Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy skimmer problems

hey guys,
so i got my reef octopus dnw-110 in the mail yesterday and i still havent got it going yet!
first off it keeps leeking, initially almost everywhere possible, now i think its only 1 to 2 spots.
i have tried putting heaps of tape over the threats which has helped a bit, but not enough any ideas?
also sorry if this sounds like a noob question but also when i turn on the inlet pump that goes into the skimmer the water keeps going into the cup!! why is this?

cheers
Old 08/04/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

well first, you have to wait for skimmers to break in..this takes about a week usually.

But is this a new one or no? It shouldnt be leaking, so i'm guessing its a used one?
Old 08/04/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

no its new, sealed box and all... and when i mean water goes into the cup i mean it gushes in there. im using a 1500 l/hr pump or approx 400g/hr, is this overkill?
Old 08/04/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Not sure if the pump is overkill...probably not if it was designed for that skimmer. But yes, the water gushing into the cup is perfectly normal. Wait a week and it should be foam rising just under the top of the riser tube in the cup.
Old 08/04/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

my original skimmer never did that though, the cup fills up in about 5 seconds! luckily it has a hose for where the skimmate is supposed to come out but surely this isnt normal, is it!!??
Old 08/04/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

I would first take the skimmer and pump and put them in a vinegar bath. This will remove all oils. They should help get your bubles down. I would match a pump that is recommended with your skimmer. It may take 3 weeks for your skimmer to start skimming dry
Old 08/04/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

so it is normal that water GUSHES into the cup?
Old 08/04/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

what are you skimming? your tank full? Have you used eppoxy for rocks.
Old 08/04/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

what do you mean what am i skimming? yes the tanks full...
Old 08/04/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

anyone?
Old 08/04/2007, 01:01 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

try adjusting the flow of the pump. dial it back. Ideally, you don't want wet water going into the collection cup - just foam. Maybe wet foam, but just foam. No water. you shouldn't be filling your cup in a few minutes - that's not normal. can you tweak the air flow? Spend some time adjusting it to find the balance.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 08/04/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

ill see if i can get adjustable tap for the pump because i think it must be that its getting too much flow.
ill see if i can adjust the airflow, i think i should be able to.
its still very strange though that a brand new one would have leaks from 2 spots when i have tightened it VERY tight!

cheers Jason
Old 08/04/2007, 01:29 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

While you're fiddling with it - if you want to make sure it stops leaking, some teflon tape on those threads might be a good idea. Be careful about overtightening plastic fittings - the last thing I'd want you to do is crack the plastic or something.

Old 08/04/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

thats the weird thing ive used teflon tape on the threads... maybe time for more tape???
Old 08/04/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

if the pumps to strong cant you T off the pump to circulate another part of the tank or something to that effect instead of a valve that stresses the pump itself. maybe add a 2nd sump if you have the room to grow mangroves..
Old 08/04/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

so adding a T would essentially halve the amount that goes into the skimmer? sounds like a good idea
Old 08/04/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

correct me if i'm wrong anyone. i would love to have more pumps or to much flow. When i put a T on my return to my scwd's (wavemaker) 2400gph it cut it way down till it wasn't enough. or just pump the excess up a standpipe till its like a water feature in your sump just like the asm g series skimmers return stand pipe. if anything it's good for gas exchange on surface water.
Old 08/05/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys, well ive gone and bought a T fitting for the pump but my problem is that water is not flowing through the return and back into the sump, i have tried turning the tap each way and it doesnt make a difference... so instead of water flowing out of the skimmer it flowing up! any ideas?
Old 08/05/2007, 08:38 AM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

If the plan is to throttle the pump back because you think it's pushing too much water, why not just try the simple route first? Get a gate or ball valve and put that on the output side of the pump, and close it a little bit. There's no need to make life more complicated than it already is

Old 08/05/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

i was gonna do that but i was told it would add stess to the pump.. but thats not really my problem, got an idea on why the water is not running out of the skimmer?
Old 08/05/2007, 09:14 AM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

It doesn't really add "stress" to the pump, what it basically does is increase the head pressure on it.

I'm not familiar with the skimmer model you have, so I don't really know why the wter isn't running out of it. plugged some place? Piece of packing foam/peanut blocking a pipe? I'm seen weirder things...

Is the output of the skimmer below the water surface? Maybe it's not draining because it's fighting gravity or something.

Try asking the manufacturer?

Old 08/05/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

the input is above the water surface, and its not blocked, ive checked and water is in there at the bottom but its just not continuing on... very weird indeed...
Old 08/05/2007, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Dumb question maybe, and it may have been answered, but does your skimmer have an outlet valve?
Old 08/05/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

yes it does, ive tried adjusting it but it doesnt make a difference
Old 08/05/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

anyone???