Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

What crazy food concoctions do you guys make

I recently added a tomato clown to my tank and have been thinking about different foods to feed. I currently am using a mix of dry food, with some brine shrimp added to it. I also have some frozen Mysis that gets used as well. I was thinking about making my own frozen concoction and was wondering what some of you guys have done. I came across an article by Dr. Shimiek about how he makes his own using brine, flake, spirulina, shrimp, scallops, etc and selcon, then refreezes them into cubes for daily use. Just trying to get some ideas on what I could use, to change up the tanks diet. He is the only fish in the tank, along with some zooz, mushrooms, RBTA, some other bubble Corals. Jon
Old 12/30/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

I shred krill, add mysis and brine with a little cyclopeez, and some frozen prime reef. Every other time I add some phytoplankton for the filter feeders in between coral feedings. Also daily I add a little flake several times, I use 3 different kinds to keep a variety. Very soon I will start growing my own brine as I hear the baby brine is much more nutritious and can be gut loaded by putting vitamins in the water a few hours before you feed them to the fish.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

This is what I typically make for my reef - it's a little different every time, depending on what fresh or frozen foods are available/on sale at the time.

Homemade Blender Mush Recipe
5 raw shrimp (frozen or fresh), unpeeled
5 scallops (frozen or fresh)
1 cup frozen seafood mix (usually contains a mix of things like octopus, squid, mussel, shrimp, crab)
1 fish fillet (whatever frozen ocean fish is on special)
1/4 cup mix of flakes and pellets (I use Hikari marine pellets, Prime Reef, spirulina flakes, OSI foods, whatever's in the cupboard at the time) - these soak up the juices and vitamins
nori, dulce, wakame, other dried seaweeds (tear into bits before blending or they get stuck)
1 crushed, peeled clove of garlic
Selcon
vitamins (Kent Zoe)

Put the fresh/frozen seafoods and garlic into a blender, add some tank water and pulse until they're broken into small pieces (small enough for the fish to eat but still chunky). Remove about 1/2 cup and reserve for later. Continue blending the remainder until it's just about pureed.

Add the vitamins/supplements to the mix, toss in the flakes and pulse to mix. Add back the reserved seafood, mix it through the rest.

I use ice cube trays and fill them halfway, then store the cubes in freezer bags. The amounts listed will last me for months and months, and it's far less costly than buying frozen at the LFS.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

For those of you that replied thanks for the info. Part of the reason I want to do my own food, is due to a lack of stores that aren't 1+ hours away that carry decent frozen food, and I dont want to mail order stuff. I have some mini ice cube trays that came with an old mini fridge, that will be perfect for freezing up batches of cubes. Jon
Old 12/31/2007, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

You're most welcome! I'm a firm believer that homemade foods are the best anyway - what's better than fresh seafood, vitamins, garlic and seaweed mixed together and frozen, and used within a few months? It's probably more nutritious than something that may have been sitting on a LFS shelf for weeks or months, and it's definitely a lot more cost-effective!