but live rock chunks in my sump. I ocassionally break up bigger LR and the interior portion is generally free of stuff.