Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

My cat also likes water, he gets in the shower with the wife. He has never tried to get in any of my tanks. He does paw at glass sometimes but not very often. I think you will be fine.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

No experience myself but there was a post on here a while back where somebody caught their cat taking a swim in the tank and posted pics.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Like any thing a few well might try. Most will not I would just take the chance the odds are very high your tank will be safe from the cats.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

42 tanks + 5 cats = 0 wet cats here.

They'll hardly drink water let alone get in the tank.

They don't care about the fish despite what the comic strips say.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Yeah my two cats could have jumped in for years but don't even like to get too close to the water. They certainly could jump right in the sump anytime but don't go near it. I think its pretty rare with saltwater tanks and maybe a little more common with freshwater but like most people have said, once and they will never go near it again.

I think it should be no problem.
Old 12/14/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

I used to have a cat that would stick her feet into the tank and try to catch the fish constantly. I did worry that the bacteria from her paws would be an issue, but not enough for me to do anything about it. It was a freshwater tank, though.

I haven't had any cats since I made the switch to SW. I gave her away last year because she kept peeing in my laundry baskets.

I bet she wouldn't have stuck her paws in so much with the SW because she wouldn't have wanted to lick the salt off.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

My cat enjoys sleeping on top of my freshwater tank, custom built the canopy and he is always up there. He used to like to sit on top of my AP24 when the lights were on, but one I was doing a water change and he jumped up and hit the water. He landed on my LR and just as quickly was on the floor licking his wet paw.........funny to see and now he wont jump on the saltwater tank. Jon

Old 12/15/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

2 years ago I set up a rubbermaid tub on the floor as solitary confinement for a blue gourami; my cat would sit there all day and watch the fish, and would drink from the tank a lot(freshwater)... the only time he ever came into contact with the fish, he was taking a drink and the gourami came up at his tongue... the cat jumped backwards across the entire length of my living room. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

As far as saltwater goes, he's tasted the water a couple times, then left it alone.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

We've always had at least one tank running, and over the years we've had tanks with eggcrate, canopies, open tops, light fixtures close to the top, suspended 12" over the surface... no wet cats. Not even close.

This is the closest any of our three cats have ever gotten to one of our tanks, FW or SW, in 12 years.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

No attention, even when tank was on the same desktop:

Neighborly cats come from the outside the window sometimes to take a look at fish.

I have suspicion, that most of this funny pictures were made intentionally by putting cat in intolerable situation.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

We have 3 cats. They never bothered the SW tank. They love to sit and watch it. That said, we also have a 10 gallon FW tank for gold fish. 1 cat lifts the lid and sticks his paw in there and swishes it around. He will even drink from it. I assume cats do not like saltwater and if they tried it once, they probably would not do it again. FW is like a big water bowl for them.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Just set up a new nano a few weeks ago the 34g solana.Had the glass top on at all times and the cat never even noticed the aquarium. Doing tests on it on day had the top off and hands in the aquarium, all of a sudden ..splash. My bengal must have been watching me clean or something. Needless to say happened in a second and there was water everywhere. ****ed at first now sorta funny. Dont ever put it past them.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Sadly enough, one of the reasons I took down my first saltwater tank 25 years ago was because of one of the family cats. He had been tranined to pee in the toilet. Guess what? He thought the tank was HIS toilet. Talk about an amonia problem. Couldn't stop him so I ended up taking down the tank. Funny, he never peed in the freshwater tanks.

Dave
Old 12/15/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

I had a Coralife Aqualight HQI fixture over a 30 gal breeder. My cat would use it to get to the other side of the table that the tank sat on. Well one day (light was on) he stepped on it and its arm snapped. The light and the cat went in the tank. Thank God for GFCI's. What a mess that cat made trying to get back out of the tank.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ACBlinky
We've always had at least one tank running, and over the years we've had tanks with eggcrate, canopies, open tops, light fixtures close to the top, suspended 12" over the surface... no wet cats. Not even close.

This is the closest any of our three cats have ever gotten to one of our tanks, FW or SW, in 12 years.
ACBlinky, how did you get a picture of my cat!
Old 12/15/2007, 12:39 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

we have three cats. And bosco, the most curious, can jump up on to the edge of my 90 when the canopy is of and walk around it. Trust me they won't ever jump in. Though he loves being in empty tanks.

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 12/15/2007, 02:29 PM
Bucket Reefer

My 2 cats are not allowed to jump on the aquarium or on its stand. A little training with a spray bottle is all it took to train mine.
Old 12/15/2007, 03:43 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

this should turn into a post your cats pic with your aquarium thread lol

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 12/15/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

i put on a canopy and my cats still jump on it
Old 12/15/2007, 08:34 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Me and my girlfriend both have cats and aquariums (mine is salt and hers is freshwater).
Mine is a lazy himalayan cat and i dont think he has even noticed that there is an aquarium in the house.
On the other hand my girl friend's cat is a naughty kitten. She used to jump on the tank and try to catch fish with her paws. My gf left her kitten to me for a week. As there is nothing at the top of my tank that she could climb, she was just watching and sometimes hitting the glass with her paws.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 12/15/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

My cat got one taste of the saltwater out of the sump and never went near it again. Everyday I see him drinking out of the freshwater tanks though.

Matt.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Go to the Local Pet Store they sell Cat Repellent in a spray bottle put it all around the tank and voila.