Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2006, 05:20 AM
Registered Member

Stock listing for a 900gal...

Well I am putting together a new fish / invert list...

I am looking at the following...

FISH :
Potters Angel
Flame Angel
Scooter Blenny
Firefish Goby
Rainfordi Goby
Royal Gramma
Magnificent Foxface
A few Yellow and Purple Tangs
Sailfin tang (Red Sea) AKA : Desjardini
PowderBlue Tang
Achilles Tang
Exquisite Wrasse

Inverts :
Peppermint shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
Mexican Turbo Snails

Does anyone see anything questionable with the above listed livestock, if so why ?? Also do you see something that could be added that would benifit the over all system ??

The system will be BB with 4x6200s and 2x6100s...
Old 11/22/2006, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Re: Stock listing for a 900gal...

Quote:
Originally posted by asnatlas
Inverts :
Peppermint shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
Mexican Turbo Snails[/B]
Anyone ??

I am now thinking about the following inverts...

25 Mexican
50 Cerith
100 Astera
100 Nassarius
Old 11/22/2006, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Are you going to add more later? I don't think that's enough for your "swimming pool" ..
Old 11/22/2006, 06:35 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Re: Re: Stock listing for a 900gal...

Quote:
Originally posted by asnatlas
Anyone ??

I am now thinking about the following inverts...

25 Mexican
50 Cerith
100 Astera
100 Nassarius
I think the Cerith and Nassarius are fine, although depending on what Nassarius you get, you can go with a lot less of them. Also consider that nassarius are typically found in sandy areas so they will not be in their natural habitat.

The Mexican Turbos and Astraea are cold water snails you would need to slowly replace over time. I would recommend Trochus or other Turbo snails that are captive bred warm water snails over those choices.

Brian
Old 11/22/2006, 07:54 PM
Moved On

Hey Brian,
What would your take on Ilynassa Obsoleta, collected from warmer tropic regions as opposed to those from the North Atlantic be in the OPs system?
Old 11/22/2006, 09:07 PM
Invert Addict

I. obsoleta ranges from the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence down to Florida, with some introduced populations in central California & Puget Sound. If you could be certain that the ones you bought came from Florida they might do well temperature-wise but they are intertidal mud dwellers.
Old 11/22/2006, 09:55 PM
Moved On

Well I have access to some from a personal friend doing the collecting, Yeah i can be assured they are from Florida..Haha. I see you are from California, how are the ones being collected there? Have you ever kept any yourself? I have done a lot of research and the info seems to be postive for the most part, and I am going to order a large number to save on the shipping, but of course I would love any input I can get. Thanks Michael
Old 11/23/2006, 02:56 AM
reef obsessed

Did you say a 900 GALLON? Do post some pics over in the large tank forum please!
Old 11/23/2006, 09:45 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by mrobbtx
Hey Brian,
What would your take on Ilynassa Obsoleta, collected from warmer tropic regions as opposed to those from the North Atlantic be in the OPs system?
I have to say I think Ilynassa obsoleta are a bad choice for reef tanks. Even if they are collected from the southern edge of their range, they are still a cold water snail that will not do well in reef tank temperatures.

My main objection is that they are an invasive species when found outside their natural range and commonly carry diseases (that can even cause rashes in people). They are found in CA (introduced) and the last I heard CA was trying to wipe them out, not collect them.

Most of what you read online about these snails is from the people collecting them, basically their sales pitch. Personally, I think they are a bad choice for reef tanks.

Reefkeeping's November edition has a fabulous article on them, that is based on literature, not sales pitch:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/mg/index.php

I would recommend you look at other options for snails.

Brian
Old 11/23/2006, 10:19 AM
Moved On

Yeah I know there is debate, but still my question remains, The OPs system isnt a reef, its a fish tank, and thats what I have in mind too. The question I am asking relates to tempature viabilty and I am looking into getting peoples personal experiances and I was curious if you had any yourself?
Old 11/23/2006, 10:20 AM
Moved On

or am I wrong about the Ops tank? I see his list, but no corals are on it...
Old 11/23/2006, 01:43 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by mrobbtx
Yeah I know there is debate, but still my question remains, The OPs system isnt a reef, its a fish tank, and thats what I have in mind too. The question I am asking relates to tempature viabilty and I am looking into getting peoples personal experiances and I was curious if you had any yourself?
I do not have any myself for two reasons:

1. It is an invasive species that can cause damage to an ecosystem if it is accidentally released and I don't want to support that.

2. The possibility of flukes burrowing into my skin is enough to avoid these snails. Gloves would help protect my arms, but why would I want to knowingly put a possibly infectious animal into my system?

Obviously other things we put in our reef tanks are possibly infectious, which is why I wear gloves, but combine one and two and that is enough for me to avoid them.

Their natural range temperature average off NC is around 68F, if you intent to keep the fish only tank at that temperature they would survive much longer than at 78-84F.

What is the OPs system?

Brian
Old 11/23/2006, 02:39 PM
Moved On

thanks for the input, I am always wanting to hear every side on any issue, as for the Ops system, whats it going to be? At 900 gallons..I can only say...SWEEEEET! LOL
Old 11/23/2006, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drummereef
Did you say a 900 GALLON? Do post some pics over in the large tank forum please!
Yes, I have a thread over in the Large Reef Tanks Forum... Click on my red house to view it... Its a 96x48x30 display with a large sump, and fuge