Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

best sand for SPS tank

Finally upgrading to the bigger tank. It'll be SPS mostly so the flow will be on the high side. Any recommendations on sands? I currently have the very white fine grianed sand and I see it shifting around as I've increased the flow. I like the white look, but will go otherwise if it'll tolerate high flow better. I see that Aragamax "live" stuff but it looks more brown (and I know the "live" part is a joke). What are you guys doing? Is it as simple as creatively designing your flow/ rock placement?
Old 10/24/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I am curious to hear what others are using as well. I am using a regular silica white play sand from Home Depot, but I liked the natural look of aragonite sand better when I had Southdown. The silica sand seems to stay down better than the aragonite, but the aesthics aren't as nice in my opinion.

Since Southdown is no longer available, I was wondering if anybody has any less expensive alternatives to purchasing aragonite sand than paying the $30+ per bag at the LFS.
Old 10/24/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Ron Shimek on his website recommends a combination of various grain sizes for a dsb. Here's the makeup he recommends.

http://www.ronshimek.com/Deep%20Sand%20Beds.htm
Old 10/24/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

DSB, that may be an idea. I will have a RDSB. What about in the display about 1-3"s deep?
Old 10/24/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

I use about an inch of Carib-Sea special grade sand in my tanks. It looks nice and it's coarse enough that I can vacuum it during water changes to prevent detritus from building up in it. I pay about $1/lb at the LFS, but it's not that bad when you're just doing a thin layer.
Old 10/24/2007, 06:15 PM
Alpha One

CaribSea Reeflor Special Grade.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 10/25/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Still curious to hear if others with high flow are using the CaribSea. While we are on the topic, I am going from a 20L with about 2" maybe 2 1/2" of sand to a 50 breeder (it's really fine sand, Natures Ocean Premium Marine substrate). Do you think it's safe to transfer all of it or should I just transfer a few cups.
Old 10/25/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

i use fine grade caribsea around 1 1/2 inches deep with a 1/2 inch of crushed coral gravel on top.ive found that different sizes helps to keep the sandbed from compacting and allows for better flow through it.
Old 10/25/2007, 07:31 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Regular pink arag. Its so thin now, It may not even be considered a thin sand bed. It has blown all the way to the back of the tank under the rock. Just thicker stuff left in the front.
Old 10/25/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

I was using a very fine grain size and since I've upped my flow I have drifts in the tank, near bare spots, and I am forever blowing grains/piles of sand off my corals. Especially plating types. Like the white look, and need bobies in the tank! I just think I need something a tad heavier and need to pay a little more attention to my flow setup.
Old 10/25/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

The LFS has Caribsea "Select". Anyone know much about this? I think it is the sane as the "Live" sand, but not live (which is fine because I have pleanty of live sand anyway).