Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2005, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Controlling soft coral growth

I have a colt that is overtaking my colony of zoo's and i was wondering what i can do to stop it. It is already attached to the rock with the zoo's.

Thanks.
Old 12/30/2005, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

You can pull it off the rock or prune it with scissors and place the frags in a seperate container of rubble covered with bridal veil or mesh netting. Do this outside of your tank and then rinse everything with tank water and put back in. Do not put the used water back in the tank.
Old 12/30/2005, 02:21 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I might be invisioning something different from coralfarm123. Is the base of it creeping into the zoo colony? If so, I would just clip the whole colt coral off and do as mentioned above. Then I would zap whats left of the base still attached to the rock with kalkwasser like you would an aiptasia. Or you can scrub it off with a toothbrush.
Old 12/30/2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

cut as much as you like and sell the frags.

FROGfish
Old 01/02/2006, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

colt coral is probably the hardest soft coral to frag. It is very hard to get it to attach to rock so if you like the colt be very careful about cutting it. It is very hardy and a fast grower after it attaches to the rock but I have seen a piece of it float around in the frag tank for month's without attaching
Old 01/03/2006, 01:58 PM
Reef Joker

I've had similar experiences as Bad Habit with difficulty in getting colt frags to attach using a variety of methods (ie gravel bowl, toothpicks and rubberbands, sewing to rock with fishing line, etc)