Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/03/2005, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Who went bare bottom and wasn't happy with the result?

I have found lots of posts from people who ditched their DSB and say the tank never did better. Is that just because the people for whom it went well proclaim it, and for those for whom it did not go so well, they keep quiet?

Let's hear from those who wish they kept their DSB, or at least are looking for something else now that they've done barebottom.

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 04/04/2005, 12:51 PM
Is it gonna rain today?

Giving a bump, just for fun.

I happen to be a happy bare-bottom convert (coming from a shallow sand bed), but only where appropriate (SPS/clam tanks where high water flow and low-nutrient levels are desirable).

I wouldn't consider putting any of my Euphyllia in either of my bare-bottom tanks.

The choice to go bare-bottom should be dependant on the type of animals you want to keep. It’s not for everyone (or everything).
Old 04/04/2005, 01:04 PM

I really can't compare to a DSB because I had a mostly CC bed, with some sand, prior to going BB. I don't, won't, will never, miss it or want it back
Old 04/05/2005, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

I wonder if the lack of response from those people, if any, unhappy with a barebottom is telling.

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 04/05/2005, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

You'll find a few people eventually. I've read a few threads that had people that did not like the look of a bare bottom tank, and added sand. I doubt they had PROBLEMS with bare bottom, most of it was for looks I'm sure.

I personally prefer sand, but that's just me. I love watching my diamond goby sift sand and build caves for himself every other day.
Old 04/05/2005, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

I think it's ugly

--Dan
Old 04/05/2005, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

I too love my dsb. I have too many things that use it.
Old 04/05/2005, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

btw I think bb tanks always look dirty and unnatural.Imo
Old 04/05/2005, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

so what is your definition of a DSB vs a SSB?
Old 04/06/2005, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

I asked my wife that once.... okay, bad joke.

4" or more is considered a DSB, I believe.
Old 04/06/2005, 01:10 AM
Ocean God

Under 2 inches for SSB.
Old 04/06/2005, 01:11 AM
Ocean God

Quote:
Originally posted by DaddyJax
btw I think bb tanks always look dirty and unnatural.Imo
S'OK. I think DSBs look dirty and nasty
Old 04/06/2005, 02:48 AM
Xenia Philanthropist

I never tried bare bottom but hate the way it looks. Sand all the way for me.

Even the bottom of my sump is hard to keep clean and is getting covered in coralline. Yech. I wouldn't want my tank looking that way.

It is really a matter of opinion, and either way can work. Just do what you think is best for you.

Crystal
Old 04/06/2005, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

I cant really complain either way.I dont like the look of BB and had higher nitrates with bb even under a light load.JMO.
Old 04/06/2005, 02:53 AM
midnight desperado

BB here... would never go back... I have black foam under my tank and really like the look (no starboard)
"If you don't test for it, DON'T ADD IT!!!!"
"Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment" -BrianD-
Old 04/06/2005, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

I personally can't stand bare bottom tanks. I think their ugly and unatural looking.
Old 04/06/2005, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

I have had a coated Starboard BB for a year after a SSB for two, and have nothing but good to say about them.
Though they can look very ugly in some tanks, where the rockwork is wide open and nothing is done to conceal the bottom.. They can look about as natural and appealing as any reef setting if you want them to, covered in SPS rubble and corals like zoanthids and rhodactis shrooms that are suitable in SPS tanks.
Old 04/06/2005, 05:30 AM
Premium Member

I had cc and then went bare bottom for a while. I didn't like the look so I am acclimating to a ssb around the perimiter of the tank that you see. I have lr sitting on egg crate which is not very visible. I didn't think the sand would get dirty looking as fast as it did. What is the best wat to clean the sand? I use to vacuum my cc.
Old 04/06/2005, 05:41 AM
Medieval French Monkey

To keep my substrate clean, I do vacuum when I siphon water out for a waterchange, but I also use a cleanup crew to keep the substrate stirred.

Upon (bad) advice, I used a combination of cc and sand for a substrate. I should bite the bullet and rip it out and put new sand in, but that's not a chore I'm looking forward to. I worry about my cc becoming a nutrient trap. Even though my cleanup crew keep the substrate stirred, the cc is covered with a lot of coralline--kinda pretty actually.

I honestly think BB or a sandbed is of personal preference. RC is proof enough that people can keep thriving tanks (SPS or other) in either kind of setup. It all depends on the animals we want to keep and our dedication to maintenance. I personally like the look of a substrate, but the corals I keep are mainly softies and LPS, so they like the extra nutrients that the SPS probably wouldn't tolerate.
Old 04/06/2005, 06:04 AM
Reformed Delinquent

Quote:
Originally posted by Jive Turkey
I have had a coated Starboard BB for a year after a SSB for two, and have nothing but good to say about them.
Though they can look very ugly in some tanks, where the rockwork is wide open and nothing is done to conceal the bottom.. They can look about as natural and appealing as any reef setting if you want them to, covered in SPS rubble and corals like zoanthids and rhodactis shrooms that are suitable in SPS tanks.
I thought the primary benefit of the BB was the ease with which detritis and mulm can be vacuumed out. If your bottom is obstructed with SPS rubble and corals like zoanthids and rhodactis shrooms, doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Old 04/06/2005, 06:20 AM
troublemaker

Has anyone who doesn't like the look of a BB tank seen one in person - or is it picture based?

Last edited by MiddletonMark; 04/06/2005 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04/06/2005, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

I've been bare bottom for years and would never trouble myself with more work by adding sand,coral,ect.

oh by the way I hear all you guys crying about it doesn't look natural without, I disagree but hey, to each his own right. besides I think any well taken care of reef looks great IMO. whether its BB or not BB
Old 04/06/2005, 06:46 AM
Free the Three wm3.org

I've seen just one bare bottom tank in person and didnt like the look of it. I have not seen any pics that I think look any better bare bottom then they would with sand. It's sand all the way for me. I have a dsb now, but when I upgrade tanks it will probably be a ssb. Aside from looks I keep a few lps, rics, and zoa's along with sps, and my understanding is they would not do as good in a bb.
Old 04/06/2005, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

I gave up on the bb. Too many algae problems. Even with a beckett skimmer running wet and Tunze streams. DSB really is the way to go unless you really have the time to maintain a bb tank with massive water changes.
Old 04/06/2005, 07:55 AM
10 & Over Club

I gave up on the DSB. Too many algae problems. Even with a becket skimmer running wet and Iwaki100s. BB really is the way to go unless you really have the time to maintain a DSB by buying recharge critters, having a refugia, growing and harvesting algae, taking a microscope and counting the critters in your sand bed, doing massive water changes, and knowing that one day it can crash on you with no warning.

LOL