Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2003, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

Bta

I was pleasantly suprised to see my newly added bubble tip (approx 3 weeks) has split already....I was checking out my tank as usual when I get home from work, and thought to myself...wow this guy moved all the way over here from lunch time to now....looked in the previous spot and he was still there....split and moved.........another pleasant suprise was when feeding my BTA, a piece of krill has escaped the grasp of the anemone, my recently added maroon grabbed the piece of krill and brought it back to the anemone and pushed it inside his tips...I know this happens, but had never witnessed it before...I was very happy to see this relationship...how often do these BTA's like to split?? or does it depend on how much you feed etc..

DaveC
Old 10/28/2003, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

that is AWESOME, isn't it? My ocellaris used to do that with my sebae back when I had them in my 30.
Old 10/28/2003, 10:39 AM
Reef Mania

I have been doing alot of reading on the Bubble's lately and they do not exactly know why they split. They are not sure if it because of stress or perfect conditions. Some say it is beacuse they feel that they have a better chance of surviving, and other's say they are Fat and Happy and feel the environment is good enough to support two of them.

There was a good article about a man that would feed them more often in his good environment and they would split. He would let off on the feeding just to occasionally and they would not split. He would pick up the feeding again and wallah they would split.

So if he was not bleached and you kept him fat and happy, then I would say that is a good thing.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/28/2003, 10:45 AM
Reef Mania

Oh, I forgot to mention the reason I have read so much about them lately. My first/original bubble split within a month of having him. He hid alot and I did not feed him directly enough so I am sure he split because of stress and took the later road thinking he might have a better chance of survival if he split. Well both of them lost all there Zooanthellea and eventually parished rather quickly. I have read alot and am trying it again, especially for my clown to have a good home. I am alot wiser now and should be very succesful with this one.

By the way, there is a survey that say's only 5% of the people who keep these bubble anemone's, will have them last 2 years and only 1 in 92 will have them last 5 years. In the wild they live pretty much for ever, but in the aquarium the odd's are not on our side.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting